Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3061914 - 12/03/12 07:40 PM Losing my best friend an hunting partner!
RobbyW
4 Point

Loc: Dickson County TN

Sorry long read!

So my son, is not my blood son, but he is mine! I wasn't there when he was born, but when I married his Mom both he and his sister became mine. I got a microwave family.

Anyways his other dad was a big hunter, but doesn't do it the way I do. They hunt over timer feeders. Shoot any deer spots, buttons, brown its down. (Another state)

I have been trying to teach him different. First thing we did was take hunters Ed. Then I force him to use what he learned there about ethics. But I also make it fun. With his other dad deer camp is serious time. No talking, complaining basically no fun for what was a 8 and 9 year old back then. So when we became a family he was not pumped about deer hunting. Although he killed a spotted fawn and a small doe, with his other dad. he didn't want to go.
I changed the whole approach we worked with me in my first food plots. We checked cameras year around and we always mad it fun.
Now things have changed and his other Dad got in some trouble and he can't ever own a firearm ( which he found out a ML too the hard way) so if I want to pass down what I say is the ethical way I can

Ok her comes my dilemma. We just aren't seeing deer. It is a lot harder hunting with two people I know, but our turnip plots look really good but the deer aren't interested. An now that we aren't seeing them my son is losing interest.

Any advice? I don't want to push him and force him to go. He has had that and he got to hate hunting because that's when he got yelled at was expected to know what he was doing and not being taught. I just want him to enjoy it. In early bow season when we were seeing deer he was excited but they have really dropped off.

What can I do to make sure I get him to see that it's not really about killing deer that I enjoy, but how watching a tree rat for 15 minutes or turkeys come through can make a trip great?

Edited by RobbyW (12/03/12 07:43 PM)

#3061918 - 12/03/12 07:42 PM Re: Losing my best friend an hunting partner! [Re: RobbyW]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

man you scared me. thought someone was dying. forget the deer and take him squirrel hunting, or rabbit hunting. dove is fixing to open back, great fun tis time of yr. take him coyote hunting. lot more to hunt out than deer (thank goodness)

#3061922 - 12/03/12 07:43 PM Re: Losing my best friend an hunting partner! [Re: RobbyW]
CBU93 Moderator
"sheetrock"
14 Point

Loc: Germantown, TN

Don't deer hunt. Do something different...squirrel hunt, rabbit hunt with dogs, duc,k hunt....something with action!
#3061976 - 12/03/12 08:02 PM Re: Losing my best friend an hunting partner! [Re: CBU93]
PinchPoint
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville Tn

Duck hunt! Can be the most exiciting

Genesis 27:3

#3061978 - 12/03/12 08:03 PM Re: Losing my best friend an hunting partner! [Re: CBU93]
Encore
Spike

Loc: Colliervile

Kids go through fazes where interest comes and goes. Sounds like you are trying to lay a good foundation and at some point it should pay off. Good luck.
#3062002 - 12/03/12 08:08 PM Re: Losing my best friend an hunting partner! [Re: CBU93]
in the dog house!
14 Point

Loc: west tn

I agree %100 forget the deer ...... for the moment....... they will pick back up, keep an eye on the cameras and let the do the boring part ... take him to another spot away from your favorite deer haunts and shoot some squirrels ..... most of us learned the skills we use deer hunting ( being still, watching for the twitch of a tail, or picking up movement). Then when the deer pick back up get back after em!!! Good luck !!!

Μολων λαβε

#3062010 - 12/03/12 08:10 PM Re: Losing my best friend an hunting partner! [Re: CBU93]
scn
16 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

Give you and the deer a break in the action. If you have basically been hunting the same food plots and stands since early in bow season, the deer may have you patterned to the point that you will not see them there.

When you go back, try hunting some places away from the food plots that you don't normally hunt, even if it means hunting from the ground. It is surprising how comfortable (and productive) a folding chair and a little brush to break the outlines can be for an afternoon.

Until they finish up with the acorn crop we had this year, I doubt you will see them back on the food plots very much. Use it as an opportunity to scout and show him what feeding sign looks like. The deer you were seeing early may have relocated to an entirely different area due to a change in food source.

Late season hunting can be tough. Once the rut is over and the does regroup into their large social groups, they aren't spread as evenly over your hunting area. It can be totally feast or famine hunting where you see a bunch if you happen to be in the right spot, or none if you aren't.

But, above all, keep it fun. If he is burned out for the year, don't push it, and I'd almost guarantee he will be ready to go next season.

#3062018 - 12/03/12 08:12 PM Re: Losing my best friend an hunting partner! [Re: in the dog house!]
Diehard Hunter
CRAMP
12 Point

Loc: East Tennessee

I agree with the above. My daughter gets bored if we are not seeing deer every time, so i give her a break. I leave her at home and hit the woods my self. The boredom goes away and wants to go again in a couple of weeks.

#3062447 - 12/04/12 06:20 AM Re: Losing my best friend an hunting partner! [Re: Diehard Hunter]
diamond hunter
6 Point

Loc: Goodlettsville Tennessee USA

Id take him out and plant a few trees and comment on how we will watch them grow through the years together and watch the deer feed on what they produce.Break it up and make it neat. Large fruit trees would be good and when they ripen you guys can go out and pick and test a couple and talk about those deer eating them.

Edited by diamond hunter (12/04/12 06:22 AM)

#3062590 - 12/04/12 08:28 AM Re: Losing my best friend an hunting partner! [Re: diamond hunter]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Your area has been going through the rut, right? Do you normally hunt over food plots during the rut? If the buck/doe ratio is close, the does will probably never settle down enough for them to come out and eat as much.

Food plots are better for pre- and post-rut conditions, unless you have some good cover up against the plot that will keep them in closer.

Do some scouting on your own to get him closer to a "sure thing" as far as sightings go, or follow others' advice and switch up your quarry of choice.

Or, do something earth-shattering and do something other than hunting with him so that he has other memories to draw upon about time spent with you.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
jtw465, lovetohunt96, Csfraley, Big Dc, JaxTN870
13411 Registered Users
Who's Online
31 registered (MarlinSlayer, donkey5150, bushhog, Zulu, Vermin93, Big Ben, 2 invisible) and 89 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13411 Members
42 Forums
96642 Topics
1131471 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.043 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.