Tndeer Logo

Page 206 of 264 « First<204205206207208>Last »
Topic Options
#3049290 - 11/26/12 08:39 AM Re: Preachermantom's Daily Devotional [Re: preachermantom]
preachermantom
12 Point

Loc: waverly,tn,USA

Sloth or laziness.

Before I did the series on marriage that was requested we were looking at the 7 daily sins that is based on the seven deadly sins. So let us pick up where we left off and today look at Sloth or laziness.

As Americans we have been conditioned over the past several decades to try and do little as possible. To get to a point where we can retire and do nothing. Even our government makes it easy for folks to do nothing and get food and bills paid for by a thing called entitlements. It is a sad state we live in compared to our grandparents days. Now we have our children lay around getting fat, playing the xbox we bought them for hours on end. Who cares if they make good grades or not as long as they are happy, right? What are we doing??????

The bible has much to say about this. For example:

2 Thessalonians 3:10

10 For even when we were with you, we commanded you this: If anyone will not work, neither shall he eat.

Proverbs 12:27

The lazy man does not roast what he took in hunting, But diligence is man’s precious possession.

Proverbs 13:4

The soul of a lazy man desires, and has nothing; But the soul of the diligent shall be made rich.

Now think about these verses. Before you say I am not lazy or like a sloth, wait until we are done with looking at this over the next few days! haha Today we look at those who do almost nothing, as we go through this we will see laziness has more to it. We see above in the 2 Thessalonians verse that at the very least we contribute to others laziness by the entitlement programs we support by our votes and not requiring more from the folks who receive them. I have no problem helping those in need but we should expect folks to do something for themselves not sit back and do nothing. God's word says no work no eat!

When folks are as lazy as a man who won't take care of an animal he kills to eat....that is lazy! The other verse says a lazy man has desires but doesn't do anything to get those desires....lazy! BUT those who are diligent will be made rich! Now I want you to think more about spiritually than materially on the being made rich. Do godly things and receive godly blessings!

Think about these things today and don't be lazy!

Tom

Jesus Christ

http://walkthewalkwithjesus.blogspot.com

#3049361 - 11/26/12 09:20 AM Re: Preachermantom's Daily Devotional [Re: preachermantom]
rabbit hunter
14 Point

Loc: Beech Bluff, TN

Thanks

#3049839 - 11/26/12 02:26 PM Re: Preachermantom's Daily Devotional [Re: rabbit hunter]
TN Larry
10 Point

Loc: Baxter, Tennessee

Amen!!! This country could learn alot on this deovtion!

#3051169 - 11/27/12 08:56 AM Re: Preachermantom's Daily Devotional [Re: TN Larry]
preachermantom
12 Point

Sloth or laziness. #2

Continuing to day on the subject of being a sloth or lazy. Today let's look at what being a sloth or lazy is not.

1. Stillness is not being lazy.

We live in a world of business. Jesus being our example often withdrew to a deserted place for prayer.

Luke 5:16

16 So He Himself often withdrew into the wilderness and prayed.

God commands us to be still.

Psalm 46:10

10 Be still, and know that I am God;

I will be exalted among the nations,

I will be exalted in the earth!

2. Observing the Sabbath is not lazy.

God commander us to observe the Sabbath.

Hebrews 10:25

25 not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.

Deuteronomy 5:12

12 ‘Observe the Sabbath day, to keep it holy, as the Lord your God commanded you.

The Sabbath is also a day of rest.

Leviticus 23:3

[ The Sabbath ] ‘Six days shall work be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of solemn rest, a holy convocation. You shall do no work on it; it is the Sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings.

Luke 23:56

Then they returned and prepared spices and fragrant oils. And they rested on the Sabbath according to the commandment.

Listen to God's Word here!

3. Recreation isn't lazy.

God intends for us to have fun...vacations, hobbies, arts, entertainment, ect. But they have their place and time. Give God the glory for his blessings and good times!

Deuteronomy 28:2

And all these blessings shall come upon you and overtake you, because you obey the voice of the LORD your God.

4. Retirement from a job is not lazy.

Retiring from a job and and then doing nothing but playing golf or vacation is lazy. When you retire it gives you time to be free to serve the Lord more! Don't forget that. Kingdom minded pursuits should be a main priority. Yes take time for fun but also keep God first!

Colossians 3:23

And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men,

Give God your very best and serve Him with all your heart, soul, and strength and you will never be lazy!

Tom

Jesus Christ

#3051299 - 11/27/12 10:22 AM Re: Preachermantom's Daily Devotional [Re: preachermantom]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Loc: Close to Jackson, TN

Good one PMT!!

#3052968 - 11/28/12 08:28 AM Re: Preachermantom's Daily Devotional [Re: Kimber45]
preachermantom
12 Point

Sloth or laziness #3

Yesterday we looked at what being a sloth or lazy is not so today lets look at what the effects are of being lazy or slothful.

1. Being lazy is destructive!

Look at this verse:

Ecclesiastes 10:18

18 Because of laziness the building decays,

And through idleness of hands the house leaks.

Wow, some folks are so lazy they don't take care of things that can easily be fixed. Therefore severe consequences will be paid down the road. This can be said for relationships too. If we are to lazy to take the first step in repairing them, well they may just never be fixed!

2. Being lazy is irresponsible.

Being careless about your own soul is lazy and irresponsible. Failure to seize the day for God's glory is irresponsible. So being lazy is not only physically irresponsible such as we seen under #1 but also spiritually irresponsible. Not a good thing for when we see Jesus face to face one day!

Look at this verse as it can cover both the physical and spiritual laziness:

Ephesians 5:15-16

15 Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, 16 making the best use of the time, because the days are evil.

3. Being lazy can be hateful!

It took me a while to grasp this point. We have to look at this point as love for our fellow man. God is love. Jesus tells us to love others and even love our enemies. So if we are being lazy and not sharing our faith, our blessing, our time, and our love then it can be said we are being hateful to our fellow man!

Matthew 12:30

30 Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.

Matthew 5:42-48

42 Give to him who asks you, and from him who wants to borrow from you do not turn away.

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, 45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. 46 For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47 And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so? 48 Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.

Wow that pretty well sums up that point huh?

So like I said yesterday, be careful about concluding that you are not lazy before we see all that God's Word has to say about it! Slaps me around a little!

Tom

Jesus Christ

#3052983 - 11/28/12 08:39 AM Re: Preachermantom's Daily Devotional [Re: preachermantom]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Loc: Close to Jackson, TN

Wow! It's far too easy to try to forget that simple message above, for me anyway.

"3. Being lazy can be hateful!

It took me a while to grasp this point. We have to look at this point as love for our fellow man. God is love. Jesus tells us to love others and even love our enemies. So if we are being lazy and not sharing our faith, our blessing, our time, and our love then it can be said we are being hateful to our fellow man!

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, 45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. 46 For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47 And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so? 48 Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect"..

I honestly struggle greatly here \:\(

#3053064 - 11/28/12 09:26 AM Re: Preachermantom's Daily Devotional [Re: Kimber45]
preachermantom
12 Point

I think we all do brother!

Jesus Christ

#3056414 - 11/30/12 08:36 AM Re: Preachermantom's Daily Devotional [Re: preachermantom]
preachermantom
12 Point

Sloth or laziness #4

Not only can being lazy affect your day to day life but it can also be a major problem in you spiritual life. Don't miss this! Check these verses out:

Luke 19:36-40

36 And as He went, many spread their clothes on the road.

37 Then, as He was now drawing near the descent of the Mount of Olives, the whole multitude of the disciples began to rejoice and praise God with a loud voice for all the mighty works they had seen, 38 saying:

“ ‘Blessed is the King who comes in the name of the Lord!’[a]

Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!”

39 And some of the Pharisees called to Him from the crowd, “Teacher, rebuke Your disciples.”

40 But He answered and said to them, “I tell you that if these should keep silent, the stones would immediately cry out.”

Wow. A lack of worship or a refusal to worship is to fail to recognize and submit to God's authority. This can be identified as laziness also. Why? Because a failure to be awed by What God has done through Christ is just plain laziness! It is putting yourself on the throne. Basically saying "God you are no big deal". Please, Please don't be guilty of this!

A great example of this is sporting events vs. church. Wow do folks get excited about a home run or a touchdown or a teams victory. Where is that same excitement for Jesus who has given us the ultimate victory???? Laziness is the only answer! We better be careful before the rocks start crying out for us!

Think about this over the weekend! Are you lazy in your worship?

Tom

Jesus Christ

#3062753 - 12/04/12 10:22 AM Re: Preachermantom's Daily Devotional [Re: preachermantom]
preachermantom
12 Point

You never know!

Sorry about missing the devotion yesterday. A young man in our community was in a bad car accident Sunday night and I and my Pastor went to Vanderbilt yesterday to see the family. Spencer Garrett is the young mans name and he needs your prayers. He has major swelling on his brain and is not responding to the medication to reduce the swelling like they want. On a good note he has been able to move all his extremities which is good. The next 24 hours are crucial as they watch the swelling. Please pray for him my friends.

I said all that to say this, let us not forget how short life can be. Hug your kids and loved ones often and let them know how much you love them. Life is not promised to us each day. We never know when God will call us home. So here a couple of things the remember:

1.Be sure you are right with God!

Your life could end today, and if you don't know Jesus as your Lord and Savior you will spend eternity in hell.

Acts 4:12

Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”

John 14:6

6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

2. Life is short.

Even is we live to be 100...life is short compared to eternity.

James 4:14

whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away.

3. Love like there is no tomorrow!

If we don't love we are not of God. That is what his Word says.If we are of God and don't love we are like a clanging symbol...just noise!

1 Corinthians 13:1

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.

1 John 4:8

He who does not love does not know God, for God is love.

Brothers and sisters we never know what tomorrow brings...live today to the fullest for Christ!

Tom

Jesus Christ

Page 206 of 264 « First<204205206207208>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PGIC, jmccormick24, emtp, Hozzie, crushing
13529 Registered Users
Who's Online
149 registered (deerkiller300wsm, foldemup, jtd, Tnscooter63, 102, Sako, 16 invisible) and 222 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13529 Members
42 Forums
99094 Topics
1165219 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.089 seconds in which 0.04 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.