Tndeer Logo

Page all of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3050910 - 11/27/12 05:16 AM I'm back...(re-posted from gen forum)
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

Well, I did it again. Off all Thanksgiving week, and yesterday, and have nothing to show for it, deer wise anyway. Thought I'd get fancy and it cost me a good 110+ 8 pt....among other bucks I could have taken. Had a little doe come in on opening day, chased by a spike. I watched for a few min, and the thought started to cross my mind that there could be some action....Wham here he came! Across from the other ridge to see what the commotion was all about. I stood up and he stopped in some thick stuff about 50 yds out, and I still had my rifle in hand, at my side. When he bolted out, I knew he was a shooter for me, but thought I'd get fancy and make a sound to get him to stop, instead of getting on him and squeezing the shot off. Bad mistake for those mtn deer I guess, he kept on gettin it after that doe and ran the spike off from her, and I just watched as he zigged and zagged thru the timber after her, and out of sight. Then, had a pretty good 7pt come right up to my stand within 15 yds, but was still hoping the good 8 would somehow circle back thru. Fast forward to the eve hunt. Had another spike come thru, then a good 7 again, the same one, or so I thought, wrong. A dandy 7 pt with split main on the right side, I hesitated again, and he was gone. What in the dang world is wrong with me?! I have a hard time taking the shot when it is presented, and have to continually tell myself to take the shot when it is there, take it! Take it! And yet again, I missed a good opportunity, a couple of'em. Anyway, good to be back, headin out into the forum to read up on what I've missed being out.

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3051247 - 11/27/12 09:48 AM Re: I'm back...(re-posted from gen forum) [Re: MUP]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

at least you saw some action, sounds like a good day in the woods despite the frustration of hesitating on a shot. Better luck next time.

...since last deer season

#3051253 - 11/27/12 09:53 AM Re: I'm back...(re-posted from gen forum) [Re: catman529]
BigD_625
10 Point

Loc: Maury County, TN

I've seen one spike in the woods this year. I would love to see all those deer. Sounds like a good hunt. Get 'em next time!!

#3051327 - 11/27/12 10:40 AM Re: I'm back...(re-posted from gen forum) [Re: BigD_625]
MUP
Non-Typical

Guys I've been hunting since the mid 70's, and I must say that this is, hands down, the most action I've ever seen in the woods with more bucks and chasing than I've ever seen in one sitting in the stand. But on the other side of this equation, we have Monday....just two days later, I saw not one single deer all day long. Weird stuff.

#3051333 - 11/27/12 10:44 AM Re: I'm back...(re-posted from gen forum) [Re: MUP]
Bone Collector
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

this is a big struggle for me too. i always think if you don't shoot, you may see a bigger deer, but then what if you don't see him.

I would rather take what the good Lord presents me with and be thankful i got the opportunity to hunt, fill a tag, and put meat in the freezer/food on the table.

Maybe someday i will get proficient enough with my bow to take 2-3 in bow season and i can spend them month of November on chasing ole Mossy horns.

At least you had some good action though, better than no action.

Edited by Bone Collector (11/27/12 10:44 AM)

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
General James Mattis

#3051343 - 11/27/12 10:51 AM Re: I'm back...(re-posted from gen forum) [Re: Bone Collector]
MUP
Non-Typical

Yes it was a great day indeed. My real problem is that I just find it hard to take the first good shot presented, apparently waiting for an even better one most times. I have to actually mentally tell myself to "take the first shot presented" over and over, and even before the season begins I'm telling myself this. But sometimes, I fall back into the same "hesitating" mode and it costs me a nice buck. I was actually wanting to make sure this buck was bigger than the one I had shot during ML season, when he blasted out and on by, then I had the very short window of taking aim and shooting, but for some reason I chose to mouth bleat loudly trying to get him to stop. He didn't even flinch and just kept on moving toward the doe and the spike that was chasing her around. Live and learn? Maybe. But I've been at this for a number of years and this is STILL an issue for me. Man I'm still kicking myself for this. This is one of those deals that I will think on for years to come, just like the other two times this has happened to me. \:\/

#3051465 - 11/27/12 11:49 AM Re: I'm back...(re-posted from gen forum) [Re: MUP]
Dsmartin311
4 Point

Loc: Fayette County, TN

Hang in there MUP. Hope you see him again! Next time..."Take the first shot presented"
#3051477 - 11/27/12 12:02 PM Re: I'm back...(re-posted from gen forum) [Re: Dsmartin311]
MUP
Non-Typical

I know if I do get another chance, I'll be so focused that I will make the shot. But sad that it takes a momentary lapse of focus to sharpen the senses for me like this.

#3051570 - 11/27/12 12:53 PM Re: I'm back...(re-posted from gen forum) [Re: MUP]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

If it's an issue of waiting for an easier shot - meaning one you can feel sure you are going to make - it might be helpfull to do some skeet shooting. A moving target is a whole different thing from a still one obviously and it involves more of an instinctive style of shooting. If you spend enough time shooting shotguns I think it helps when you are presented with a running animal and have a rifle in your hands. I have shot several deer running and I think it's because of all the time I've spent with shotguns. Instinct takes over and I'm not even aware of the sight picture or anything until it's over.
#3051598 - 11/27/12 01:04 PM Re: I'm back...(re-posted from gen forum) [Re: Hunter 257W]
MUP
Non-Typical

Well, in this particular case I just tried something I wasn't accustomed to doing, ie the mouth bleat to get it to stop, and just wasn't up and on him like I should have been. It wasn't a hard shot at all, but I only had the one opening to get it done, and he was past in a second leaving me no good shot after that. Plain and simple, I had the shot, didn't take it and am now paying for it. \:\(

I can only account for trying the mouth bleat to watching the guys do it on tv. I've never in my life attempted such a maneuver before, and most likely never will again I don't think.

#3051601 - 11/27/12 01:05 PM Re: I'm back...(re-posted from gen forum) [Re: Hunter 257W]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Sounds like fun anyway!
#3051744 - 11/27/12 02:13 PM Re: I'm back...(re-posted from gen forum) [Re: MUP]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

I can never think to try making a noise to stop a deer. Like your experience, i think most of the time it would either spook the deer into running faster or make no difference at all. \:\)
#3051812 - 11/27/12 02:50 PM Re: I'm back...(re-posted from gen forum) [Re: Hunter 257W]
Savage
8 Point

Loc: Crossville, TN

I make the noise after I've got the crosshairs on them. If you dont pull the trigger, you wont kill one. Another thing, on a moving deer, I shoot at the shoulder, which is a dead shot, but if Im a little back its still deadly.

#3051999 - 11/27/12 05:00 PM Re: I'm back...(re-posted from gen forum) [Re: Savage]
stryker
10 Point

Loc: jonesborough, TN

Hang in there!!
#3052014 - 11/27/12 05:12 PM Re: I'm back...(re-posted from gen forum) [Re: stryker]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

Savage hit the nail on the head. Suppose you had stopped the buck and he was looking in your direction. Then you'd have to move on him before he took off again or with him looking directly in your direction. Have your weapon ready to fire before you make any sound. Also it's very hard to stop a buck by grunting when he's right on top of a doe in chase. If they come through a couple of minutes behind them trailing you can almost always get them to stop.

#3052015 - 11/27/12 05:13 PM Re: I'm back...(re-posted from gen forum) [Re: stryker]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

I concur with Savage's advice about aiming points - it accounts for the slack in the trigger, and probably results in more heart shots than anything.

I make noise to stop deer a lot. Although the mouth bleat thing I generally think is dumb when the deer are distracted.

Next time a deer is hauling through the woods like that, his attention is VERY focused on something else. In that situation, if you want him to stop, you should be pretty forceful.

Whistling sometimes works, but not often in my experience (you have to whistle several times before they realize that it's not just a wacko bird, and sometimes even that doesn't cut it). Also, if it's very cold it's hard to make any noise with your dried-out lips...

I typically yell "HEY!" or "STOP!". I've probably killed 10 deer doing that. The situation is always that a deer is moving along somewhat quickly (and is not super close), and I need it to lock up in its tracks. It has worked 100% of the time for me, both from stands or at ground. Average shot distance has probably been about 60-70 yards.

Obviously I wouldn't do that on a spooked deer, or one that is very close (I've never done it during archery season, for example).

I see the logic in using natural sounds (and I think there's a place for that), but in a situation like yours, you need something that is more attention-getting or a buck will not break contact with the doe.

Just my experience...

Page all of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
JPG3, red arrow, ICUFLY, east_tn_gk, cruiser sailor
13210 Registered Users
Who's Online
118 registered (GoldenEagle09, sgtwebb1, 2in1shot, Jcalder, ffmedic, Blue Water Buck, 14 invisible) and 145 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13210 Members
42 Forums
91623 Topics
1070891 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.088 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.