Tndeer Logo

Page all of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#3063213 - 12/04/12 02:32 PM The agony of defeat
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Another thread got me thinking (I know, very dangerous). Let's see pictures of all the great bucks you HAVEN'T been able to kill. Oh, the agony of defeat... \:\(

Here's a few of mine:

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3063222 - 12/04/12 02:38 PM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: BSK]
southernhunter
8 Point

Loc: alabama

wow. you have had some good ones . the pic of the one i posted .is the best one i have ever had and i aint had but a couple that ever came second to him
#3063312 - 12/04/12 03:33 PM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: southernhunter]
Brisco Darlin
10 Point

Loc: East Tn.

content Online
man those are some great ones.

#3063424 - 12/04/12 04:20 PM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: Brisco Darlin]
BSK
Non-Typical

Oh, it's cool to have big bucks like that, but darn frustrating not to be able to kill them! So far, we've only been able to kill two of those highest-caliber bucks over the years (a 157 and a 156).

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3063442 - 12/04/12 04:26 PM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: BSK]
WMAn
8 Point

Loc: Williamson County

Didn't ya'll miss an opportunity to kill the buck pictured in the daytime with the strange kicker off his left antler last year? Brings up another question, how many of those bucks were seen while hunting but not killed?

#3063487 - 12/04/12 04:49 PM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: WMAn]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: WMAn
Didn't ya'll miss an opportunity to kill the buck pictured in the daytime with the strange kicker off his left antler last year? Brings up another question, how many of those bucks were seen while hunting but not killed?

My brother missed this buck clean at 80 yards with his MZ last year:

This buck was seen at long range (down a power-line right-of-way) at 4 1/2, but was never seen at 5 1/2 or 6 1/2:

4 1/2

5 1/2

6 1/2

I passed this buck up at 3 1/2 (because I had already killed a big mature buck that year), but he was not seen at 4 1/2 or 5 1/2:

3 1/2

4 1/2

5 1/2

I tried to get my MZ on this scrawny 3 1/2 year-old but couldn't pull off the shot. He turned into a pretty good buck at 4 1/2:

3 1/2

4 1/2

This 150-class 5 1/2 year-old was killed on a neighboring property:

#3063857 - 12/04/12 08:13 PM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: BSK]
geezer
6 Point

Loc: To the right of the mississipp...

Heres one for me.......:(

And another......

here they are together in October...

#3063858 - 12/04/12 08:13 PM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: BSK]
guthooked
4 Point

Loc: Gibbs

Quite a few solid deer there.

#3063907 - 12/04/12 08:43 PM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: guthooked]
primos32
6 Point

Loc: Savannah, TN

Wow! Awesome set of bucks! Makes me wonder how many good bucks like that statewide get away every year..
#3063924 - 12/04/12 08:53 PM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: primos32]
WMAn
8 Point

Loc: Williamson County

BSK,

What did that 5 1/2 yo do to get himself killed by your neighbor?

#3063953 - 12/04/12 09:10 PM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: WMAn]
Master Chief
10 Point

Loc: Henderson County

The agony of defeat.. aka every buck I've gotten on trail camera.

Here is the biggest but he was seen this week running across the road right at the trail I park at.. I was in the woods too! I guess he ran behind the ridge I was watching though.

btw-I saw him last year as a 4.5 (the only time he showed himself last year) and 90% he was 160.

Edited by Master Chief (12/04/12 09:17 PM)

Don't go ridin' on that long black train ;\)

#3063997 - 12/04/12 09:40 PM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: WMAn]
northeasthunter
8 Point

Loc: brentwood

lots of good ones
#3064208 - 12/05/12 07:06 AM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: WMAn]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: WMAn
BSK,

What did that 5 1/2 yo do to get himself killed by your neighbor?

Good question.

#3064210 - 12/05/12 07:07 AM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: primos32]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: primos32
Wow! Awesome set of bucks! Makes me wonder how many good bucks like that statewide get away every year..

You wouldn't believe how many mature bucks I see on trail-cameras across the state, and the vast majority of those mature bucks--a few in the 150s to low 160s--are never seen or killed by hunters.

#3064212 - 12/05/12 07:08 AM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: Master Chief]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Master Chief
btw-I saw him last year as a 4.5 (the only time he showed himself last year) and 90% he was 160.

Yeah, that buck is pushing 160s.

#3064601 - 12/05/12 11:31 AM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: BSK]
southernhunter
8 Point

Bsk, i been using trail cams for awhile , and running them this year since bow season til present . I have only got a pic of one nice deer the 3 1/2 year old on a farm that's 230 acres. that's joined by a other large tracts of land , til hunting season starts I set the cams up on baited sites , or food plots , I said all that to ask how many times to u see big deer killed in a area that no one ever got a pic of ? Or are there just that few of mature deer in my area ?

Edited by southernhunter (12/05/12 11:31 AM)

#3064639 - 12/05/12 12:08 PM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: southernhunter]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

I wish I had some big ones to post about my agony of defeat. I just get does and little ones.
#3064648 - 12/05/12 12:17 PM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: BSK]
Hollar Hunter
8 Point

Loc: TN

This is why cameras are a LOVE/HATE relationship! LOL

These are all my 2012 4.5+ targeted heartbreakers! We have some others that are 4.5+ but were kind of week on the horns. I would still shoot them in a heart beat but these are the biggest I have targeted this year.

This fella I seen during bow twice both times about 70 to 80 yards, Also seen him opening morning of Muzzleloader but only long enough to get my gun up and he was through the only hole I had. He was also seen twice crossing a grown up field during muzzleloader from the car.

[img][/img]
[img][/img]

This one I've never seen..

[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

Than there's THE MAN! My biggest upset to date! I seen this buck twice during bow both times I had to watch him for about 45+ minutes. I should have killed him the second time I seen him but I won't go into that to painful!!! As of 2 weeks ago he was still alive spotted on the adjoining farm which rarely gets hunted. I'm hoping in the next couple weeks he will come home to roost where he spent all summer and most of Oct. I'm not even hunting the area he lived in till he shows back up on camera just to keep any pressure off the area. BSK what would you age this guy at?

[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

This guy I think is some how related to the buck above as they have the exact same small fork on the right side G2 tine! No one has ever seen this fella!

[img][/img]
[img][/img]

This is the only mature buck 4.5+ we had targeted that actually bit the dust this year!

[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

Edited by Hollar Hunter (12/05/12 12:20 PM)

Spend your time where you get the most return on it...

#3064883 - 12/05/12 02:42 PM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: southernhunter]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: southernhunter
Bsk, i been using trail cams for awhile , and running them this year since bow season til present . I have only got a pic of one nice deer the 3 1/2 year old on a farm that's 230 acres. that's joined by a other large tracts of land , til hunting season starts I set the cams up on baited sites , or food plots , I said all that to ask how many times to u see big deer killed in a area that no one ever got a pic of ? Or are there just that few of mature deer in my area ?

Tough question to answer. Undoubtedly, I hear all the time about bucks being killed that were not on a hunter's trail-cameras. However, in my own experiences, I've been inordinately lucky to get the vast, vast majority of bucks on camera before they are killed by hunters. Over 13 years, on my own property and on clients' properties where I run the camera census (I place and check all cameras), 97% of hunter harvested bucks were previously photographed.

Now sometimes, it's a very close call, especially around the rut. Many bucks suddenly expand or even shift their seasonal range right at the beginning of the rut. This will cause a sudden surge of "new" bucks to start crossing a monitored property, and in the areas where I do most of my work, this also occurs just about the time MZ season is about to start. What happens--and this happens amazingly often--is a hunter kills a buck I did not have on camera. However, when I run the cameras the next time, there he is. He JUST showed up on camera (and probably just started using the property) just days before he was killed.

Unfortunately, learning where to place cameras to run a good non-baited census is a real learned art. It's taken me years to learn the best camera locations, and every year I learn something new that is added to my repeteur. Its a never-ending learning experience. For those that are killing a lot of bucks they didn't have on camera, the problem is usually improper camera placement or not moving cameras frequently enough. However, rut-season "range-shifting" bucks can also suddenly bring new harvestable bucks onto a property that can be hard to get on camera before they are killed.

#3064886 - 12/05/12 02:43 PM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: BSK]
BSK
Non-Typical

WOW Hollar Hunter! Those are some amazing bucks!

Honestly, I don't think that palmated buck is that old. I would say no older than 4 1/2 in those pictures.

#3064943 - 12/05/12 03:18 PM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: BSK]
southernhunter
8 Point

BSk , what do u charge ?
#3064951 - 12/05/12 03:23 PM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: BSK]
Hollar Hunter
8 Point

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: BSK
WOW Hollar Hunter! Those are some amazing bucks!

Honestly, I don't think that palmated buck is that old. I would say no older than 4 1/2 in those pictures.

Thanks! That's what I thought just kinda hard to believe.

Edited by Hollar Hunter (12/05/12 03:32 PM)

Spend your time where you get the most return on it...

#3065046 - 12/05/12 04:48 PM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: southernhunter]
BSK
Non-Typical

BSk , what do u charge ?

Running a season-long unbaited camera census is my most expensive service, because of the huge number of days I have to be on the property and working in the field (I check and move all cameras weekly for 3-6 months). If I told you what I charged, you would probably have a heart attack! But for a full 6-month program, my fee would approach 5 figures.

#3065074 - 12/05/12 05:05 PM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: BSK]
Master Chief
10 Point

BSk , what do u charge ?

Running a season-long unbaited camera census is my most expensive service, because of the huge number of days I have to be on the property and working in the field (I check and move all cameras weekly for 3-6 months). If I told you what I charged, you would probably have a heart attack! But for a full 6-month program, my fee would approach 5 figures.

People really pay over $10,000 for you to put cams out? Wow!

What is the largest deer you've gotten on trail camera?.. from your property or a clients.

#3065085 - 12/05/12 05:11 PM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: BSK]
Master Chief
10 Point

This one probably has me beat this year too. I seen him one time bowhunting.

#3065090 - 12/05/12 05:15 PM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: Master Chief]
Master Chief
10 Point

Never seen this one.. nothing special but mature.

Edited by Master Chief (12/05/12 05:16 PM)

#3065134 - 12/05/12 05:45 PM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: Master Chief]
BSK
Non-Typical

Not over that but approaching that. What can I say, some people have more money than sense ;\)

Quote:
What is the largest deer you've gotten on trail camera?.. from your property or a clients.

In TN, 170s. Anywhere, several over 200.

#3065156 - 12/05/12 06:03 PM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: BSK]
Master Chief
10 Point

Not over that but approaching that. What can I say, some people have more money than sense ;\)

I'm sure those people don't bother you a bit lol

Maybe I'll be running cams for people after I get my wildlife biology degree!

Edited by Master Chief (12/05/12 06:04 PM)

#3065172 - 12/05/12 06:13 PM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: Master Chief]
BSK
Non-Typical

Some people enjoy spending money (and have a lot of it to spend). Some people take pride in spending whatever it takes to have the best of everything. I like working for those kind of people. ;\)

#3065232 - 12/05/12 06:46 PM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Some people enjoy spending money (and have a lot of it to spend). Some people take pride in spending whatever it takes to have the best of everything. I like working for those kind of people. ;\)

\:\)
Would also add that some people have several thousand acres, and we're not talking about doing a deer inventory on the typical Middle TN family farm.

#3065739 - 12/06/12 07:37 AM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: Wes Parrish]
BSK
Non-Typical

I knew you would see the reality of it Wes.

When you think about it, it really isn't that much per day over a 6 month period. For a larger property, it will take a day and a half to two days per week to drive to and from the property, check each camera, swap cards, and most likely move every camera. Then download all of the pictures onto computer, and assess every picture (potentially thousands of pictures per week), entering each picture's data (location, time, date, what's in the picture) into databases, identifying every buck in every picture and enter each buck's data into databases, and finally analyzing all that data.

Next subtract your expenses for purchasing and maintaining cameras (batteries are not cheap), as well as gas to and from the project. Lastly, divide what is left of the fee after expenses by the 40-50 work days you spend on the project over 6 months. What it comes out to is income per day that is pretty close to what someone making 30-35K per year makes per work-day.

#3066495 - 12/06/12 04:10 PM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: BSK]
Southern Sportsman
6 Point

Loc: West TN

This above deer and another one came to wish me a Merry Christmas this year, but I was duck hunting on the same farm at the time.

#3066602 - 12/06/12 05:23 PM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: Southern Sportsman]
BSK
Non-Typical

Nice bucks!

#3066612 - 12/06/12 05:30 PM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: Wes Parrish]
Master Chief
10 Point

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish

Would also add that some people have several thousand acres, and we're not talking about doing a deer inventory on the typical Middle TN family farm.

Good point. How many cams do you set out on 1000+ acre farms, bsk?

I can also see the expense adding up for you. Even the initial cost of cameras would be high... To top it all off, its gotta be boring looking through all of those monster buck pics \:\) \:\)

#3066621 - 12/06/12 05:39 PM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: Master Chief]
BSK
Non-Typical

I would want at least 12. 15 would be better.

Quote:
I can also see the expense adding up for you. Even the initial cost of cameras would be high... To top it all off, its gotta be boring looking through all of those monster buck pics \:\) \:\)

The boring part is not the monster bucks. It is trying to decide if a particular pictured yearling spike is spike #18 or spike #34. Spike #34 has slightly more sweep to his cowhorns...

The really, really boring part is entering all the data in the databases. Picture #4,053 has two does and a fawn in it. Picture #4,054 has two does and a fawn in it, picture #4055 has two does and a fawn in it...

The fun part is analyzing the data. How many unique bucks are there and what is the buck age structure? How is the age structure different this year than last year, and the year before? When was each buck first picked up on camera? Is there a pattern to when bucks on this particular property "show up" and "disappear?" Is there a pattern in the days each individual buck is photographed? What's the average gross score of each age-class of buck? What percent of bucks are showing up year after year?

#3066631 - 12/06/12 05:45 PM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: BSK]
Master Chief
10 Point

I would want at least 12. 15 would be better.

Quote:

The boring part is not the monster bucks. It is trying to decide if a particular pictured yearling spike is spike #18 or spike #34. Spike #34 has slightly more sweep to his cowhorns...

The really, really boring part is entering all the data in the databases. Picture #4,053 has two does and a fawn in it. Picture #4,054 has two does and a fawn in it, picture #4055 has two does and a fawn in it...

I can imagine. Especially when its 1000 pictures of the same deer.

#3067448 - 12/07/12 07:50 AM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: Master Chief]
BSK
Non-Typical

Exactly. But playing with the data is a lot of fun. At least it is for me, but then I love data, data, and more data.

Page all of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, gtk, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
tnduckhunter, draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85, Deadeye14
13111 Registered Users
Who's Online
86 registered (Quailman, gtk, thetoolman, ffmedic, Hunter 257W, ZachMarkus, 10 invisible) and 108 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13111 Members
42 Forums
89116 Topics
1042291 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.227 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.