Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#3063767 - 12/04/12 07:36 PM Re: Lost interest [Re: fairchaser]
rukiddin?
8 Point

Loc: E. Tenn

I know the feeling. I'm 35, grew up in another state (NC) and I have killed more deer than most will see. A couple good ones too. I have more private land than I can hunt. Sometimes its aggravating when I'm back home...Trying to decide where to go. I got into duck hunting and to this day, I'd much rather be duck hunting than deer hunting. We would duck hunt 45+ days a season with deer being an after thought..Duck hunting in East TN is a joke. Not worth the time or the effort for so few birds.
Since we moved to East TN. I all but quit both except when I go back home. Althought I have since picked up a peice of private property in E TN. I get burnt out and have'nt been there since the friday of ML. I have never deer hunted public land, never had to and I never will. Now on Saturday's, I shoot skeet or sporting clays. More fun.

"I'm gone to carolina in my mind"

#3063790 - 12/04/12 07:45 PM Re: Lost interest [Re: 8up]
cmoses
4 Point

Loc: Cottontown

Will if any of y'all want to give me some of that prime hunting land to hunt I will be glad to accept it

Lol

#3063796 - 12/04/12 07:48 PM Re: Lost interest [Re: cmoses]
Bone Collector
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

I guess if it was easy for me i would lose interest eventually, but maybe not. I can;t wait for the season to get here once it ends.

I too live in Mid Tn and if you want to talk to the land owner's and put us on the land we will be happy to shoot some of the deer

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
General James Mattis

#3063816 - 12/04/12 07:57 PM Re: Lost interest [Re: Bone Collector]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Loc: Benton Co.

Part of the hunt is the challenge of learning the land and habits of the deer on it.
Proverbs 3:27 Whenever you possibly can, do good to those who need it

#3063818 - 12/04/12 07:58 PM Re: Lost interest [Re: Bone Collector]
tntaxidermist
4 Point

Loc: TN

The last deer I killed was in 1998 I believe, not real sure last time I deer hunted but its been at least 8 yrs Id say. I got heavy into turkey hunting and found deer hunting boring plus I didn't care much for sitting in the cold. I've wanted to get back into it the past couple of years because I want some meat but now I have nowhere to hunt.

#3063829 - 12/04/12 08:03 PM Re: Lost interest [Re: Bone Collector]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

I went through burnout in my early 30's too. I would find myself going deer hunting purely because I knew the season would end and I would "miss out" if I didn't go. I would dread the alarm clock going off but drag myself out of bed and go anyway. I finally got to the point that I would just walk through the woods with my rifle until one day I said to myself, "What are you doing if you don't enjoy this??" I quit for 11 years. But then one Fall about 10 years ago the old urge to deer hunt just came back. One thing that has contributed to my renewed interest is the whole idea of Quality Deer Management as it relates to habitat improvement. Planting food plots, trees and altering the native habitat around my farm to help the deer herd makes it much more fullfilling than just hunting. It's a year round involvement.
#3063892 - 12/04/12 08:33 PM Re: Lost interest [Re: ]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Many, MANY great posts on this thread. Steadyb, perhaps deer hunting has lost its challenge for you, and like fairchaser said, you must keep looking for the next higher challenge to stay interested. Or perhaps deer hunting just isn't your thing anymore. I've certainly seen friends and family drop out of deer hunting forever. They just lost interest as they aged. And that's OK. It isn't for everybody.

I truly hope you find something that will make you excited again, whether it is a new goal in deer hunting or something else entirely.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3064032 - 12/04/12 10:28 PM Re: Lost interest [Re: ]
steadyb
Button

Loc: middle tn

Good responses, I am spoiled in that I have good places to hunt. I own a farm with a chance at a good one but I would rather put out plots and work on the land than hunt if that makes any sense. I have hunted horns only for the last ten years and have only killed two or three bucks in that time. If my son would get into it I would again. I guess the thrill of seeing one when I was younger was much more than seeing many now. BTW I saw many more good bucks in Md. Tn 25 years ago than I do now.
#3064038 - 12/04/12 10:38 PM Re: Lost interest [Re: 8up]
steadyb
Button

Loc: middle tn

I just realized that companionship was a large part of deer hunting when I was younger. We would go to LBL, Catoosa, Natchez Trace, etc... always in a group of dad and kids. We hardly ever killed anything back then but talking about the hunt, camping, cooking and all of that was a big part of hunting. I hate hunting by myself anymore which is what I do if I go.

Edited by steadyb (12/04/12 10:40 PM)

#3064117 - 12/05/12 04:46 AM Re: Lost interest [Re: steadyb]
lpo1981
6 Point

Loc: Dickson, TN

I've noticed over the last few years that my desire to go still remains but somedays I lack the drive to go and get out of bed and that may be weather induced or the fact that I may be running trail cameras year at my house and don't have a lot of good daylight pictures or maybe it's my nagging wife who seems to get more irritated with deer hunting at every passing year or could be just simply that for about 4 years the only place I had to hunt was the 36 acres my parents own and had no other place to go and over pressured the place reducing the amount of deer I saw... Regardless of what cause it may be when I am out I enjoy the peacefulness of hunting and being alone and still get excited about seeing deer especially good mature ones. I like some others will kill a few does a year and usually take 1 good mature buck a year. Generally if I kill early in the year around muzzleloader or gun then I don't go quite go as much.. I don't bow him at all because when I did I was extremely burnt out come November. I find now though that running trail cameras and doing work around the property and increasing habitat for the better to me much more enjoyable than actually hunting sometimes.. But there isn't any greater feeling than to to do all those things and practice qdm and develop a history with a deer for 3 or 4 years then finally getting to harvest that animal..
Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
102 registered (ADR, bassybuck47, L.C. Kid, Daniel n, stik, infoman jr., 9 invisible) and 134 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91505 Topics
1069774 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.046 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.