Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3047637 - 11/24/12 10:46 PM New Summit Viper SD
LanceS4803
6 Point

Loc: Middle TN

After just missing out on a used Summit Viper here on the For Sale board, decided to bite the bullet and get a new one. (I have a relative with heavy deer infestation-they are like rabbits!, that you just can't get near with a bow. Not unusual to see a dozen skinny deer in the backyard. As it is in a neighborhood, bow is only option.)
Ended up with the "Crush" version from BassPro. Bought on Wed and practiced with it a couple of times on Thu. Super easy and very safe and comfortable. On Fri, put it up and was ready to go at 0530. At 0615, it was all over. A few more, does next time, and this herd will be more under control.
Like others, I highly recommend this climber.

#3048990 - 11/25/12 11:53 PM Re: New Summit Viper SD [Re: LanceS4803]
TNGunhunter
6 Point

Loc: Wilson County, TN

nice job...gotta maintain healthy populations

#3054242 - 11/28/12 09:41 PM Re: New Summit Viper SD [Re: TNGunhunter]
chiggerbit
Spike

Loc: Lebanon, TN

It's the second Viper I've had, but I bought the same stand. I didn't notice the change when I bought it, but I'd really like to know why Summit literally CUT CORNERS with the front climbing bar pad. It's not an issue except for when my barrel goes "CLANG!" ???

Also, I'm a pretty average build, and to me at least, the stand is clearly most comfortable with the straps shortened nearly all the way up so that the seat is nearly as high as it will go. In other words, do you really want to sit with your elbows on the arm rests at shoulder height for any length of time??? Anyhow, I'll probably just zip tie the straps so they won't slip from their shortest length. I just don't get why you'd want the seat dropped down, no matter what you're hunting with. ???

I'll quit complaining though and make a useful suggestion. Get a comfort mat from Summit. They're changing camo patterns or something now so you can get the closeout one really cheap. Not only does it make the stand quieter and much more comfortable, but it also helps keep your feet warmer. The mat does add a little weight to the stand, but no more boot to cold metal contact is a good thing. For the same reasons, I plan on also wrapping the foot rest with a pad.

All in all, though, it's a very stable, quiet, reasonably light stand, and comfortable as well, if you have the seat positioned high enough.

#3054823 - 11/29/12 10:20 AM Re: New Summit Viper SD [Re: chiggerbit]
LanceS4803
6 Point

Thanks for the tips.
I did notice that they made the seat not adjustable for depth (compared to older reviews). Not too big of a deal, as I like to use the bar as a rest. Maybe a little bit of pipe wrap on those open spots?
I'll look into getting the mat. Wish I had an old Army green sleep mat to cut up! Yeah, feet froze the other day. Cold from the aluminum went right through the soles of the boots!

#3056080 - 11/29/12 10:30 PM Re: New Summit Viper SD [Re: LanceS4803]
chiggerbit
Spike

You sure you can't adjust the seat height? You should be able to with the buckles, although the new seat doesn't adjust up as high as my old Viper did. As I said though, if you adjust the seat up nice and high so that the armrests aren't too high to be uncomfortable, even then, the climbing bar is still at the right height to prop elbows on for a steady shot.

Thanks for the pipe wrap tip for the corners of the bar. I'll have to try that. You're so right about the cold from bare metal. I can put one foot on the bare metal footrest, and it doesn't take too long before that foot is colder than the one that's been on the mat covered platform. Like I said, I plan on wrapping the footrest with a pad, as well.

I finally got my Gameplan Treestand Transport System set up the way I want it this afternoon. It was $60 from BPS, but it makes a world of difference in how the stand carries. No more straps digging into my shoulders, and since the stand hangs a little higher, no more occasional jabs to my calves from the bottom of the stand. I don't pull the seat through the platform, either. I have to loosen the front two seat straps a good bit, but then I can just flip the seat back to rest on the V-brace, and then put slide the top section down over that. Now the stand angle and height is such that I can leave my front bar pack strapped on and it doesn't really bother me with the stand on my back.

Edited by chiggerbit (11/30/12 07:14 AM)

#3056766 - 11/30/12 11:35 AM Re: New Summit Viper SD [Re: chiggerbit]
LanceS4803
6 Point

The new seats just have a single buckle and clips together. Even the enclosed DVD doesn't show any adjustment.
There are so many tips and tricks with these stands.
I'm getting pretty good at getting it set up and climbing, gets easier every time.

#3060018 - 12/02/12 06:52 PM Re: New Summit Viper SD [Re: LanceS4803]
chiggerbit
Spike

Originally Posted By: LanceS4803
The new seats just have a single buckle and clips together. Even the enclosed DVD doesn't show any adjustment.

The straps are still adjustable. Pull the buckle apart, loosening the strap to the desired length.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  gtk, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
KevinTN, gthorne, bwoodard12, front hillside, DeerBomber
13540 Registered Users
Who's Online
138 registered (ranafea, cdw338, TN Larry, arctic_cat, MUP, mjac, 12 invisible) and 211 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13540 Members
42 Forums
99212 Topics
1166879 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.179 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.