Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#3049397 - 11/26/12 09:47 AM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: ]
Bone Collector
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

I agree. I always say I shot or killed an animal. I am not ashamed of doing so either.

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
General James Mattis

#3049412 - 11/26/12 09:56 AM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: String Music]
WRbowhunter
8 Point

Loc: collierville,tn

I hunt and Kill deer. That's just me. When I think of the word harvest and deer I tend to think of watching a TV show with a hunter and a guide sitting in a box blind out in Texas or something and the guide telling the hunter which deer he can and can not shoot. And if you shoot this one its going to be X dollars or this one its going to be this amount. And there is nothing wrong with that if that's what you want to do. But at that point the deer is grown and protected until it gets to be the desired product. And yes at that point I would think you would call that deer being harvested.

#3049457 - 11/26/12 10:31 AM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: WRbowhunter]
waynesworld
8 Point

Loc: Mboro, Tennessee

I look at it as we kill deer, the act of taking the life.

The farmer/butcher kills his cow, the act taking the life.

TWRA calls it harvest for lack of better words, the intentional killing of deer using the hunters to control population.

If anyone hears me say I just harvested a deer please harvest me as I have goon off the PC deep end. \:\)

Or some of you more fortunate may look at the word slaughter as you get to kill mass deer while us poor folk just get to kill one or two.

Edited by waynesworld (11/26/12 10:32 AM)

#3049711 - 11/26/12 01:12 PM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: Poser]
String Music
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville

Originally Posted By: Poser
 Originally Posted By: Bottom Hunter

What does it matter what someone calls an animal or the act of taking it's life?

enjoy

Again, it has to do with the way in which we think about hunting. A young hunters grows up hearing nothing but euphemisms ("harvest") and slang ("meat missile", "Dirt Nap", "Lung butter" etc) with regards to the discussion of death and the act of killing. In fact, a young hunter today may never hear much less use the term "kill" to describe anything to do with the act of hunting. Are you telling me that this language does not condition a hunter's thought process over time?

One other thing to add. If we can all agree that the use of this term originates from TV shows, I would bet my bottom dollar that the use of this term was heavily pushed by the producers and sponsors of the shows. That being the case, it is clearly an agenda. Its not about "throwing" it someone's face, its just that every time someone publicly uses the word "harvest", the word "killing" begins to take on a different meaning in relation. At some point further down the road, this will make hunting easier to criticize: "Hunters know what they are doing is wrong, they can't even use the word "kill" in the same sentence as "hunt." I'm not telling anyone what to do, what words to use, or even criticizing anyone, just pointing out that hiding behind language is a slippery slope and if the word "harvest" is so benign, ask the question why are many so quick to defend its exclusive use as a replacement for "killing"?

"Kill" is simply a term used to describe the ending of a one's existence. Although it is used to describe the ending of an animal's or person's life, the term alone does not convey a gruesome or heinous nature associated with how one's life ended. Furthermore, it can be used in peaceful contexts such as killing time, killing the other team, killing the clock, etc.

Howeverm there are other terms that imply the difficulty and level of brutality involved in ending one's life such as: slaughter, assassinate, crucify, execute, annihilate, etc.

In other words, removing the word "kill" as a description of ending a deer's life does not single-handily remove the nature and extent of the act.

For example, when kids squash a bug, they often brag about "killing" the bug. The term "kill" as it is used here hardly describes the brutal nature in which he ended the bug's life (crushed bug causing its eyes, brains, and guts to be smeared on a window, his hand, etc). If you tell a kid to "squash" one bug and "kill" another bug the kid will likely use the same method with the same outcome to end its life. In other words, kids don't treat the request to "kill" the bug any differently than they do the request to "squash" it.

My point is that simply using the term "kill" does not in itself signify the heightened responsibility and brutality associated with intentionally ending a deer's life. To the contrary, kids might associate "killing" a deer with their experience of "killing" bugs.
"For I know the plans I have for you..." Jer. 29:11

#3049721 - 11/26/12 01:17 PM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: String Music]
String Music
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville

Whether you use the term "harvest" or "kill," every hunter knows the the words describe the same outcome. Both can be used in different contexts to mean different things.
"For I know the plans I have for you..." Jer. 29:11

#3049741 - 11/26/12 01:27 PM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: String Music]
Outdoor Enthusiast
8 Point

Loc: Carthage, TN

Originally Posted By: String Music

"Kill" is simply a term used to describe the ending of a one's existence. Although it is used to describe the ending of an animal's or person's life, the term alone does not convey a gruesome or heinous nature associated with how one's life ended. Furthermore, it can be used in peaceful contexts such as killing time, killing the other team, killing the clock, etc.

Howeverm there are other terms that imply the difficulty and level of brutality involved in ending one's life such as: slaughter, assassinate, crucify, execute, annihilate, etc.

In other words, removing the word "kill" as a description of ending a deer's life does not single-handily remove the nature and extent of the act.

For example, when kids squash a bug, they often brag about "killing" the bug. The term "kill" as it is used here hardly describes the brutal nature in which he ended the bug's life (crushed bug causing its eyes, brains, and guts to be smeared on a window, his hand, etc). If you tell a kid to "squash" one bug and "kill" another bug the kid will likely use the same method with the same outcome to end its life. In other words, kids don't treat the request to "kill" the bug any differently than they do the request to "squash" it.

My point is that simply using the term "kill" does not in itself signify the heightened responsibility and brutality associated with intentionally ending a deer's life. To the contrary, kids might associate "killing" a deer with their experience of "killing" bugs.

Game. Set. Match. Very well put.

Poser - the biggest problem I have with this thread and some similar threads you have posted as of late is that you are coming across much like the trophy-hunters you incessantly bash. Whether it be your dislike of "lazy" hunters' style, their choice to take the deer to a processor, or their practicing of QDM (or lack thereof), you come across as full of yourself. If we all take this attitude towards our fellow hunters and the non-hunters, we won't be making friends or improving the future of hunting.

And on top of that - I think that Bowriter has already laid claim to this topic. If my memory serves me, he even wrote an article on "kill vs. harvest".

Edited by Outdoor Enthusiast (11/26/12 01:29 PM)

#3049864 - 11/26/12 02:46 PM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: Outdoor Enthusiast]
shagy99
Spike

Loc: Maury county

I can Kill a man but I do not Harvest him. To me Harvest infers a food source plant or aminal. You kill weeds in the garden but pick the tomato crop. I killed a skunk with my car, but I harvested a deer. It adds detail to why the animal was killed. Its just like fishing. Nobody "Kills fish" but they do "clean, Filet, or cube" fish. Culling is the same its killing for a specific purpose, population control. I don't think its softening anything I see it as adding detail. Makes sense to me, just my .02 cents.
#3049881 - 11/26/12 02:55 PM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: Poser]
JeepKuntry
16 Point

Loc: Clinton, TN

Agree. And all of these says like "I smoked him" drive me crazy. Another way to get around saying good shot, that's a dead deer. I kill deer. I also am not ashamed of it. I will drive with my tailgate down, or have the deer where you can see the rack or hooves out the bed of my truck. Nothing we do will ever make anti-hunters happy so why waste energy trying to please them. Yes I'm sure they vote, what makes you think they would vote for your right to hunt regardless?

#3050057 - 11/26/12 04:12 PM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: ]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Swamphunter
 Originally Posted By: JeepKuntry
Nothing we do will ever make anti-hunters happy so why waste energy trying to please them. Yes I'm sure they vote, what makes you think they would vote for your right to hunt regardless?

Bingo! The hunting world keeps getting more and more PC and PETA and the antis keep growing in numbers. Why should I try to please them? I won't.

I wouldn't say that they are growing in numbers, at least not significantly. PETA isn't even that relevant. Have you looked at their pamphlets? Its just a bunch of celebrities telling you why you shouldn't eat meat. Pamela Anderson talking about the merits of veganism is hardly going to convert non believers in droves. Beisdes, I personally know former vegans who are now avid hunters \:\)

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3050083 - 11/26/12 04:28 PM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: ]
pass-thru
10 Point

Loc: va beach

Originally Posted By: Swamphunter
 Originally Posted By: JeepKuntry
Nothing we do will ever make anti-hunters happy so why waste energy trying to please them. Yes I'm sure they vote, what makes you think they would vote for your right to hunt regardless?

Bingo! The hunting world keeps getting more and more PC and PETA and the antis keep growing in numbers. Why should I try to please them? I won't.

Anti-hunters are a small minority. Non-hunters are the vast majority. If you offend the non-hunters, you end up with more anti-hunters.

Page 3 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
5 registered (camohunter3, wireman, gustaf, landman, LettemWalk) and 86 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180120 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.006 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.