Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#3063337 - 12/04/12 03:49 PM Re: Moon up versus moon down [Re: BSK]
log72
Spike

Loc: Milan, TN

You say the big woods get better for the mornings & ag fields better in the evening. Could you expand on that reasoning?
#3063349 - 12/04/12 03:56 PM Re: Moon up versus moon down [Re: log72]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: log72
You say the big woods get better for the mornings & ag fields better in the evening. Could you expand on that reasoning?

I've just noticed this pattern, even on a single property as its habitat is altered. Big, unbroken hardwoods often have considerably higher buck sighting rates on morning hunts when deer feed on acorns late into the morning. But hunters hunting agricultural regions or where food plots are the only food source around often see very little morning activity, but great hunting in the evenings as deer move out into the open fields to feed in late afternoon.

And again, I've even seen this pattern change on an individual property; i.e. big-woods habitat greatly altered into lots of clear-cut openings and food plots. Buck sighting which has been almost exclusively a morning occurance will shift to being much more common in evenings once the habitat has been changed. Basically, it's all about feeding patterns and what the deer are eating.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3063356 - 12/04/12 03:59 PM Re: Moon up versus moon down [Re: BSK]
log72
Spike

Loc: Milan, TN

Would it be likely that when they turn nocturnal, they hit those open areas at night, and as daylight approaches, they make their way to the secluded areas while browsing acorns & green browse?
#3063363 - 12/04/12 04:02 PM Re: Moon up versus moon down [Re: Winchester]
Bone Collector
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Originally Posted By: Winchester
I personally like the moon overhead early in the afternoon, well before dark. But what I like even more is a good cold front with a dropping barometer! \:\)

yeah you, me, and everyone else \:D

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
General James Mattis

#3063417 - 12/04/12 04:16 PM Re: Moon up versus moon down [Re: log72]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: log72
Would it be likely that when they turn nocturnal, they hit those open areas at night, and as daylight approaches, they make their way to the secluded areas while browsing acorns & green browse?

Very possible. This morning versus evening higher buck sightings is a pattern you will see over and over again on properties that are dominated by one type of habitat. I've worked on large pine plantations in the Deep South where food plots are the only deer food source. The morning hunting (for bucks) is often so bad that hunters don't even btther hunting mornings. All of the action is late evenings in the food plots. In contrast, I've seen big-woods properties where no bucks are ever seen on evening hunts. All of the buck action is in the mornings on oak-heavy ridge-tops.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3063498 - 12/04/12 04:57 PM Re: Moon up versus moon down [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: BSK
Basically, it's all about feeding patterns and what the deer are eating.

It can be just as much about whether an individual hunter is able to enter the hunting area without alerting any deer already there.

The reason many hunters find fields/food plots poor morning hunting is because the deer are already feeding in them when the hunters arrive. Most hunters park much too close to their hunting spots, and the deer are long gone before the hunters leave the vicinity of their trucks and ATV's.

By contrast, hunters choosing woods for morning hunts may arrive at a hunting spot ahead of the deer.

Undisturbed deer seem to like fields and food plots about as much in the mornings as the evenings. It's just that most of us hunters are very good at "disturbing" the deer.

#3063634 - 12/04/12 06:32 PM Re: Moon up versus moon down [Re: Wes Parrish]
Hollar Hunter
8 Point

Loc: TN

I find it nearly impossible to hunt my food plots in the morning cause there's deer in them or bedded on the edges nearly 100% of the time. Although on the cameras most all the big buck activity is in the morning once Nov. has come and all the nuts have dropped. Before the nuts have dropped in the early archery season I find that the big bucks are out in the plots more in the evenings. The problem with hunting the plots in the evenings is every time it gets dark your stuck in the field with a dozen+ deer.

Spend your time where you get the most return on it...

#3063685 - 12/04/12 06:57 PM Re: Moon up versus moon down [Re: Hollar Hunter]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

content Online
I have never really based much at all on moon phases. The only thing I do believe in from experience is that I love a cold, clear, crisp afternoon hunt with the full moon directly overhead.

#3063887 - 12/04/12 08:30 PM Re: Moon up versus moon down [Re: BSK]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Loc: NASHVILLE, TN

Originally Posted By: BSK

I have seen where morning versus evening hunt results are VERY influenced by habitat. Big woods and acorn-feeding deer show a strong relationship to better morning hunting. But open ground and agriculture bring out a strong evening bias.

I couldn't agree more

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3063914 - 12/04/12 08:47 PM Re: Moon up versus moon down [Re: log72]
Bobs8pt
4 Point

Loc: Knoxville TN

Very Interesting Read. The only time I realy pay attention to the Moon is the end of October (The Rutting Moon) other then That In the 30 yrs of Hunting I can say I see less deer movement during a full moon. And as said above I tend to hunt weather patterns more then I do Moon Phases

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
UTRok16, ljhhunt3, perchjerkin, camohunter3, mtd
13273 Registered Users
Who's Online
109 registered (Claims Rep., cdw338, biglefty20, ADR, UTRok16, muddyboots, 16 invisible) and 135 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13273 Members
42 Forums
93037 Topics
1087143 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.089 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.