Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#3063503 - 12/04/12 05:02 PM Lost interest
steadyb
Button

Loc: middle tn

I'm 39 and deer hunted hard since I was a kid. Then seeing a deer was a big deal much less killing one. I have killed many since. The last few years I have basically no interst in deer hunting. My son killed one when he was eight and got sad about and doesn't care about killing another one. I have many places to hunt now, much more than when I was younger. I could kill a deer 90% of the time. I think that is why I lost interest. I know a lot of you guys have to hunt public and that is tough. Anybody else in my boat?
#3063518 - 12/04/12 05:13 PM Re: Lost interest [Re: steadyb]
jar
4 Point

Loc: tn, rutherford county

Im 42 and still hunt more than most but Ive gotten pretty picky. Ive got plenty of places to hunt but a few places I have not hunted in 3 or 4 years. What interests me more is working on my food plots. Ive got maybe 5 acres spread out in 7 small spots. Ive killed 2 bucks this year one aged 3.5 by GW at check in station the other was much bigger not aged. I enjoy getting a picture and trying to see the deer in the woods even if its not a shooter. Ive had much more luck by doing quick scouting walks and moving cameras than just sitting in a tree all the time. Ill be eastern KY for the late ML and dont rreally care if I see a deer, but Ill be disappointed if I dont see the elk.
#3063524 - 12/04/12 05:19 PM Re: Lost interest [Re: jar]
bigtex
8 Point

Loc: Brush Creek

I'm 62 and have been deer hunting since I was 16. I enjoy it just as much or more now than I did then.
When the thrill goes away i'll quit. Untill then.....as long as my tired old bones will get me in the woods and the good Lord's willing i'll be there.

#3063525 - 12/04/12 05:21 PM Re: Lost interest [Re: steadyb]
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

I am in the opposite boat. I own no land, lost my lease, and have no permission. All my scouting and hunting is on public land. Work has kept me from hunting as much as I wanted to this year. I finally got my first deer of the year on Sunday with my bow. It was just a doe, but I was as happy and excited as anybody to have got a deer and put some venison in the freezer. I think the harder you have to work for things in life, the more you appreciate them. If big bucks and deer sightings come really easy for you, then I could see the thrill fading. I think it's important to find a way to make it challenging to create a sense of accomplishment and appreciation.

#3063533 - 12/04/12 05:25 PM Re: Lost interest [Re: jar]
7mminatree
6 Point

Loc: Unicoi Tn.

I had simular feelings about turkey hunting some years ago. I had a private farm swarming with turkeys and I could tag out in a matter of days when the season opened. I thought I was an expert and should write a book because of my turkey hunting prowess. I soon became bored with turkey hunting. Well that farm got sold and I soon found myself hunting public land again and I learned I wasn't the expert I thought I was because I got skunked for a few years. That humbled me and also renewed the fire that had been put out. I would say take a break from deer hunting or mybe challenge yourself to a harder type of hunting.
#3063639 - 12/04/12 06:35 PM Re: Lost interest [Re: 7mminatree]
JRE
4 Point

Loc: Knoxville, TN

I'm in the exact same boat. When I started hunting 20 years ago I only had access to heavily hunted public land in East Tennessee. Just seeing a deer was a treat. Now I have private leases of prime hunting land in TN, IL, and SD, but I only go hunting on a few occasions. The good thing is, I've become more patient, seen many more quality deer, and don't feel bad if I don't kill one.
#3063691 - 12/04/12 06:59 PM Re: Lost interest [Re: JRE]
Gravey
16 Point

Loc: Rutherford / Wilson County Lin...

I'm knocking on 40's door too but still have the fire. My most important goal is getting my son his first buck. I see you're in middle TN so if you want to let me hunt all your spots I'm available. LOL

#3063723 - 12/04/12 07:14 PM Re: Lost interest [Re: Gravey]
moondawg
16 Point

Loc: Millington, TN

I've somewhat lost interest as well. Different things keep popping up (work, family, etc) that keep me from hunting as much as I'd like. That, and this warm weather doesn't exactly make me want to go hunting, I like hunting when it's cold.

#3063724 - 12/04/12 07:14 PM Re: Lost interest [Re: JRE]
fairchaser
8 Point

Loc: TN, USA

content Online
I learned many years ago that it is about the hunt and not the kill. I do not hunt to kill but kill to have hunted. Most can go and kill a deer almost any hunt. So, we keep raising the bar to a level of what seems impossible but will become possible later after much patience and dilligence. Some can go years without success and others want some kind of success each season. To each their own. If you don't enjoy the hunt and all that goes with it, you simply will give up because their isn't enough success to make it worthwhile or the success is too easy and no challenge. I have hunted with a friend for almost 30 years and he finally took a really good buck this past Saturday. The thrill of that can't be replicated. I hope you will find the excitement of thrill of being in God's great creation again and create the challenge of hunting. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

#3063760 - 12/04/12 07:33 PM Re: Lost interest [Re: JRE]
8up
Good ol' Boys
10 Point

Loc: Stewart co.

Maybe your a victim of getting what you always wanted. The time and land to hunt all you want.

Until 10 years ago I was lucky if I got to hunt 8-10 days a year. I had 1 200 acre farm that was 90% one large field. I was always fired up and could not wait. I even bathed in a river with ice on its edges before opening morning once so as not to be winded. I wished that I could do it everyday. The shows on tv made me wish I could even do it for a living. I might see 30 deer a day and never a buck. If it had horns you pulled the trigger knowing you might be the only one at camp that got any meat. To kill a doe you had to draw a permit in a lottery. The shut the plant in Evart MI down for opening day and closed the schools. I won 3rd place one year with a small scrub 7pt(60")

Now I live close to Fort campbell and LBL but also have about 500 acres of private land to hunt with some of that bordering Cross creek wildlife. I can hunt just about any day. I still get pumped when I do connect on a good deer. But I have trouble getting pumped up and out of bed to go. I have killed teice as many bucks now, here in TN. I do miss the good old days of deer camp.

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
111 registered (Deer Assassin, Grill-n-man, 280longshot, wildb1, doubledownranch, Puddleduck, 17 invisible) and 174 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
95927 Topics
1123351 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.142 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.