Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#3052676 - 11/28/12 05:59 AM 1st Archery Season Success - Pics & Recap
Tracker56
4 Point

Loc: Spring Hill, TN

I started frequenting TnDeer early 2012 and have enjoyed the stories and information provided from all the knowledgeable members. I carried the stick & sting to the timber for the first time this year and wanted to share some of my success. Put the same Easton Flatline Surgical through all 4 deer, just keep putting new blades on the Muzzy. Thanks to The Archery Den in Franklin for getting me set-up with my new Helim and taking time to answer all my questions, another satisfied and addicted bowhunter. Hopefully y’all enjoy reading as much as I do hunting and writing.
God Bless!
**********************************************************************************************************

10/7/2012 - Doe #1

Morning Y'all,

God blessed me with a beautiful Sunday afternoon to be in the tree and then offered the opportunity to take this mature doe. I had approx an hour of hunting time when 3 doe approached from the East and fed their way across in front of me at about 20 yds. There was a small, medium and large doe so I picked the largest when she stepped into a lane at 18 yds. I drew, made sure my anchor point was on, lined up my peep & settled the pin. Then let the muzzy fly!! It was a passthrough both lungs and stuck in the ground behind her. She jumped straight in the air and when she came down she was pointed North and start to trot away then stopped to blow a couple times and stomp her foot. I was just getting ready to nock another arrow when I saw the blood spraying out. I decided to hold still and not spook her as it was only a matter of time. Then after about 30 seconds, which seemed like an eternity, she started to wobble and went down 15 yds to the north of my stand. The other 2 headed South and I never saw them again. What an awesome afternoon in God's great creation.

May God bless your week.

Tracker56

**********************************************************************************************************

11/3/2012 - Buck #1

Well, God blessed me with a beautiful day in the woods this past Saturday and I was able to take this 8 point shortly after first light @ 7:21AM. I had been waiting for almost 2 weeks for the right wind (SE) for this stand and finally got it. The wind was almost perfect and I caught myself wanting to slip a little on my scent control, but quickly wised-up not to take any short-cuts. I got strapped into the stand about 6:20 with legal light coming @ 6:40. I started to hear movement to the SE of me and thought to myself I picked the wrong stand this morning as I have a stand over there as well, but God had it planned perfectly. At about 7:10 I hear a twig break to the NW (directly downwind from me) then a couple minutes later I saw legs moving. The path he was taking looked as if he would go directly behind me (due W), but then he turned and headed for a rub 18 yds N of my stand. Given his position and stand position I was able to grab bow and draw in one motion while seated. I settled the pin in a tiny opening and let er fly. I hit him hi when he was facing straight E and he dropped and his front end came up facing W, so I nocked another arrow and put it through his heart. He expired 25 yds from stand, so it was a very easy track job.

It all happened so fast that I never really had any time to get the shakes before the shot, but after I had to stay strapped in for a few minutes to calm my nerves before climbing down. I feel very blessed to have had the time in the woods and be able to harvest an animal like this. He was the biggest bodied deer I have taken in TN and field dressed 150 lbs. I am having a European mount done and can't wait to get it back to check it out.

May God bless your week,

Tracker56

11/7/2012 & 11/9/2012 - Buck #2 & #3

Hey Y'all,

The only way I can possibly start this email is by thanking the good Lord for the opportunities he has placed in front of me this hunting season. From the last email you all know I was able to take my first archery buck last Saturday 11/3. This past week I had some time off and was able to put some more time in the stand and it definitely paid off.

This past week I was able to spend some more time in the stand and I could not have been more blessed. On Wednesday (11/7) I was able to take a funky 6 pt for my cull buck for the year. With TN allowing 3 buck per year I figured I would allow 1 tag for a cull and the other two are all mine. He came in on a trail from the N that takes him past my stand at 18 yds. It was neat because I have a camera set up on that trail and I have a pic of him walking in just seconds before the shot and then have him back on the cam after the shot heading back N on the same trail. It was a pass-through that went through the liver and had to clip an artery as well as he only went 65 yds. It was great morning in God's creation.

On Friday 11/9, a friend and I decided to hunt one of our properties together to see what we could find. At first light I heard something to the W of me and before I knew it I saw legs and then a large body of a deer 50 yds to the NW. He came into a brief clearing 48 yds to the NE of me and I could tell he was one I had had on camera since July. He continued away from me on the trail so I grunted at him to try to turn him, but no luck. His head snapped around fast, but he never committed to searching out where it came from so I watched him walk off. After that morning hunt we decided to scout the area and put a climber in the area so we could both come back that afternoon to see if he'd come back through and for one of us to get a shot.

As the day went on the wind shifted on us and we agreed it would be best for only one of us to go back to the main stand to keep as much scent out as possible. It turned out that I headed back out to the property for the evening hunt. It was a slow evening, except for one yearling doe and filmed a bobcat for a couple minutes hunting 15 yds from stand. As the sun started dropping the wind died down a little and I continued to watch the clock and my sites to make sure I could still see. At 5:05 I caught movement to the NE and then I saw antlers, it was the same deer that skirted me in the morning and he was at 40 yds coming my way. I thought one of two things were going to happen, I'd run out light or he'd never come close enough. As the Lord would have it he came in to 16 yds with 5 minutes of light left quartering away from almost due E. I drew put it on the back of his rib cage and let the Muzzy fly. I knew I had hit him but wasn't exactly sure how good the shot was.

I watched him and thought I heard him crash, but wasn't sure because he headed down into a ravine through some thick stuff so I quietly got out of the stand and backed out. I got back to the truck and kept playing it though in my head and was certain I put a good shot on him. So I called my buddy since he was hunting another property in the area to come help me track. When he arrived it was about 35 minutes since the shot so we grabbed our lights and headed out. We went straight to find the arrow and from what we found we figured he was down. We found blood so started tracking about 50 yds in I got ahead of myself (I just couldn't help it) and started shining my spot light in the direction he ran and 25 yds ahead of us, there he was!!

He was a pretty nice 10 and was a pretty darn big deer (field dressed 175 lbs). Took a couple pics in the field and then started the chore of dragging this sucker up the hill he just ran down. After about 20 yds We looked at each other and said this is as good a spot as any to field dress this sucker to lighten the load a little. So, within 40 minutes of him arriving we had him loaded in the back of the truck. Thank you for helping me and for sharing this moment with me. It is a memory I will have forever.

The Lord has truly blessed me this season as I have filled me 3 TN buck tags with my bow, during opening muzzle loader week to boot.

May God Bless your week and His gracious hand be ever present in your life.

Tracker56

Romans 1:16
For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes

#3052679 - 11/28/12 06:04 AM Re: 1st Archery Season Success - Pics & Recap [Re: Tracker56]
strutandrut
Non-Typical

Loc: signal mountain

Congrats

Why do I carry a gun? Because cops weigh too much to carry and are difficult to conceal.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#3052684 - 11/28/12 06:08 AM Re: 1st Archery Season Success - Pics & Recap [Re: Tracker56]
Bow Hunter
16 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro Tn.

content Online
Congrats on some very nice deer.

#3052698 - 11/28/12 06:20 AM Re: 1st Archery Season Success - Pics & Recap [Re: Bow Hunter]
ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER
16 Point

Loc: FRANKLIN COUNTY

congrats
#3052741 - 11/28/12 06:42 AM Re: 1st Archery Season Success - Pics & Recap [Re: ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER]
Jackman
6 Point

Loc: Allardt

Congrats
#3052839 - 11/28/12 07:10 AM Re: 1st Archery Season Success - Pics & Recap [Re: Jackman]
Tracker56
4 Point

Loc: Spring Hill, TN

Thanks everyone - It has been an awesome season. Any age guesses on the last 10 pt?

Romans 1:16
For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes

#3052886 - 11/28/12 07:29 AM Re: 1st Archery Season Success - Pics & Recap [Re: Tracker56]
REM7
10 Point

Loc: GRUNDY COUNTY

congrats
#3052890 - 11/28/12 07:34 AM Re: 1st Archery Season Success - Pics & Recap [Re: REM7]
Lawrence
8 Point

Loc: MT. Juliet Tennessee

great season
congrats

BOOM

#3052894 - 11/28/12 07:40 AM Re: 1st Archery Season Success - Pics & Recap [Re: Lawrence]
petestock
Spike

Loc: Davidson County, TN

Very nice season your having!
#3052959 - 11/28/12 08:22 AM Re: 1st Archery Season Success - Pics & Recap [Re: petestock]
Bayou Buck
10 Point

Loc: Spring Hill / Perry Co

Congrats on a great season! If you have the jawbone of the last buck then some here may be able to age it for you. You wouldn't happen to live in Spring Hill would you? Those houses look like the same builder from around my house.
Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13278 Registered Users
Who's Online
98 registered (bowhunter163, Poleaxe, landman, BigD_625, Backstrapcrazy, Encore Eye Candy, 10 invisible) and 151 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13278 Members
42 Forums
93238 Topics
1088763 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.111 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.