Tndeer Logo

Page all of 5 12345>
Topic Options
#3064844 - 12/05/12 02:19 PM What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut???
smyrnagc
6 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

I hunt Williamson, Wilson and Rutherford counties and it seems that the rut has been out of the ordinary this year. We saw allot of activity the first 10 days of November in Williamson but haven't really seen anything heat up yet in Rutherford or Wilson. Strangest rut I have seen in many years.

Are parts of mid TN in what is called a "Trickle Rut" due to the extreme warm temps? And if so, can we still expect things to heat up in the next 2-3 weeks?

I spent about 30 hours in the stand from Thanksgiving through that Sunday, in three different mid TN counties and only saw one small 6 pt and a doe...oh yeah, and a 5' black snake sunning itself in a logging road.

WHAT'S THE DANG DEAL?

#3064869 - 12/05/12 02:36 PM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: smyrnagc]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

The most "classic" rut we have had in years here in East TN. I suspect if you didnt start until Thanksgiving you likely missed the biggest part of it!
#3064882 - 12/05/12 02:41 PM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: Winchester]
droptine
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville

the property owner of the Knox County land i hunt is seeing chasing this week. One right through his front yard yesterday.
#3064910 - 12/05/12 02:58 PM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: droptine]
hunterncoach
6 Point

Loc: northern middle tn

personally I think that the warm temps stiffened alot of the daytime chasing early in Nov., but I do wonder & maybe BSK can ....Do you think that the sudden & extreme hunting pressure during the muzzleloader season (which is now like opening day used to be) shocks the deer & causes them to go nocturnal even though they should be moving like crazy during that time?
#3064921 - 12/05/12 03:04 PM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: hunterncoach]
Hollar Hunter
8 Point

content Online
The rut will happen no matter the temps but when its warm outside MOST of the activity occurs during the night. The first part of Nov. was very good weather and here in middle TN that's when the rut usually gets really fired up but the sudden warm up that occurred really killed a LOT of the daytime activity.

Spend your time where you get the most return on it...

#3064932 - 12/05/12 03:10 PM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: Winchester]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Winchester
The most "classic" rut we have had in years here in East TN.

Same around Nashville over towards my area of work (western Highland Rim). Although it did appear to be a couple of days early. But VERY active, more like we used to see 6 or 7 years ago. I suspect the weather had a lot to do with that.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3064934 - 12/05/12 03:11 PM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: hunterncoach]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: hunterncoach
Do you think that the sudden & extreme hunting pressure during the muzzleloader season (which is now like opening day used to be) shocks the deer & causes them to go nocturnal even though they should be moving like crazy during that time?

Absolutely. Deer, and especially older bucks, react VERY quickly to sudden increases in hunting pressure. But this year, with the better weather than we have had in the recent past few years, was a pretty darn good rut in my area, despite the reaction of deer to the beginning of MZ season.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3064940 - 12/05/12 03:14 PM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: Winchester]
bigtex
8 Point

Loc: Brush Creek

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Winchester
The most "classic" rut we have had in years here in East TN. I suspect if you didnt start until Thanksgiving you likely missed the biggest part of it!

X2, I saw more rutting activity this year than in many years past. I do think it happened a little earlier than usuall but none the less it was very exciting when it was going on.

#3064944 - 12/05/12 03:19 PM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: bigtex]
HuntingDicksonDTC
8 Point

Loc: Dickson

content Online
Same here, alot of activity first couple weeks of November. Numerous bucks seen every time out - Since week after rifle opener have only seen 3 small bucks total

Treat a man as he could be & he will become what he should be.

#3064993 - 12/05/12 03:56 PM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: HuntingDicksonDTC]
muddyboots
12 Point

Loc: savannah, tn., usa

It seems to just have started here saturday. I saw 5 bucks saturday morning all seeking. I have seen 4 mature bucks since monday driving to and from work. Took a pic of one this morning who crossed in front of me with me phone. He just stood there in that rut daze as i call it. Places that had no sign saturday have literally exploded with sign since then. If it was cold here it would be amazing.

#3065063 - 12/05/12 04:57 PM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: muddyboots]
BSK
Non-Typical

Muddyboots,

For your area, that sounds right.

#3065079 - 12/05/12 05:07 PM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: muddyboots]
Dawson
4 Point

Loc: Williamson County

Rut was over and done by Thanksgiving on my place in Franklin. First 2 weeks of November were prime. Happened around Thanksgiving in Giles County and is now over. Warm temps had them running mostly at night there. I think those who say it hasn't happened yet in southern middle Tn missed it.
#3065125 - 12/05/12 05:41 PM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: Dawson]
feathersandfur2214
4 Point

Loc: Roane Co, TN

but there will be a "secondary" rut as well.Usually around mid-December where I hunt. One of the best times to hunt in my opinion
#3065127 - 12/05/12 05:43 PM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: feathersandfur2214]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Loc: NASHVILLE, TN

Rut was right on time in Hickman. The cooler weather definitely helped bring that to surface

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3065195 - 12/05/12 06:28 PM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: JCDEERMAN]
Outdoor Enthusiast
6 Point

Loc: Carthage, TN

Originally Posted By: JCDEERMAN
Rut was right on time in Hickman. The cooler weather definitely helped bring that to surface

Same for Smith. Weather during 2nd week of MZ and opening rifle produced some great action for me.

#3065221 - 12/05/12 06:42 PM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: JCDEERMAN]
TN24081
TnDeer Old Timer
8 Point

Loc: southern middle Tennessee

On my farm in Giles County, Nov. 13 was the day I noticed a major change. I went from seeing no rutting behavior almost all the way thru muzzleloader and then on Tuesday Nov 13 I seen several bucks cruising and some chasing too. From that point on, it got better, peaking around the 23rd or so. During that time I usually spent 8-12 hours in the woods, in a stand. I witnessed many chases, a very violent fight between two 2 1/2 yr old bucks and 2 does that were being tended. My or my family's place is 700+ acres and I live on it so I get to see a lot of deer even when I'm not hunting. I don't know what to tell those that say it hasn't happened yet, accept to say that it already happened on our place...
#3065355 - 12/05/12 08:07 PM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: muddyboots]
Bone Collector
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

I saw some in Rutherford. I can only hunt the weekends and days off. I saw crusiing bucks no does all through ML. Then I saw chasing around Thanksgiving. around the second week of ML i started seeing scrapes.

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
General James Mattis

#3065381 - 12/05/12 08:22 PM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: Bone Collector]
BowGuy84
10 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN and Louisville, ...

Trail cams, hunter observations, and quantity of sing all point to a less than desireable rut around Louisville.

It was good in NW Indiana. I don't know what could make it vary in different locations.

It seemed on track in KY about the 5th of Nov. but never materialized after that (temps warmed).

#3065404 - 12/05/12 08:39 PM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: muddyboots]
mossyhorns300
10 Point

Loc: memphis, tn & savannah, tn

Originally Posted By: muddyboots
It seems to just have started here saturday. I saw 5 bucks saturday morning all seeking. I have seen 4 mature bucks since monday driving to and from work. Took a pic of one this morning who crossed in front of me with me phone. He just stood there in that rut daze as i call it. Places that had no sign saturday have literally exploded with sign since then. If it was cold here it would be amazing.

100% what happened at our place in savannah also. I hunted a stand saturday and I went back Sunday to pull a camera from down there and found 4 scrapes 40 yds in front of the stand that weren't there the day before. We saw a breakout of fresh scrapes that just popped up over the weekend in several places.

Pretty women make us buy beer...........Ugly women make us drink beer!

#3065698 - 12/06/12 07:12 AM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: mossyhorns300]
TN24081
TnDeer Old Timer
8 Point

Loc: southern middle Tennessee

Originally Posted By: mossyhorns300

100% what happened at our place in savannah also. I hunted a stand saturday and I went back Sunday to pull a camera from down there and found 4 scrapes 40 yds in front of the stand that weren't there the day before. We saw a breakout of fresh scrapes that just popped up over the weekend in several places.

It's been my experience that from somewhere in the area of Wayne or Hardin County, westward all the way to Shelby County, the rut is always the first week of December.

Edited by TN24081 (12/06/12 07:12 AM)

#3065748 - 12/06/12 07:43 AM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: BSK]
muddyboots
12 Point

Originally Posted By: BSK
Muddyboots,

Not the last 4 or 5 years since i started keeping up with it! This year is totally different.

#3065790 - 12/06/12 08:10 AM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: muddyboots]
BSK
Non-Typical

Muddyboots,

Not the last 4 or 5 years since i started keeping up with it! This year is totally different.

Interesting. What has the timeline been over the last 4-5 years?

#3065854 - 12/06/12 08:54 AM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: smyrnagc]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

content Online
I saw, hands down, THE most chasing and buck activity I've seen in 30+ years of hunting on the opening Sat, both morning and eve. As I don't hunt on Sundays, I was back out there on Monday, and the rest of the week as well. I didn't see but two does the entire week! But, on the following Sat, I saw some more activity again but right at dark mostly. I just attributed the sudden lack of sightings as the deer had "chased" themselves off our 100+ acres, and then back on, and off, and on...etc.

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3065951 - 12/06/12 10:04 AM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: MUP]
coontracker49
Spike

I am just now seeing scraps and rubs here in east tn in some places and others have been there for a while it appears to just depend on where you are for the rut its no longer a calendar setting process i dont care what anyone says about it I remember when if I went down the road here and found scraps and rubs I could go to greene co. and see the same activity but not no more
#3066037 - 12/06/12 11:05 AM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: coontracker49]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: coontracker49
...it appears to just depend on where you are for the rut its no longer a calendar setting process i dont care what anyone says about it...

Well then, I guess you won't care about this response, but estrus timing in does is somewhat genetic (and hereditary). However, each family group of does can have a different genetic estrus timing. And even across fairly short geographic distances, doe groups can have differences in timing of several weeks.

In addition, each region will have a different primary timing linked to whatever conditions in early summer produce the highest fawn survival. That is how Naural Selection works. Whatever produces the highest offspring production and survival becomes favored in the genetics of the local population. If that is a rut timing in November with fawn birthing in early June, that timing will become dominant in the local population. If conditions are better for fawn survival in early July, a genetic estrus timing for a rut in December will become dominant. That's the way Nature works.

#3066066 - 12/06/12 11:20 AM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: BSK]
smyrnagc
6 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Well then, I guess you won't care about this response, but estrus timing in does is somewhat genetic (and hereditary). However, each family group of does can have a different genetic estrus timing. And even across fairly short geographic distances, doe groups can have differences in timing of several weeks.

In addition, each region will have a different primary timing linked to whatever conditions in early summer produce the highest fawn survival. That is how Naural Selection works. Whatever produces the highest offspring production and survival becomes favored in the genetics of the local population. If that is a rut timing in November with fawn birthing in early June, that timing will become dominant in the local population. If conditions are better for fawn survival in early July, a genetic estrus timing for a rut in December will become dominant. That's the way Nature works.
[/quote]

So, based on Natural Selcetion regardless of unusual temperature changes, in this case in middle TN, the does will go into estreus close to the same time each year?

#3066080 - 12/06/12 11:35 AM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: muddyboots]
BHC
6 Point

Loc: Wayne Co. , Tennessee

content Online
I'm in Wayne county and I expect some of the best activity this coming week. Until thanksgiving week you couldn't hardly find a scrape, which is odd as scrapes usually show up 1st of Nov. I believe this comin week will be the best week of the yr for our place...

#3066095 - 12/06/12 11:43 AM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: TN24081]
Jarred525
8 Point

Loc: Giles Tennessee

Originally Posted By: TN24081
On my farm in Giles County, Nov. 13 was the day I noticed a major change. I went from seeing no rutting behavior almost all the way thru muzzleloader and then on Tuesday Nov 13 I seen several bucks cruising and some chasing too. From that point on, it got better, peaking around the 23rd or so. During that time I usually spent 8-12 hours in the woods, in a stand. I witnessed many chases, a very violent fight between two 2 1/2 yr old bucks and 2 does that were being tended. My or my family's place is 700+ acres and I live on it so I get to see a lot of deer even when I'm not hunting. I don't know what to tell those that say it hasn't happened yet, accept to say that it already happened on our place...

Good assessment for Giles. I saw my first doe in heat 11/18 and the 14 days after that we had great rut activity. Probably the best I have ever seen on our place. A first for me was seeing 3 different does in heat out of the same stand on 11/25. Cold weather definitely helped.

#3066099 - 12/06/12 11:46 AM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: BSK]
muddyboots
12 Point

Muddyboots,

Lease in Northern part of County has been first 2 1/2 weeks november.

#3066109 - 12/06/12 11:51 AM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: Dawson]
BHC
6 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Dawson
Rut was over and done by Thanksgiving on my place in Franklin. First 2 weeks of November were prime. Happened around Thanksgiving in Giles County and is now over. Warm temps had them running mostly at night there. I think those who say it hasn't happened yet in southern middle Tn missed it.

Well explain this. I keep my cams on scrapes from unusually the 25 of Oct- the end of the yr. this yr until 2 weeks ago it would take you half a day to find a scrape much less put 7 cams on scrapes through out the property in an hr I I usually can. Most mature bucks are killed on our place in Dec usually anyway despite early scraping activity...

#3066119 - 12/06/12 11:58 AM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: smyrnagc]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: smyrnagc
So, based on Natural Selcetion regardless of unusual temperature changes, in this case in middle TN, the does will go into estreus close to the same time each year?

Each doe family group will enter estrus on or about the same dates every year. However, all of the doe groups in one area won't be on the exact same schedule. In any given location, breeding spreads over a 5-6 week timeframe, although more than half of does in a given location will be bred during about a 2 week span, called "the peak of breeding." This peak of breeding is usually skewed towards the front end of the whole breeding process.

#3066143 - 12/06/12 12:14 PM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: muddyboots]
BSK
Non-Typical

Muddyboots,

Big difference in rut timing from northern Giles to southern Giles.

#3066195 - 12/06/12 12:39 PM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: BSK]
muddyboots
12 Point

Muddyboots,

Big difference in rut timing from northern Giles to southern Giles.

Im in Hardin County.

#3066260 - 12/06/12 01:22 PM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: muddyboots]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

content Online
Southern Giles should be in the peak, prime, middle, best, time to kill one. December 1st through 10th are the best. Too bad its been like 75 everday except today and I can't go at all during the week days.

I think no matter what happens the breeding is the same every year. The weather/temperature dictates how much we see it during the day time. Unfortunately for me, and several others, we have missed the rut because its now hot weather in my area during prime time. Thanksgiving week is prime time for many hunters and it was pretty warm on those days too.

Edited by woodsman87 (12/06/12 01:28 PM)

#3068308 - 12/07/12 04:52 PM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: BHC]
JChunts
Spike

Loc: Cullman, Al/Wayne county TN

What part of Wayne County are you in BHC. Im North of Waynesboro. On Nov. 9th I found several scrapes on our place in 5 different locations on 600 acres. They were worked mostly at night up till i swithced cards on the 1st. I haven't seen a deer while hunting up there though. I've only been 3 times. I don't have much experience hunting up there as it is mostly a place I turkey hunt. Just some info for you.
#3068542 - 12/07/12 08:04 PM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: BHC]
coontracker49
Spike

I am just now finding scrap activity up here in places some trees was rub in the beg. of nov. but some are new and I mean new
#3068799 - 12/07/12 11:16 PM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: coontracker49]
BHC
6 Point

content Online
We're close to lutts. A 145" 4+ yr old stepped out on a greenfield at 4:00 pm. I'd say bucks are up cruising. Keep in mind the crappy weather. Another strange thing on our place this yr is the lack of acorns, few and far between.

#3068804 - 12/07/12 11:22 PM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: BHC]
BHC
6 Point

content Online
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x437...05858F9511E.jpg
My guess is this week will be the best of season in our area of Wayne co. We're right on Hardin county line

#3068822 - 12/08/12 12:04 AM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: muddyboots]
cbcs1987
4 Point

Loc: east

It is wide open in east Tennessee right now.lots of mature bucks moving during daylight hours with their nose to the ground on mycameras. Never seen half of them before this week.
#3068932 - 12/08/12 07:10 AM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: cbcs1987]
TN Whitetail Freak
8 Point

Loc: Bradford, TN (Gibson Co.)

3 buck limit is the problem....no bucks around to have a rut

M.I.A.

#3069028 - 12/08/12 08:13 AM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: TN Whitetail Freak]
Roost 1
10 Point

Loc: KY

Hunting the rut is over-rated!!!

Z7extreme
Savage 10ML 2
Remington 700P

#3069188 - 12/08/12 10:30 AM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: TN Whitetail Freak]
STICKLE
Spike

Loc: pleasant shade,tn

if we actually took more does than trying to take those baby bucks or everything in between poor rack and mature one we would probably have a better buck doe ratio and there would be alot more chasing and activity,but i dont see all us average hunters doing that from what i can tell we just keep on taking bucks despite the rack quality,and maybe a doe or two in the end most people i talk to at end of a season usally take 1 to 2 does and tage out on the 3 bucks so thats not helping us out at all should be the other way,just my opinion thow
#3069191 - 12/08/12 10:33 AM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: STICKLE]
STICKLE
Spike

Loc: pleasant shade,tn

its not over rated its just more does so bucks dont have to choose as much or chase when your one of few dudes at saloon full of women chances are you aint gonna have to try to hard to nail one,lol about the same concept,just work on thinning does in your hunting area and i mean thinning them out,lol good luck
#3069265 - 12/08/12 11:35 AM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: STICKLE]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: STICKLE
...in the end most people i talk to at end of a season usally take 1 to 2 does and tage out on the 3 bucks

[note: my emphasis added above]

Really? Most people? Do you realize only a tiny number of hunters kill 3 bucks per year? Do you realize hunters in TN kill the same percent of young bucks as hunters in the "trophy state" do?

Page all of 5 12345>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Outdoor Lady, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bassassassin7, BBQ, Kornhunter, Afleming17, 260rem
13281 Registered Users
Who's Online
90 registered (Woodchuck, TRIGGER, MUP, Living2Hunt, leader, Yotehntr, 12 invisible) and 138 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13281 Members
42 Forums
85241 Topics
1030227 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.223 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.