Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3051568 - 11/27/12 12:52 PM Bowhunting the Rut: Challenging?
UTGrad
14 Point

Loc: Franklin, TN

content Online
Question: Anyone find bowhunting during the rut more challenging?

It seems to me easier to bow hunt when deer are on more predictable feeding patterns. I find the food source and set up to wait for them to come in.

During the rut they can be anywhere so I've had a tougher time ambushing them. It sure is easy with a rifle lol

Thoughts or ideas?

#3051676 - 11/27/12 01:37 PM Re: Bowhunting the Rut: Challenging? [Re: UTGrad]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Didn't see a buck till the rut started picking up, guess I was just in a doe sink. Still bow hunting the spot and deer are less predictable now, but I've killed 2 bucks since it started heating up and seen about 4 other bucks either roaming, following or chasing. The only thing more challenging for me is predicting the deer. Sometimes I only see one deer, sometimes a bunch of does and fawns and sometimes a buck or two going after the does.

#3052093 - 11/27/12 05:59 PM Re: Bowhunting the Rut: Challenging? [Re: catman529]
Mr.Bro
10 Point

Loc: Hendersonville Tn.

Whats challenging is how to get em to stop in the right place.
Can get em to stop but then no clear shot.

#3052115 - 11/27/12 06:09 PM Re: Bowhunting the Rut: Challenging? [Re: catman529]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

The pre rut when bucks are just starting to scrape and make rub lines are more predictable and easier to pattern , than they are during the peak of the rut when they are chasing does and can be miles away .

A couple weeks ago while bow hunting here in the KC area during the rifle season , I did an all day sit from the summit stand . I saw deer all day , bucks chasing does , I had two young does bedded down within 40 yards for half the day .
I had one nice mature buck chase a doe within 30 yards , but she took a hard left to try and get away from him and he took off before offering a clear shot at a good angle . I then watched him lock down with her for a couple hours on the other side of a hollow .

It was an exciting hunt ,even though I didn't release an arrow , but that's what bowhunting is all about to me . I have passed up dozens of shots on yearling bucks and does this year , just to limit myself to shooting mature deer in an area that has suffered some EHD loses during the summer .

If I wanted to go out and shoot a deer every hunt , I would just rifle hunt . Sometimes I question my dedication to the sport and weapon of choice during the firearms season , because it can get tough at times , but in the end it is all worthwhile when you can harvest deer during the firearms season . I have done it 3 years in a row now .

#3052228 - 11/27/12 07:14 PM Re: Bowhunting the Rut: Challenging? [Re: Radar]
UTGrad
14 Point

Loc: Franklin, TN

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Radar
The pre rut when bucks are just starting to scrape and make rub lines are more predictable and easier to pattern , than they are during the peak of the rut when they are chasing does and can be miles away .

A couple weeks ago while bow hunting here in the KC area during the rifle season , I did an all day sit from the summit stand . I saw deer all day , bucks chasing does , I had two young does bedded down within 40 yards for half the day .
I had one nice mature buck chase a doe within 30 yards , but she took a hard left to try and get away from him and he took off before offering a clear shot at a good angle . I then watched him lock down with her for a couple hours on the other side of a hollow .

It was an exciting hunt ,even though I didn't release an arrow , but that's what bowhunting is all about to me . I have passed up dozens of shots on yearling bucks and does this year , just to limit myself to shooting mature deer in an area that has suffered some EHD loses during the summer .

If I wanted to go out and shoot a deer every hunt , I would just rifle hunt . Sometimes I question my dedication to the sport and weapon of choice during the firearms season , because it can get tough at times , but in the end it is all worthwhile when you can harvest deer during the firearms season . I have done it 3 years in a row now .

This is the first year since I started bow hunting 4 seasons ago that I have not killed a deer with a bow (yet). The lease where I hunt has large corn fields that is great for firearm season. I killed 4 deer in less than a week.

Now that I have meat in the freezer I want to focus on catching them in the woods with a bow.

Unfortunately I lost one in mid October when I hit a buck square in the shoulder with a large mechanical, lesson learned.

#3052426 - 11/27/12 08:56 PM Re: Bowhunting the Rut: Challenging? [Re: UTGrad]
Mr.Bro
10 Point

Loc: Hendersonville Tn.

Originally Posted By: UTGrad
[quote=Radar]The pre rut when bucks are just starting to scrape and make rub lines are more predictable and easier to pattern , than they are during the peak of the rut when they are chasing does and can be miles away .

This is the first year since I started bow hunting 4 seasons ago that I have not killed a deer with a bow (yet). The lease where I hunt has large corn fields that is great for firearm season. I killed 4 deer in less than a week.

Now that I have meat in the freezer I want to focus on catching them in the woods with a bow.

Unfortunately I lost one in mid October when I hit a buck square in the shoulder with a large mechanical, lesson learned. [/quote

Dont feel alone.This is the first year in the last 6 i didnt taken a buck in the second week of november.Gun seasons over in Ky so i will be back in the woods saturday.

#3052644 - 11/28/12 04:52 AM Re: Bowhunting the Rut: Challenging? [Re: Mr.Bro]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

Stick with it guys , pun intended . \:\)

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
two1980, Darrenduhl, 2winsrus, jacmac, Smokeymtnbow
13101 Registered Users
Who's Online
77 registered (TN_Greenhead, TNGunsmoke, Cooter, mrjim43, stilllookin, Mudbone, 9 invisible) and 112 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13101 Members
42 Forums
88761 Topics
1038481 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.236 seconds in which 0.031 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.