Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3053526 - 11/28/12 02:55 PM Hickman County Rut Update?
DeerWhisperer
Spike

Loc: Hickman County, TN

I hunted all last week, seen very little activity where I hunt, seen 1 buck chasing on Sunday Morning, outside that just a few does.

I am hearing about all stages, some still seeing chasing, others seeing nothing.

What is the consensus?

Acts 11:7

#3053644 - 11/28/12 04:17 PM Re: Hickman County Rut Update? [Re: DeerWhisperer]
Appleman
4 Point

Loc: Hickman/Nashville

Slow
#3053718 - 11/28/12 05:15 PM Re: Hickman County Rut Update? [Re: Appleman]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Loc: NASHVILLE, TN

The main part is over at our place in Hickman. Bucks are now cruising and rubbing like crazy. Will pick back up here in about 15 days. We saw bucks chasing a little early this year. Probably just because they were on their feet being that it was cooler than normal.

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3053735 - 11/28/12 05:33 PM Re: Hickman County Rut Update? [Re: JCDEERMAN]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: JCDEERMAN
The main part is over at our place in Hickman. Bucks are now cruising and rubbing like crazy.

Hope that's the case at my place this weekend! Should be "end-of-rut" cruising by then.

Quote:
We saw bucks chasing a little early this year. Probably just because they were on their feet being that it was cooler than normal.

I strongly suspect that was the case with most of us who saw early activity.

What part of Hickman is your place in?

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3053765 - 11/28/12 06:02 PM Re: Hickman County Rut Update? [Re: BSK]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Loc: NASHVILLE, TN

Originally Posted By: BSK
The main part is over at our place in Hickman. Bucks are now cruising and rubbing like crazy.

Hope that's the case at my place this weekend! Should be "end-of-rut" cruising by then.

Quote:
We saw bucks chasing a little early this year. Probably just because they were on their feet being that it was cooler than normal.

This past weekend, I was finding rubs on cedars the size of my thigh all over the place. I saved one location and snuck out there Friday morning in the rain. As soon as it started getting light, all I could see we're these big rubs. I literally got my binoculars out and every cedar tree in the hollow and point I was on was torn up. Talk about getting excited. Saturday evening, I saw two nice 2 1/2's cruising. They covered 2 whole ridges within 20 minutes. Another one of our hunters saw several yearlings and 2 1/2's with the same behavior.

Our place is about 8 miles SW of Centerville "as the crow flies". We usually see a lot of activity of bucks up to 2 1/2 years old during muzzleloader. But it never fails, the 3 1/2's and older start moving a couple days before the start of rifle and do so until the end of Thanksgiving (which is probably a week or so after yours). We then see a big surge around the 10th of December and that lasts about 2 weeks....obviously not as explosive as the first.

It's funny when I hear locals around there talk about bucks chasing here and there, but when asked, they say about 5 miles this way or 10 miles that way. Now when they see those bucks "around the loop" as we call it, I try to get down there as soon as I can.

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3053836 - 11/28/12 06:47 PM Re: Hickman County Rut Update? [Re: JCDEERMAN]
vonhogslayer
6 Point

Loc: fairview Tn.

Shot a nice eight chasing a doe real hard sat my buddy saw a biggun with his nose to the ground yest. And a big ten was seen today,saw two different yearlings yest. Eve lookin lost so ill be gettin up early tomm! This is on primm springs rd
#3054100 - 11/28/12 08:35 PM Re: Hickman County Rut Update? [Re: JCDEERMAN]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: BSK

Quote:

Our place is about 8 miles SW of Centerville "as the crow flies". We usually see a lot of activity of bucks up to 2 1/2 years old during muzzleloader. But it never fails, the 3 1/2's and older start moving a couple days before the start of rifle and do so until the end of Thanksgiving (which is probably a week or so after yours). We then see a big surge around the 10th of December and that lasts about 2 weeks....obviously not as explosive as the first.

Yup, sounds like our places are about a week apart. I usually get a last burst of mature bucks cruising during daylight the first week of December.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3054252 - 11/28/12 09:51 PM Re: Hickman County Rut Update? [Re: BSK]
981kirk
Spike

Loc: TN, Rutherford

I had 2 shooters this past weekend. I had a nice 8 pt 18" wide came straight up a ridge next to me and never stopped. Nose to the ground. Sunday morning I had a doe run past me and about 20 sec behind her was another shooter. He never stopped or slowed down. A guy on our lease shot a good 8 pt last night. Another guy hasn't seen anything. We are thinking the rut is over now and looking for the 2nd rut on Dec 20th-26th or so
#3054547 - 11/29/12 07:26 AM Re: Hickman County Rut Update? [Re: vonhogslayer]
turk870
6 Point

Loc: centerville

Originally Posted By: vonhogslayer
Shot a nice eight chasing a doe real hard sat my buddy saw a biggun with his nose to the ground yest. And a big ten was seen today,saw two different yearlings yest. Eve lookin lost so ill be gettin up early tomm! This is on primm springs rd
seen a nice ten at the house with the wood fence on the left when your headed down the rd.and a nice 8 (upper 130s was seen on my place on russells branch couple weeks ago,the kid couldnt get on him)havent been abel to make it over there yet..back before mzl had a 150in deer cross tarkington rd in front of me..so there are a few in that area..

#3054663 - 11/29/12 08:42 AM Re: Hickman County Rut Update? [Re: turk870]
CopperHead77
12 Point

Loc: Hickman Co.

Seeing very little rutting activity so far,first few weeks of Dec. are usually when things start cranking up around here(primm springs also).

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bootsinsand, bigun714, clh200, tlwilliams, Forvols
13179 Registered Users
Who's Online
79 registered (turkeyhuntr4, Mr. Hawk, Bow Hunter, MUP, TIGGREM2, cmc934, 7 invisible) and 91 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13179 Members
42 Forums
91008 Topics
1063493 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.162 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.