Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#3063953 - 12/04/12 09:10 PM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: WMAn]
Master Chief
10 Point

Loc: Henderson County

sleepy Online
The agony of defeat.. aka every buck I've gotten on trail camera.

Here is the biggest but he was seen this week running across the road right at the trail I park at.. I was in the woods too! I guess he ran behind the ridge I was watching though.

btw-I saw him last year as a 4.5 (the only time he showed himself last year) and 90% he was 160.

Edited by Master Chief (12/04/12 09:17 PM)

Don't go ridin' on that long black train ;\)

#3063997 - 12/04/12 09:40 PM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: WMAn]
northeasthunter
8 Point

Loc: brentwood

lots of good ones
#3064208 - 12/05/12 07:06 AM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: WMAn]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: WMAn
BSK,

What did that 5 1/2 yo do to get himself killed by your neighbor?

Good question.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3064210 - 12/05/12 07:07 AM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: primos32]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: primos32
Wow! Awesome set of bucks! Makes me wonder how many good bucks like that statewide get away every year..

You wouldn't believe how many mature bucks I see on trail-cameras across the state, and the vast majority of those mature bucks--a few in the 150s to low 160s--are never seen or killed by hunters.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3064212 - 12/05/12 07:08 AM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: Master Chief]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Master Chief
btw-I saw him last year as a 4.5 (the only time he showed himself last year) and 90% he was 160.

Yeah, that buck is pushing 160s.

#3064601 - 12/05/12 11:31 AM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: BSK]
southernhunter
8 Point

Loc: alabama

Bsk, i been using trail cams for awhile , and running them this year since bow season til present . I have only got a pic of one nice deer the 3 1/2 year old on a farm that's 230 acres. that's joined by a other large tracts of land , til hunting season starts I set the cams up on baited sites , or food plots , I said all that to ask how many times to u see big deer killed in a area that no one ever got a pic of ? Or are there just that few of mature deer in my area ?

Edited by southernhunter (12/05/12 11:31 AM)

#3064639 - 12/05/12 12:08 PM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: southernhunter]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

I wish I had some big ones to post about my agony of defeat. I just get does and little ones.
#3064648 - 12/05/12 12:17 PM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: BSK]
Hollar Hunter
8 Point

Loc: TN

This is why cameras are a LOVE/HATE relationship! LOL

These are all my 2012 4.5+ targeted heartbreakers! We have some others that are 4.5+ but were kind of week on the horns. I would still shoot them in a heart beat but these are the biggest I have targeted this year.

This fella I seen during bow twice both times about 70 to 80 yards, Also seen him opening morning of Muzzleloader but only long enough to get my gun up and he was through the only hole I had. He was also seen twice crossing a grown up field during muzzleloader from the car.

[img][/img]
[img][/img]

This one I've never seen..

[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

Than there's THE MAN! My biggest upset to date! I seen this buck twice during bow both times I had to watch him for about 45+ minutes. I should have killed him the second time I seen him but I won't go into that to painful!!! As of 2 weeks ago he was still alive spotted on the adjoining farm which rarely gets hunted. I'm hoping in the next couple weeks he will come home to roost where he spent all summer and most of Oct. I'm not even hunting the area he lived in till he shows back up on camera just to keep any pressure off the area. BSK what would you age this guy at?

[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

This guy I think is some how related to the buck above as they have the exact same small fork on the right side G2 tine! No one has ever seen this fella!

[img][/img]
[img][/img]

This is the only mature buck 4.5+ we had targeted that actually bit the dust this year!

[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

Edited by Hollar Hunter (12/05/12 12:20 PM)

Spend your time where you get the most return on it...

#3064883 - 12/05/12 02:42 PM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: southernhunter]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: southernhunter
Bsk, i been using trail cams for awhile , and running them this year since bow season til present . I have only got a pic of one nice deer the 3 1/2 year old on a farm that's 230 acres. that's joined by a other large tracts of land , til hunting season starts I set the cams up on baited sites , or food plots , I said all that to ask how many times to u see big deer killed in a area that no one ever got a pic of ? Or are there just that few of mature deer in my area ?

Tough question to answer. Undoubtedly, I hear all the time about bucks being killed that were not on a hunter's trail-cameras. However, in my own experiences, I've been inordinately lucky to get the vast, vast majority of bucks on camera before they are killed by hunters. Over 13 years, on my own property and on clients' properties where I run the camera census (I place and check all cameras), 97% of hunter harvested bucks were previously photographed.

Now sometimes, it's a very close call, especially around the rut. Many bucks suddenly expand or even shift their seasonal range right at the beginning of the rut. This will cause a sudden surge of "new" bucks to start crossing a monitored property, and in the areas where I do most of my work, this also occurs just about the time MZ season is about to start. What happens--and this happens amazingly often--is a hunter kills a buck I did not have on camera. However, when I run the cameras the next time, there he is. He JUST showed up on camera (and probably just started using the property) just days before he was killed.

Unfortunately, learning where to place cameras to run a good non-baited census is a real learned art. It's taken me years to learn the best camera locations, and every year I learn something new that is added to my repeteur. Its a never-ending learning experience. For those that are killing a lot of bucks they didn't have on camera, the problem is usually improper camera placement or not moving cameras frequently enough. However, rut-season "range-shifting" bucks can also suddenly bring new harvestable bucks onto a property that can be hard to get on camera before they are killed.

#3064886 - 12/05/12 02:43 PM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: BSK]
BSK
Non-Typical

WOW Hollar Hunter! Those are some amazing bucks!

Honestly, I don't think that palmated buck is that old. I would say no older than 4 1/2 in those pictures.

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, gtk, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
zatoan, DanParchman3, saddleman1, Jculber301, Mik475
13282 Registered Users
Who's Online
102 registered (reloadxx, WGK, Backstrapcrazy, Model 1, old guy, grolfesst, 12 invisible) and 123 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13282 Members
42 Forums
93315 Topics
1089612 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.114 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.