Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3055279 - 11/29/12 03:01 PM Couple of Hickman County bucks
woodchuckc
8 Point

Loc: Hickman County, TN

I've been a little busy so I haven't had time to post these. Thanksgiving morning found me sitting in my stand, finally feeling human after having a severe stomach virus two days before. Not much going on besides a few squirrels scurrying around and at about 7:00 I was nearly knocked out of my tree stand by about 40 turkeys flying down the hillside and past me down at the bottom of the ridge. All of a sudden at about 8:20 it sounded like a big tree came crashing down at the top of the ridge behind me so I peeked around and there were two bucks locked up, pushing each other around, falling and tumbling down the hillside, hitting trees and rocks and generally tearing everything up. This was the first time I had witnessed a real knockdown drag out fight between a couple of good bucks, and it was pretty impressive. I knew one of them was going to get shot at if I had a chance, but even though they were only about 60 yards away when they got to the bottom of the ridge it was so thick I was having a hard time finding a hole big enough to shoot through. I couldn't really tell if one was significantly bigger than the other, so I just decided to take whichever one provided a shot opportunity. They pushed and shoved each other back and forth, snorting and grunting for what seemed like minutes but I am sure was only 10 or 15 seconds. One finally got his heart/lung area into an opening about the size of a basketball, so I squeezed off a round. I had an "oh, crap!" moment as they both just stood there, looking around and at each other and the one I shot at didn't show any sign that he had been hit. I chambered another round to get ready for another shot when I saw red mist coming out of his nose - I guess he was just still so worked up over the fight that he didn't realize he had been shot. He finally turned around and started walking away stiff-legged from the other buck, who was just standing there breathing heavily. I thought about shooting him again, but it was too brushy to get a good shot off so I just watched closely so I could get on his trail. The other buck watched him go, and turned around and strutted off - I guess he figured he had whooped up on the other one and was now king of the hill. As I lost sight of the buck I shot, I could see him start to wobble while walking so I started breathing a little easier. I waited as long as I could, about 15 minutes, got down and went over to where I had shot. Uh-oh - no blood! I went down the way he had walked, scanning for blood on the ground but there wasn't a trail to follow. After about 40 yards I looked up ahead and saw him on his side and breathed a sigh of relief.

He was an 8 point and didn't have a huge rack, but he was mature (either 3.5 or 4.5 - I haven't had a chance to take a picture of his jawbone yet but I will post it here to get opinions). He did have a 17" inside spread but like the vast majority of bucks in my area, he is lacking in tine length. Hopefully, my daughter will be my hunting buddy in a few years. She loves to look out into the field behind the house and point out the deer and turkey, and as soon as I brought her out and she saw the buck she got pretty excited. Mom was not too pleased to see her grabbing the deer's ears and poking her fingers into its nose, but I thought it was great that she wasn't afraid at all.

It was pretty odd - I hit a little far back, but the bullet got both lungs and passed through but there was basically no blood around either the entrance or exit wound, and when I opened up his chest cavity, it was completely full of blood. Tissue must have plugged up the holes and let the blood pool inside his chest cavity.

The next morning, I thought I would get back up in the same stand. I didn't figure I would see another buck there but I had seen quite a few does and I wanted to get one (it takes less time for me to butcher and put up two deer at once than to do them separately). So at about 8:15 I hear a deer picking his way down the ridge behind me. I peek around my tree and think to myself, that looks a lot like the buck from yesterday! He stopped and sniffed around where I shot his buddy yesterday, then walked over in my direction without a care in the world. He stepped into an opening at about 40 yards away, and he only went about 10 yards before piling up in a little creek branch after I shot. As I examined his rack, the G3 on his left side had the tip freshly broken off - the stump was still frayed and jagged, so I am 99% sure that it was the same buck from the fight the day before. Again, not a very impressive rack but I am pretty sure he was 3.5.

I can't even remember the last time I killed 2 bucks in one year - it has probably been at least 10 years. So, I'll kill a couple of does to fill out the freezer, make summer sausage and some jerky, but it will have to be a truly exceptional buck for me to take a third. I think both of these bucks had shifted onto my place, as I have not gotten any trail cam pictures of them.

#3055307 - 11/29/12 03:23 PM Re: Couple of Hickman County bucks [Re: woodchuckc]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Loc: NASHVILLE, TN

Good deal woodchuck! Seems to be quite a few bucks in Hickman this year for whatever reason. I can't tell you how many 2 1/2's we have seen this year. Hopefully they all make it till next year. Good luck the rest of the season

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3055339 - 11/29/12 03:44 PM Re: Couple of Hickman County bucks [Re: JCDEERMAN]
woodchuckc
8 Point

I have gotten a lot of bucks on camera this year too, but for whatever reason the vast majority have been yearling spikes, forkhorns and basket-racked 6 pointers. I'll have to remember to upload and post some pictures of the only real "pig" of a buck I have gotten this year. He is only a crab-clawed 6 point, but is the most massive deer I have ever gotten pictures of on my place and I would love to get a shot at him.

I saw that you connected with a nice buck before Thanksgiving. Hopefully you will get another couple of chances at a good one before long. If our usual patterns hold, things will be kind of quite for the next 1-2 weeks and then we'll get another surge of activity toward the middle of December.

#3055368 - 11/29/12 04:00 PM Re: Couple of Hickman County bucks [Re: woodchuckc]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Loc: NASHVILLE, TN

We have seen a lot of spikes and fork horns as well. Tons of 2 1/2 yo 8 pt's. For us, I think its a combination of a few things. Our select cuts are now thick and all spread out, we limed our fields, and we didn't bow hunt the place but maybe the first 2 weekends of bow season. The logging on our borders brought deer in closer as well.

Mine was descent, had some mass. I agree, our action starts heating back up around the 10th - 15th of December. Also, hope your woods are torn up as ours...holy mackeril!

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3055392 - 11/29/12 04:19 PM Re: Couple of Hickman County bucks [Re: JCDEERMAN]
woodchuckc
8 Point

Next year should be good for you - I don't know how much they are going to end up clear cutting near you, but with all the new logging roads they put in this fall off of Hwy 100 near Wade's Branch they must be planning on doing a bunch. It looks pretty ugly right now from Hwy 100. They will be planting pines I'm sure, so in a couple of years it will probably draw a bunch of deer off of your place as it gets thick. I imagine hunting travel routes between your food plots and the jungle that will grow up in the clear cuts in a couple of years will be your most productive strategy.

I have been swamped with work and also with having a VERY active 21 month old (Mommy needs a few breaks at home!) so I haven't had any scouting time to speak of. I know that all the scrapes went inactive around Thanksgiving, and I saw a ton of small trees rubbed along my field edges but I haven't had the opportunity to check out what is going on back in the woods very much.

#3055566 - 11/29/12 05:53 PM Re: Couple of Hickman County bucks [Re: woodchuckc]
BigD_625
10 Point

Loc: Maury County, TN

Gooderns!

#3055590 - 11/29/12 06:07 PM Re: Couple of Hickman County bucks [Re: woodchuckc]
Gravey
16 Point

Loc: Rutherford / Wilson County Lin...

Congrats

#3055594 - 11/29/12 06:08 PM Re: Couple of Hickman County bucks [Re: Gravey]
tickweed
10 Point

Loc: medon,Tn.

congrats

#3055722 - 11/29/12 07:19 PM Re: Couple of Hickman County bucks [Re: tickweed]
Bayou Buck
10 Point

Loc: Spring Hill / Perry Co

Congrats!
#3055772 - 11/29/12 07:49 PM Re: Couple of Hickman County bucks [Re: Bayou Buck]
northeasthunter
8 Point

Loc: brentwood

congrats
Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
swampdonkey83, chrisp711, DEH20, tomtalker, jg12
13193 Registered Users
Who's Online
8 registered (BamaProud, Marion deer hunter, Roost 1, EastTNHunter, lung-buster, DIRTTRAX, 2 invisible) and 46 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13193 Members
42 Forums
91312 Topics
1067415 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.046 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.