Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3063839 - 12/04/12 08:07 PM Trout stockings
David
6 Point

Loc: Middle TN

May try one of these to kill some time. Any recommendations on bait and colors, guessing trout magnet is what most use, any other preferences? Never really trout fished before
#3063860 - 12/04/12 08:14 PM Re: Trout stockings [Re: David]
fishestoomuch
Button

Loc: Lexington,Tn 38305

guy told m,e just to get a can of whole kernal corn and use that
#3063861 - 12/04/12 08:14 PM Re: Trout stockings [Re: David]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

So funny, I had Christmas on my mind. I was thinking the thread was going to be about a stocking for Santa to stuff with trout on it.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#3063884 - 12/04/12 08:28 PM Re: Trout stockings [Re: gil1]
David
6 Point

Gil, your much further ahead than me, I still have deer and fish on the mind!
#3063999 - 12/04/12 09:41 PM Re: Trout stockings [Re: David]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Can of whole kernel sweet corn. The trout like to stay in a group for the first few day after stocking (from my experience). At Kroger you can get a 6 pound can of corn if you want to go all-out and have plenty to share.

#3064010 - 12/04/12 09:55 PM Re: Trout stockings [Re: catman529]
David
6 Point

Do you just put on hook and float it on top, or tight line using sinker to bottom? Sorry for stupid questions!
#3064058 - 12/04/12 11:20 PM Re: Trout stockings [Re: David]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

bobber works well, or drift it with a couple split shot, just use a small bait holder like a #6 or #8 eagle claw and light line. the hard part is getting your line out among the other lines.

#3064603 - 12/05/12 11:35 AM Re: Trout stockings [Re: David]
striperhunter90
4 Point

Loc: mcminnville tn

Originally Posted By: David
May try one of these to kill some time. Any recommendations on bait and colors, guessing trout magnet is what most use, any other preferences? Never really trout fished before

Where are yo0u from? i would be willing to hook up with you and go sometime. i usually fish caney fork and am always looking for someone to go with

If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business

#3065091 - 12/05/12 05:15 PM Re: Trout stockings [Re: striperhunter90]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

I assume you are talking about the stocked trout in the suburban ponds that they do in winter...

I typically use my bream fishing rod (4-6 lb test line) due to their finicky eating habits. Heavier line is a deal killer.

Most common method that most folks I see use is to put weight about 12-16" above the hook. Some folks just use split shot, but that can get annoying when the weights slide towards the hook. If you crimp them too hard, you can put cuts in your line and lose fish. You can get around this by using a bullet weight and a barrel swivel, and using an extra piece of line as a "leader". That way the weight is guaranteed to stay put at the location of the swivel.

Use enough weight to cast a bit, and realize that windy winter days can cause your line to pull around, so plan on that. I generally use a 1/8 oz bullet weight, but sometimes go lighter if I can.

I would go to a sporting goods store and buy a couple of other baits in different colors, in addition to the corn. Trout fishing for stockies is similar to crappie fishing in that sometimes color is key, and sometimes it doesn't matter at all. I generally get some of those dyed marshmellows and a small can or two of the pre-formed floating Powerbait made by Berkley (comes in strings of little balls that are pretty tough and won't come off the hook).

Corn works OK sometimes, but when fishing these lakes/ponds, you often have issues with leaf litter on the bottom - it's not rocky like a typical trout stream. Corn doesn't float, so it will lay directly on the bottom, and can get obscured by the leaves. Many times when I reel in my line the corn-baited hook is covered with crap, and obviously no fish was looking at it. The point in the distance between the weight and the hook and using the floating bait is that the presentation will float off the bottom by about a foot, and trout hang near the bottom in the ponds (usually).

I've never done that well with floats, but sometimes they work in the right conditions. They can be really handy when trying to locate the fish, if you try moving it across areas or letting it drift with the wind.

Make sure to buy small hooks - no more than 2 pieces of bait to cover a hook seems to be a good rule of thumb. Some folks swear by the gold ones - again, color *sometimes* matters. I generally use whatever bream hooks I have laying around that are on the small side, but I've seen guys do really well that were doing the same thing as me except for hook choice.

Cast it out, put it on a rod holder or prop it against something, and don't touch it. The first couple taps are often them "lipping the bait", so usually you have to get a harder strike. It's relatively common to miss strikes, so don't be too surprised.

Trout have small mouths and swallow hooks a lot when using bait, so be sure to have needle nose pliers at a bare minimum. Even better are the medical-style "hemostats" due to the narrow ends.

Be sure to know the regs/limit and have a state trout stamp if you don't have a sportsman's license (in addition to the regular fishing license).

Only keep what you plan to eat, because trout aren't particularly tasty after frozen. They have a lot of oils (in the skin especially) that cause them to get extremely "fishy" tasting after freezing, but are decent table fare when cooked fresh. Cutting off the head, pulling out the guts, and grilling whole while wrapped in foil with seasoning & butter is a common method.

I know, I know... I'm long-winded.

#3065225 - 12/05/12 06:43 PM Re: Trout stockings [Re: Crosshairy]
57bear
4 Point

Loc: drummonds, tn

Yea, You about covered it. Any other questions.
Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered and 39 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180120 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.007 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.