Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#3051787 - 11/27/12 02:37 PM Re: Senate Republicans vote against Sportsmen's Bill [Re: Diehard Hunter]
Wildcat
Non-Typical

Loc: Western Ky.

Originally Posted By: Diehard Hunter
I read it pretty closely. I saw it had overwhelming republican support in the house.

It looked to me like a bill that was actually in our best interest as sportsmen.

I t also looks to me like the republicans are just gonna be pissy for the next 4 years, and absolutely nothing will get done in Washington.

It really is time to jack our elected officials up and run new ones under them. They are a bunch of over paid and under worked 3 year olds who have had their pacifiers taken away.

re-read those two bills again. They ARE different.

#3051790 - 11/27/12 02:38 PM Re: Senate Republicans vote against Sportsmen's Bill [Re: Wildcat]
Jugfish
4 Point

Loc: Corbin, KY

Here is a response from the National Shooting Sports Foundation.

NSSF Pledges to Continue Work on Sportsmen's Act

The National Shooting Sports Foundation today expressed disappointment with the results of last evening's procedural vote in the U.S. Senate that has delayed action on the Sportsmen's Act of 2012 (S.3525), but pledged to continue working in a bipartisan fashion, along with a coalition of more than 45 other leading sportsmen's and conservation groups, to advance the historic package of bills before the adjournment of the 112th Congress.
"It is clear there is broad bipartisan support for the policies contained in the Sportsmen's Act, which contains our industry's top legislative priorities" said Lawrence G. Keane, NSSF senior vice president and general counsel. "While we are disappointed by Monday's procedural vote, we will continue to work in a bipartisan manner to address budgetary concerns raised by senators in time to ensure a vote on the Sportsmen's Act before the end of the lame-duck session."

Edited by Jugfish (11/27/12 02:39 PM)

#3051800 - 11/27/12 02:41 PM Re: Senate Republicans vote against Sportsmen's Bill [Re: Jugfish]
Wildcat
Non-Typical

Loc: Western Ky.

Get a bill for AMERICAN Sportsmen and ONLY that then we will support it.

Just because a bill has certain things in it does not make it the one we want or need. Read the other stuff in that very same bill and people will understand.

#3051826 - 11/27/12 03:02 PM Re: Senate Republicans vote against Sportsmen's Bill [Re: Wildcat]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
USF&W is supporting the bill via twitter. just saw it:

https://twitter.com/USFWSHQ

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3051852 - 11/27/12 03:18 PM Re: Senate Republicans vote against Sportsmen's Bill [Re: preds1]
waynesworld
8 Point

Loc: Mboro, Tennessee

Well before any bill that has a cost can be passed they need to have the hard dollar funding for it. Or do any of you think we can put that to fund it we will cut the obama phone, Car credit, or other entitlement spending. It is a trap to get republicans to start spending money on things there base supports to just throw in some more entitlement spending.
#3051887 - 11/27/12 03:45 PM Re: Senate Republicans vote against Sportsmen's Bill [Re: Wildcat]
The Ol'Professor
6 Point

Loc: Mid TN

Originally Posted By: Wildcat

Just because a bill has certain things in it does not make it the one we want or need. Read the other stuff in that very same bill and people will understand.

Wildcat, I'm not sure I know what you're referring to. Here is the bill, I've read it three times now. Maybe I'm missing something?
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/112/s3525/text

#3051977 - 11/27/12 04:48 PM Re: Senate Republicans vote against Sportsmen's Bill [Re: The Ol'Professor]
BMan
16 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Originally Posted By: The Ol'Professor
 Originally Posted By: Wildcat

Wildcat, I'm not sure I know what you're referring to. Here is the bill, I've read it three times now. Maybe I'm missing something?
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/112/s3525/text

Three times?

For starters, section 245 deals with African species and specifies the funds are to be spent outside of the country.

Also, a bunch of reauthorizations for bills that may or may not be good; would have to review each one to see. If they are that good, why not reauthorize them on their own rather than tying them to another bill?

There's a whole lot in that bill about creating boards to do this and that, and looks like some added government employees to boot.

The whole "expanded federal land for hunting" is but one or two pages in a 102 page bill, and is virtually nonexistent when it comes to specifics - except it rules out any hunting on national parks at all.

The Senate needs to get their act together and start trying to pass a budget, rather than on things that, in the grand scheme of things, really do not matter.

#3052006 - 11/27/12 05:03 PM Re: Senate Republicans vote against Sportsmen's Bill [Re: BMan]
The Ol'Professor
6 Point

Loc: Mid TN

Yes, 3-times and the first time I read it I understood that section 245 dealt with African species. These funds are already being spent outside the United States and have been since the first African species act was passed in 1989. All this bill would have done is amend those acts.

#3052023 - 11/27/12 05:19 PM Re: Senate Republicans vote against Sportsmen's Bill [Re: The Ol'Professor]
de novo
10 Point

Another example of how %^&* up our government system is. It should be fairly straightforward to write and pass a bill for America's "sportsmen". Instead every special interest lobbyist or corrupt politician is able to insert items that make the bill to difficult to comprehend without a law degree.

I haven't followed this piece of legislation, is this one where the House has one version and the Senate has their own? Is this where the confusion arises?

“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.”

#3052036 - 11/27/12 05:24 PM Re: Senate Republicans vote against Sportsmen's Bill [Re: The Ol'Professor]
BMan
16 Point

Originally Posted By: The Ol'Professor
Yes, 3-times and the first time I read it I understood that section 245 dealt with African species. These funds are already being spent outside the United States and have been since the first African species act was passed in 1989. All this bill would have done is amend those acts.

Wildcat's statement was to have a bill that supports American Sportsmen.

Section 245 reauthorizes, including expenditure of funds, supporting African and Asian species and mandates the money be spent outside the U.S.

So, please explain how reauthorizing anything for African and Asian species and spending money on them outside the U.S. supports American Sportsmen.

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  Crappie Luck, Tennessee Todd, RUGER, Unicam, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Bobby G, Kimber45, Kirk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bassassassin7, BBQ, Kornhunter, Afleming17, 260rem
13281 Registered Users
Who's Online
90 registered (Jcalder, hunter0925, woodsman87, ghostfive, TN Whitetail Freak, TIGGREM2, 11 invisible) and 128 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13281 Members
42 Forums
85151 Topics
1029086 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.213 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.