Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#3049055 - 11/26/12 05:06 AM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: Poser]
Buzzard Breath
8 Point

Loc: East

Go to the "Quality Deer Management" forum and tell me that what they are doing is all that different than raising vegetables.

I use the term harvest when I'm implying that I further used the animal. Big game and small game alike. I use the word kill when I go on and further explain how I went ahead and processed it.

I think hunters judging hunters for the way they talk has a far more detrimental effect than the terminology they use when explaining their final actions of a hunt. Someone has previously suggested that I take up tennis because I'm a mamby pamby for using the word harvest. I guess they figure only big truck driving, tobacco spitting, manly men are the only people who should be tough enough to go out and do some killing. That would really help with hunter recruitment. We have much bigger problems facing the future of hunting than the words we use to explain the outcome.

And "yes", I am concerned about what the 80% of the voting population that doesn't have strong feelings for or against hunting think, so it is partly me being politically correct. They are the ones who will ultimately decide the fate of hunting.

#3049085 - 11/26/12 05:54 AM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: Buzzard Breath]
thebeard
Spike

Loc: tn, usa

Buzz mcmanus I think you are spot on here. Im more than a little bit surprised by posers and many others on heres response to the word harvest. I use it myself when I refer to all game annimals I put on the table. I kill rats in a trap I harvest my meat....
#3049110 - 11/26/12 06:27 AM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: thebeard]
Bottom Hunter
16 Point

Loc: Hatchie Bottoms

I too use the term harvest, but not all the time...I think that people know what you mean when you say harvest or kill.

I'm wondering what gives any hunter the right to tell another hunter what terminology to use...

There are lots of terminology out there, in regards to deer....such as buck, doe, spike, button, yearling, nanner head, pig, wallhanger, booner, slick head, pope and young, brute,and so forth.
And as for KILL, here's a few...Dropped the Hammer, Put the smack down on him, dropped one, shot, arrowed, laid one down, etc and so forth, you get my point.

What does it matter what someone calls an animal or the act of taking it's life?

When you pick fruit or vegetables, do you not kill them? Are they not alive at time of harvest? Did they not eat , breathe and grow just prior to you harvesting them? then why not call it killing a field of corn or cotton....?

The point is simply......I have read this exact thread every year, sometimes more than once a year, since I joined here and I still have no understanding as to why people care that a hunter calls it harvesting.....did someone demand that YOU call it harvesting? I'm thinking..NO.

Once again, the overreacting of the masses leads to unnecessary anger and frustration.

I plan to harvest a nice buck this week. Anyone else plan to kill one? See, that wasn't too hard to swallow, now was it??

enjoy

Edited by Bottom Hunter (11/26/12 06:29 AM)

Walk away; the battle they are fighting is not with you, but with themselves.

#3049130 - 11/26/12 06:41 AM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: thebeard]
BigGameGuy
TWRA Biologist
12 Point

Loc: Nashville

Here's another angle...

First off, I have no problem when people tell me what they killed. As hunters, that's the end-product of what we do. But I think Buzz makes a great point. We need to look at the big picture and how hunting fits into society today. Unfortunately we can't afford to be an in-your-face that's how-we-roll kinda crowd. As Buzz pointed out, there's 80% of the folks out there that don't care what we do. If they start caring because they get offended we'll have a whole lot more to worry about than just what word we use when we kill a deer. The best thing to do is be mindful of who you're speaking to. Anyhow, here is our (TWRA) justification...

As an Agency, TWRA is mandated by the legislature that we only allow "surplus" animals to be hunted. We are never to allow our resources to be negatively impacted unless their is sufficient cause. Therefore, in the big-picture we tend to look at our resources as a crop. In other words, what can we "harvest" so that there is ample seed for next years crop? This is why we produce harvest reports, to reiterate the taking of the surplus animals.

"And Yes, Representative _________, my Dad killed a nice 8-point this year. That was part of the overall harvest in your county."

Just be mindful of the crowd.

#3049137 - 11/26/12 06:47 AM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: BigGameGuy]
Bottom Hunter
16 Point

Loc: Hatchie Bottoms

Originally Posted By: BigGameGuy
Here's another angle...

First off, I have no problem when people tell me what they killed. As hunters, that's the end-product of what we do. But I think Buzz makes a great point. We need to look at the big picture and how hunting fits into society today. Unfortunately we can't afford to be an in-your-face that's how-we-roll kinda crowd. As Buzz pointed out, there's 80% of the folks out there that don't care what we do. If they start caring because they get offended we'll have a whole lot more to worry about than just what word we use when we kill a deer. The best thing to do is be mindful of who you're speaking to. Anyhow, here is our (TWRA) justification...

As an Agency, TWRA is mandated by the legislature that we only allow "surplus" animals to be hunted. We are never to allow our resources to be negatively impacted unless their is sufficient cause. Therefore, in the big-picture we tend to look at our resources as a crop. In other words, what can we "harvest" so that there is ample seed for next years crop? This is why we produce harvest reports, to reiterate the taking of the surplus animals.

"And Yes, Representative _________, my Dad killed a nice 8-point this year. That was part of the overall harvest in your county."

Just be mindful of the crowd.

I agree. The sad part is that with most any activity, some people can not just be happy with their right to pursue whatever it is that they desire. They have to tell you about it and tell you that they do not care what you think about it....

let's all just be happy that we have this right to hunt and stop poking the hornet nest...lol.

Walk away; the battle they are fighting is not with you, but with themselves.

#3049263 - 11/26/12 08:26 AM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: Bottom Hunter]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

I use the word "harvest" when discussing herd biology, because it is the correct biological term. But I have no problem with using the word "kill" when I'm talking about what I killed or a group of hunters killed. I don't use the word "harvest" to be politically correct, I use it to be biological correct.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3049319 - 11/26/12 08:51 AM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: BSK]
W.Seay
14 Point

Loc: Collierville,TN.

My mouth wont say the words harvest or bagged when talking about deer! I kill deer and I dont care who thinks what about it!!!

#3049354 - 11/26/12 09:15 AM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: Bottom Hunter]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Bottom Hunter

What does it matter what someone calls an animal or the act of taking it's life?

enjoy

Again, it has to do with the way in which we think about hunting. A young hunters grows up hearing nothing but euphemisms ("harvest") and slang ("meat missile", "Dirt Nap", "Lung butter" etc) with regards to the discussion of death and the act of killing. In fact, a young hunter today may never hear much less use the term "kill" to describe anything to do with the act of hunting. Are you telling me that this language does not condition a hunter's thought process over time?

One other thing to add. If we can all agree that the use of this term originates from TV shows, I would bet my bottom dollar that the use of this term was heavily pushed by the producers and sponsors of the shows. That being the case, it is clearly an agenda. Its not about "throwing" it someone's face, its just that every time someone publicly uses the word "harvest", the word "killing" begins to take on a different meaning in relation. At some point further down the road, this will make hunting easier to criticize: "Hunters know what they are doing is wrong, they can't even use the word "kill" in the same sentence as "hunt." I'm not telling anyone what to do, what words to use, or even criticizing anyone, just pointing out that hiding behind language is a slippery slope and if the word "harvest" is so benign, ask the question why are many so quick to defend its exclusive use as a replacement for "killing"?

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3049356 - 11/26/12 09:16 AM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: Bottom Hunter]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

confused Online
 Originally Posted By: Bottom Hunter
I too use the term harvest, but not all the time...I think that people know what you mean when you say harvest or kill.

I'm wondering what gives any hunter the right to tell another hunter what terminology to use...

There are lots of terminology out there, in regards to deer....such as buck, doe, spike, button, yearling, nanner head, pig, wallhanger, booner, slick head, pope and young, brute,and so forth.
And as for KILL, here's a few...Dropped the Hammer, Put the smack down on him, dropped one, shot, arrowed, laid one down, etc and so forth, you get my point.

When you pick fruit or vegetables, do you not kill them? Are they not alive at time of harvest? Did they not eat , breathe and grow just prior to you harvesting them? then why not call it killing a field of corn or cotton....?

The point is simply......I have read this exact thread every year, sometimes more than once a year, since I joined here and I still have no understanding as to why people care that a hunter calls it harvesting.....did someone demand that YOU call it harvesting? I'm thinking..NO.

Once again, the overreacting of the masses leads to unnecessary anger and frustration.

I plan to harvest a nice buck this week. Anyone else plan to kill one? See, that wasn't too hard to swallow, now was it??

enjoy
I don't say "harvest" for the same reason I don't use other politically correct terms like "African American". Come on, I didn't harvest my deer, I did nothing to grow them. They made a wrong move and I killed them. As for the other terminology such as smack down, dirt nap etc I think that's mostly born from hunting shows which usually don't portray hunting very well. If you see me use some stupid term like that its probably because of bowriters post earlier this season and I like to joke around.

You probably won't hear me telling people what terminology to use and not use, but that doesn't mean certain terms like "harvest a deer" aren't politically correct and actually incorrect.

It sounds like in general you are leaning on the side of political correctness which I really don't understand why.

#3049385 - 11/26/12 09:37 AM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: W.Seay]
String Music
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville

Wow, this guy is a real winner. Nothing promotes the hunting industry better than a picture of a guy holding a knife and saying "Killing Deer is Killing."

This guy lost all credibility with me when I read this: "He dislikes the supermarket meat department shrinkwrap, foam trays, and stainless steel surfaces which hide the reality of cleavers, meathooks, and blood-boots." Really? Supermarkets aren't trying to hide this reality nor are consumers ignorant as to what goes on "behind the scenes." In fact, the use of shrinkwrap, foam trays, meathooks, and blood-boots is closer to the definition of "harvesting" than it is to "killing."

I use the term "harvest" because I feel it is a little more respectful to the deer. Sorta like not having their tongue hanging out of their mouth in pictures. However, I still use both terms interchangeably and have no problem with those who choose to use the term "killing" exclusively. This whole topic is a bit ridiculous.

It appears there will be a follow-up article to this one called, "Deer are Deer, Not Swamp Donkeys."
"For I know the plans I have for you..." Jer. 29:11

Page 2 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
91 registered (Drop 4/5, Smokyrider, sharris10, eandadad, JayMc, Team Passintime, 10 invisible) and 174 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
96114 Topics
1125363 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.088 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.