Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#3064191 - 12/05/12 06:49 AM Re: Lost interest [Re: lpo1981]
Hawk11
Spike

Loc: Williamson, TN

At the beginning of this season, I told my wife that I was going to play more golf this fall and deer hunt less. In her wisdom and knowing me, she said, hum, we shall see. One of the reasons at 52 that I still wake up with a passion for hunting, is that I got involved in a ministry that works with low income, mainly black kids and who for the most part, don't have a father at home. 5 years ago, I took one kid turkey hunting and sense that time we have had 43 kids to go through Hunters Safety class and many of these have killed their first buck, turkey, ducks, coyote, etc in our program. Two of our biggest challenges is having men involved that have a heart to mentor and teach these kids not just about hunting but about life and more importantly, a life with Jesus Christ. The second challenge is no surprise is getting access to hunting property. however, having started with nothing we now have access to almost 600-700 acres spread around middle TN. Only reason I am telling this as there are times I feel like the guy that started this thread but mentoring and teaching and being with these kids is exciting. I was with one of our boys in MZ and he shot a young 6, but I felt after watching his excitement we had just killed the state record.

Therefore, if interested still in hunting but don't have the passion, challenge each one of you reading to take the initiative to reach out to some kids at church, school that would like to hunt and go teach them, the passion will return. Secondly, if you have good hunting clothes or stands, guns and stuff you no longer use, we can put them to use, let me know.

Thanks and Merry Christmas. (forgive the typo, didn't know how to get back to correct)

#3064211 - 12/05/12 07:07 AM Re: Lost interest [Re: Hawk11]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

confused Online
 Originally Posted By: Hawk11
At the beginning of this season, I told my wife that I was going to play more golf this fall and deer hunt less. In her wisdom and knowing me, she said, hum, we shall see. One of the reasons at 52 that I still wake up with a passion for hunting, is that I got involved in a ministry that works with low income, mainly black kids and who for the most part, don't have a father at home. 5 years ago, I took one kid turkey hunting and sense that time we have had 43 kids to go through Hunters Safety class and many of these have killed their first buck, turkey, ducks, coyote, etc in our program. Two of our biggest challenges is having men involved that have a heart to mentor and teach these kids not just about hunting but about life and more importantly, a life with Jesus Christ. The second challenge is no surprise is getting access to hunting property. however, having started with nothing we now have access to almost 600-700 acres spread around middle TN. Only reason I am telling this as there are times I feel like the guy that started this thread but mentoring and teaching and being with these kids is exciting. I was with one of our boys in MZ and he shot a young 6, but I felt after watching his excitement we had just killed the state record.

Therefore, if interested still in hunting but don't have the passion, challenge each one of you reading to take the initiative to reach out to some kids at church, school that would like to hunt and go teach them, the passion will return. Secondly, if you have good hunting clothes or stands, guns and stuff you no longer use, we can put them to use, let me know.

Thanks and Merry Christmas. (forgive the typo, didn't know how to get back to correct)
that's cool right there. Thanks for taking the kids hunting and getting them some quality time in the outdoors.

#3064235 - 12/05/12 07:24 AM Re: Lost interest [Re: catman529]
WRbowhunter
8 Point

Loc: collierville,tn

Sorry to hear about your situation. But like with everything if it gets to easy then why do it. Find another hobby or find a way to make deer hunting a challenge for you. In my opinion that's what all this one buck limit talk is all about. A certain portion of the hunters either have the location to hunt or talent that can kill a nice size buck when ever they want. To make it a challenge for them they want bigger and older bucks and they see this as a way to reach that goal. however there are plenty of other ways that can challenge you. Bowhunt the entire year or even only hunt with traditional equipment. There are plenty of options that keep things interesting.You just have to find the one that does it for you. Hope you find it

#3064244 - 12/05/12 07:27 AM Re: Lost interest [Re: catman529]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: catman529
 Originally Posted By: Hawk11

that's cool right there. Thanks for taking the kids hunting and getting them some quality time in the outdoors.

X10,000! Very, very, VERY cool stuff right there Hawk11! Keep up the good work.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3064266 - 12/05/12 07:40 AM Re: Lost interest [Re: steadyb]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: steadyb
...but I would rather put out plots and work on the land than hunt if that makes any sense. I have hunted horns only for the last ten years and have only killed two or three bucks in that time.

What someone gets out of hunting, and the things they like best about hunting will change over time. That's normal. I know a lot of hunters that have or are going through all of the "stages" of a hunter. They have gone from just wanting to kill any deer, to then wanting to maximize their kill, to wanting only a big buck. I've also seen (and personally experienced) a new phase, and that is the "management stage." Hunters in the management stage get more enjoyment with playing around with habitat improvements (timber thinning, food plots, fruit tree planting, etc.) and herd monitoring (trail-cameras) than the do the actual hunting. The "fun" is in seeing the progress in herd dynamics and health over time instead of what is hanging on the meat-pole at the end of the season. Personally, I believe I get more enjoyment out of running trail-cams than I do from the actual hunting. I've done the "big buck" stage, but eventually even that lost its allure. I have no idea what will be "next" after the management stage.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3064270 - 12/05/12 07:42 AM Re: Lost interest [Re: BSK]
savageman
6 Point

Loc: east tn

If you can kill one 90% of the time, you are hunting in a different world than me.
#3064461 - 12/05/12 09:54 AM Re: Lost interest [Re: BSK]
WMAn
8 Point

Loc: Williamson County

Originally Posted By: BSK
I've done the "big buck" stage, but eventually even that lost its allure. I have no idea what will be "next" after the management stage.

As a financial planner, I use a financial life cycle to compare age and net worth; it helps a client see where they are compared to where they should be. I showed it to one couple and their response was, "We're just glad to see we still have more stages to go." Meaning, they weren't in the last stage. So maybe you really need to figure out what's after the management stage? \:D

#3064677 - 12/05/12 12:38 PM Re: Lost interest [Re: WMAn]
coontracker49
Spike

Loc: TN

I have been hunting for 13 years havent killed a deer in 3 years havent as much seen a deer while huntin in 3 years before I had killed a deer a year now im gettin heart broken with it and disappointed but I still go thinking Ill get lucky but starting to get more interested in coon hunting and we dont kill coons alot of nights we go its just the thrill of hearing them and watching them run in the woods
#3064687 - 12/05/12 12:45 PM Re: Lost interest [Re: coontracker49]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

I also haven't killed a buck in over three years now since Thanksgiving. I have killed one doe in each of the three years and that is all. My first several years of hunting was great. And always seemed to kill at least one nice eight every year. now I just hardly even see them. I am very discouraged about what I have been doing wrong with my hunting and management techniques. I know I haven't forgot how to hunt. I just going through a cold spell. Also do not get to go everyday like I used to.
I go whenever I can thinking this will be the day.
Everytime I go squirrel hunting with dad and his dogs I see a scrape or rub and wish I was deer hunting.
I will probably quit deer one day as my dad did to hunt with dogs.

#3064704 - 12/05/12 12:59 PM Re: Lost interest [Re: woodsman87]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Im 41 and while my main focus has turned to making sure my 2 boys and my Dad are where they need to be, I still try to kill atleast 1 or 2 good bucks every year. I dont hunt or kill nearly as much as i once did, I still really enjoy the woods, especially with my family!
Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bmobrady3, bmo3, chrislee, Patriot123, DT33
13565 Registered Users
Who's Online
63 registered (DCA-DEER, Mr. Hawk, Mossy, Good time Charlie, bigtex, deerkiller07, 2 invisible) and 111 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13565 Members
43 Forums
99545 Topics
1171134 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.046 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.