Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#3062958 - 12/04/12 12:21 PM How they get old
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

They never move during daylight

I have over 50 pictures of this buck, and not one during daylight. Check out the beam length on this guy!

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3062980 - 12/04/12 12:29 PM Re: How they get old [Re: BSK]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

For sure. I know that feeling all too well. Trail cameras will humble a hunter in more ways than one, albeit, they will teach us more than we could ever learn in a century in the woods during daylight. Great buck Bryan, best of luck with him for the remainder of the year.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#3063014 - 12/04/12 12:45 PM Re: How they get old [Re: Andy S.]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

BSK...I've mentioned this before but you really ought to keep hunting through December. The majority of your does may have already been bred but surely not all of them. I've seen some dandy bucks late into December after the few does that weren't bred earlier. I wouldn't give up on that big boy yet.

#3063017 - 12/04/12 12:45 PM Re: How they get old [Re: Andy S.]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Andy S.
For sure. I know that feeling all too well. Trail cameras will humble a hunter in more ways than one, albeit, they will teach us more than we could ever learn in a century in the woods during daylight. Great buck Bryan, best of luck with him for the remainder of the year.

Unfortunately, my chances are pretty much over. If we don't kill a particular 3 1/2+ buck before Nov. 12, odds are exceptionally low we will kill him that year.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3063044 - 12/04/12 01:01 PM Re: How they get old [Re: BSK]
Hollar Hunter
8 Point

Loc: TN

Great buck and I know the feeling. I've got 2 whoppers that's only been photoed during the night and no one has ever seen them...I sure wish bucks got dumb and senile in their old age instead of smarter and wiser!

Spend your time where you get the most return on it...

#3063062 - 12/04/12 01:09 PM Re: How they get old [Re: BSK]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

Originally Posted By: BSK
Unfortunately, my chances are pretty much over. If we don't kill a particular 3 1/2+ buck before Nov. 12, odds are exceptionally low we will kill him that year.
I have gathered this based on your posts over the years, but I will never forget that stud of a buck that you photographed in daylight about 50 yards from your stand on December 4th or so few years back, if my mind serves me right. I know it is a long shot and the exception to the rule, but it could happen. Regardless, best of luck for the rest of the season chasing that dandy of a buck.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#3063068 - 12/04/12 01:14 PM Re: How they get old [Re: Hollar Hunter]
woodchuckc
8 Point

Loc: Hickman County, TN

I know the feeling also. The daylight picture of the mature buck I posted a couple of days ago has been the only daylight mature buck picture I remember getting this time of year in about 7 years of using trail cameras (and his headgear was nowhere near as impressive as the pictures you posted above!).

Don't give up completely, though. Over the past 10 years, I have killed about the same number of mature (3.5 or older) bucks at the tail end of the season (after Christmas) as during the rut in mid-November just down the road from you in Hickman County.

#3063135 - 12/04/12 01:53 PM Re: How they get old [Re: Andy S.]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Andy S.
 Originally Posted By: BSK
I have gathered this based on your posts over the years, but I will never forget that stud of a buck that you photographed in daylight about 50 yards from your stand on December 4th or so few years back, if my mind serves me right. I know it is a long shot and the exception to the rule, but it could happen. Regardless, best of luck for the rest of the season chasing that dandy of a buck.

Yup, we will get a picture or two of a mature buck working scrapes during daylight sometime during the first week of December. And that's why I was out last weekend and will be out this weekend for one last long-shot! \:\)

#3063139 - 12/04/12 01:55 PM Re: How they get old [Re: woodchuckc]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: woodchuckc
Don't give up completely, though. Over the past 10 years, I have killed about the same number of mature (3.5 or older) bucks at the tail end of the season (after Christmas) as during the rut in mid-November just down the road from you in Hickman County.

Although we will get a daylight picture or two the first week of December, in 25 years, no hunter has ever seen a 3 1/2+ year-old buck after Thanksgiving week, and we do hunt right into early January.

#3063174 - 12/04/12 02:11 PM Re: How they get old [Re: BSK]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

Around my home place here I watched a buck for 2 years on my trail cam, ridiculously wide and tall rack, a drop tine and one split brow as of the last pics - at least 12 pointer. I've never scored a deer in my life (not a big deal to me) but my neighbor who had it on trail cam too seen it and said it might go 160. From what I've seen from you guys I think that might be a little high on his scoring, but regardless of score, very much mature and very much nocturnal. Unfortunately, I have not seen him this year since January 15th (I have that date committed to memory).

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, gtk, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Urban deer Hunter, Mclem135, Cch, Timberninja31, Claims Rep.
13266 Registered Users
Who's Online
94 registered (plinker22, jb3, tasaman, Food Plot 101, WRbowhunter, Bullfrog, 7 invisible) and 145 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13266 Members
42 Forums
92918 Topics
1085688 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.238 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.