Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#3052871 - 11/28/12 07:23 AM Re: BSK/others advice on discouraged management? [Re: BSK]
SJS
Spike

Loc: Macomb Co,Mi / Houston Co,Tn

BSK....well said! I think a lot of hunters fall into this category me included. It's all about having fun with the family and friends, shooting some deer and having the chance to take a nice one once in a while. I do what I can with the property but time, money and distance interfer with really going crazy with improvements. I posted this pic earlier, but it just shows the progression as my older son was the one with a doe just a mere 12 years ago and now he has shot a nice buck every year with him taking a 134 a couple of years ago. Hopefully, his younger brother will follow the same path. Good post woodsman87!!

#3055143 - 11/29/12 01:30 PM Re: BSK/others advice on discouraged management? [Re: BSK]
OHVATN
4 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: lpo1981
 Originally Posted By: blueridge
Ideally what percentage of your hunting property should be left in sanctuary thicket?

The more the better, but 20% would be a good target.

If you have 36 acres how much would be good for a thicket... Looking for away to hold deer better on my small piece of property...

At least 6 acres would be nice. And remember, for it to work as intended, it must be left alone (little to no human intrusion) at any time of year. It must be a true sanctuary from human contact.

A single 20% of total acreage sanctuary or what about 2 or 3 sanctuaries totalling 20% in the aggregate? Thanks.

#3055227 - 11/29/12 02:24 PM Re: BSK/others advice on discouraged management? [Re: OHVATN]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: sds1961
A single 20% of total acreage sanctuary or what about 2 or 3 sanctuaries totalling 20% in the aggregate? Thanks.

That depends on how the property is hunted. If it is just one or two hunters, then a prefer a large, centrally located sanctuary. If multiple people hunt, I prefer to have multiple, smaller sanctuaries.

A large, centrally located sanctuary proabably works best biologically. But it will be hard for multiple hunters to hunt without stepping on each others' set-ups. With multiple hunters, multiple smaller sanctuaries will allow more hunting set-ups.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3056503 - 11/30/12 09:04 AM Re: BSK/others advice on discouraged management? [Re: BSK]
Stick'n'String
10 Point

Loc: Nashville

BSK,

Would it be acceptable/beneficial for these sanctuaries to only be hollows? In these hills we have several deep hollows that we never enter due to difficulty entering and inconsistent winds make them difficult to hunt anyhow. That said they probably aren't the "best" areas but when working with limited acreage are these acceptable or beneficial to set aside??

>>>--------->

#3059120 - 12/02/12 07:02 AM Re: BSK/others advice on discouraged management? [Re: Stick'n'String]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Stick'n'String
BSK,

Would it be acceptable/beneficial for these sanctuaries to only be hollows?

In ridge-and-hollow hardwoods, I think hollows and hillsides make the best sanctuaries.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3059137 - 12/02/12 07:17 AM Re: BSK/others advice on discouraged management? [Re: BSK]
lpo1981
6 Point

Loc: Dickson, TN

BSK,

In ridge-and-hollow hardwoods, I think hollows and hillsides make the best sanctuaries.

So would it be benificial to me on my small peice of property to go into the small draws/hollows and open them up a little with hinge cuts on smaller trees and tie down smaller ones that can be bent over to create thickets?

#3059146 - 12/02/12 07:23 AM Re: BSK/others advice on discouraged management? [Re: lpo1981]
BSK
Non-Typical

Absolutely. But you will need to open that canopy up pretty good. Hollows already get less sunlight, so your canopy openings must be fairly substantial to get the regrowth you want.

#3059193 - 12/02/12 07:54 AM Re: BSK/others advice on discouraged management? [Re: BSK]
lpo1981
6 Point

Loc: Dickson, TN

Thanks that's what I was looking for. Way my property lays I don't have a good area to make a large thicket around 20% but could go in the the 3 draws or hollows I have and make some small ones.
#3063266 - 12/04/12 03:08 PM Re: BSK/others advice on discouraged management? [Re: lpo1981]
String Music
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville

Originally Posted By: lpo1981
BSK,

So would it be benificial to me on my small peice of property to go into the small draws/hollows and open them up a little with hinge cuts on smaller trees and tie down smaller ones that can be bent over to create thickets?

To me, sanctuaries are more important than food plots. If deer don't feel safe on your property, no amount of food will convince them to stay. You can bet any use of the food plots will be well after dark.

In saying this, we have two different typs of sanctuaries: bedding sanctuaries and working sanctuaries. The bedding sanctuaries are strategically located in areas that the deer prefer to bed in. With some exceptions, the over majority of the deer on our property prefer to bed high on ridges and points where they can see below them and smell anything behind them. We have simply enhanced these locations by hinge-cutting and felling trees. Most importantly, these locations are off limits year-round.

Working sanctuaries are areas that we thicken up every couple of years and aren't as die hard about them being completely off limits.

My advice would be to walk over your property very thoroughly after the season and take note of every deer bed you find. I'd be willing to bet some of BSK's money that most of the beds you find will be closer to the ridge tops than in the hollows.

Once you figure out where the deer prefer to bed, then you can start creating the sanctuaries. Although we have a couple centrally located sanctuaries, most of our sanctuaries are smaller and are located in known bedding areas.

As for hinge-cutting, I would start up high and create security cover for the deer to bed in and around. Deer are like bass- they hang near structure. Then you can start creating cover in the hollows.
"For I know the plans I have for you..." Jer. 29:11

Hunting Photography:

facebook.com/AMOutdoorPhotography

www.amcunninghamoutdoors.com

#3063367 - 12/04/12 04:03 PM Re: BSK/others advice on discouraged management? [Re: String Music]
BSK
Non-Typical

Great stuff String Music. It sounds sacriledious, but I agree food plots can be over-rated as a management tool. Don't get me wrong, in certain circumstances they can be powerful and important weapons in the management quiver, but having worked on a lot of different properties across the country, sanctuary cover is usually the most important missing ingredient.

By the way, love the idea of the "working" sactuaries. Can I borrow that term?

Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13279 Registered Users
Who's Online
95 registered (SilverFox, encore06, Daniel n, ImThere, deerslazer, RKenney, 16 invisible) and 118 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13279 Members
42 Forums
93154 Topics
1088862 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.09 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.