Topic Options
#3048578 - 11/25/12 07:02 PM Its killing not "Harvesting"
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Agreed

http://wmra.org/post/killing-deer-killing-and-necessary

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3048643 - 11/25/12 07:24 PM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: Poser]
plumbdaddy
4 Point

agree
#3048644 - 11/25/12 07:25 PM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: plumbdaddy]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

Harvesting is what vegatarians do in the produce section at walmart!

Edited by timberjack86 (11/25/12 07:26 PM)

#3048652 - 11/25/12 07:28 PM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: timberjack86]
ImThere
10 Point

Loc: Lewisburg, Tn

content Online
Yep, aint no farmer myself!

#3048670 - 11/25/12 07:35 PM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: timberjack86]
Treestand Troubadour
4 Point

Loc: Carter County

Originally Posted By: timberjack86
Harvesting is what vegatarians do in the produce section at walmart!

"harvesting" is what the "amigos" do

#3048692 - 11/25/12 07:43 PM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: Treestand Troubadour]
JSPAL270
6 Point

Loc: BLOUNT CO

Arise kill and eat!!!
#3048947 - 11/25/12 10:29 PM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: ]
pass-thru
10 Point

Loc: va beach

I don't think of "harvesting" as just a euphemism. It connotes subsequent use of the animal. Killing does not.
#3048962 - 11/25/12 10:54 PM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: pass-thru]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: pass-thru
I don't think of "harvesting" as just a euphemism. It connotes subsequent use of the animal. Killing does not.

Maybe, just maybe you have a case there, BUT, hunters tend to only apply that term to big game animals. No one uses it to denote small game, upland birds, waterfowl etc. Why is that? and, since the term "harvest" is not applied to hunted animals across the board, what does that say about the people who use the term in the sense that you describe? Big game animals have subsequent use where waterfowl and small game do not? Face it, its TV lingo; a euphemism for killing trophy animals on TV that has entered the contemporary hunter lexicon. Some are quick to dismiss such language as just being "words", but the language we use says volumes about the way in which we think about hunting. That being the case, burying ourselves in euphemisms seems like a rather bad idea.

I once asked a hunter why she uses the word "harvest" and she stated that she is a hunter not a "murderer." This speaks volumes about that way in which she thinks about hunting. She thinks by killing a deer, one is "murdering" a deer, yet the act of "harvesting" a deer is somehow different. That is a problem, possibly a big problem that will bite hunting in its arse further down the road.

#3048979 - 11/25/12 11:33 PM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: ]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

confused Online
harvesting - reaping the food that has been sown

foraging - taking food growing in the wild

hunting - killing an animal that is smarter than most human vegetarians.

...since last deer season

#3049038 - 11/26/12 04:07 AM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: catman529]
cbcs1987
4 Point

Loc: east

I cringe when I hear the word harvest when applied to hunting or gardening.my neighbor is from Pennsylvania. She doesn't say she picks tomatoes out of a garden. She harvest them haha. Same goes for deer hunting. You don't harvest a deer.you harvest a20 acre soybean field,IMO
#3049055 - 11/26/12 05:06 AM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: Poser]
Buzzard Breath
8 Point

Loc: East

Go to the "Quality Deer Management" forum and tell me that what they are doing is all that different than raising vegetables.

I use the term harvest when I'm implying that I further used the animal. Big game and small game alike. I use the word kill when I go on and further explain how I went ahead and processed it.

I think hunters judging hunters for the way they talk has a far more detrimental effect than the terminology they use when explaining their final actions of a hunt. Someone has previously suggested that I take up tennis because I'm a mamby pamby for using the word harvest. I guess they figure only big truck driving, tobacco spitting, manly men are the only people who should be tough enough to go out and do some killing. That would really help with hunter recruitment. We have much bigger problems facing the future of hunting than the words we use to explain the outcome.

And "yes", I am concerned about what the 80% of the voting population that doesn't have strong feelings for or against hunting think, so it is partly me being politically correct. They are the ones who will ultimately decide the fate of hunting.

#3049085 - 11/26/12 05:54 AM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: Buzzard Breath]
thebeard
Spike

Loc: tn, usa

Buzz mcmanus I think you are spot on here. Im more than a little bit surprised by posers and many others on heres response to the word harvest. I use it myself when I refer to all game annimals I put on the table. I kill rats in a trap I harvest my meat....
#3049110 - 11/26/12 06:27 AM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: thebeard]
Bottom Hunter
16 Point

Loc: Hatchie Bottoms

I too use the term harvest, but not all the time...I think that people know what you mean when you say harvest or kill.

I'm wondering what gives any hunter the right to tell another hunter what terminology to use...

There are lots of terminology out there, in regards to deer....such as buck, doe, spike, button, yearling, nanner head, pig, wallhanger, booner, slick head, pope and young, brute,and so forth.
And as for KILL, here's a few...Dropped the Hammer, Put the smack down on him, dropped one, shot, arrowed, laid one down, etc and so forth, you get my point.

What does it matter what someone calls an animal or the act of taking it's life?

When you pick fruit or vegetables, do you not kill them? Are they not alive at time of harvest? Did they not eat , breathe and grow just prior to you harvesting them? then why not call it killing a field of corn or cotton....?

The point is simply......I have read this exact thread every year, sometimes more than once a year, since I joined here and I still have no understanding as to why people care that a hunter calls it harvesting.....did someone demand that YOU call it harvesting? I'm thinking..NO.

Once again, the overreacting of the masses leads to unnecessary anger and frustration.

I plan to harvest a nice buck this week. Anyone else plan to kill one? See, that wasn't too hard to swallow, now was it??

enjoy

Edited by Bottom Hunter (11/26/12 06:29 AM)

Walk away; the battle they are fighting is not with you, but with themselves.

#3049130 - 11/26/12 06:41 AM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: thebeard]
BigGameGuy
TWRA Biologist
12 Point

Loc: Nashville

Here's another angle...

First off, I have no problem when people tell me what they killed. As hunters, that's the end-product of what we do. But I think Buzz makes a great point. We need to look at the big picture and how hunting fits into society today. Unfortunately we can't afford to be an in-your-face that's how-we-roll kinda crowd. As Buzz pointed out, there's 80% of the folks out there that don't care what we do. If they start caring because they get offended we'll have a whole lot more to worry about than just what word we use when we kill a deer. The best thing to do is be mindful of who you're speaking to. Anyhow, here is our (TWRA) justification...

As an Agency, TWRA is mandated by the legislature that we only allow "surplus" animals to be hunted. We are never to allow our resources to be negatively impacted unless their is sufficient cause. Therefore, in the big-picture we tend to look at our resources as a crop. In other words, what can we "harvest" so that there is ample seed for next years crop? This is why we produce harvest reports, to reiterate the taking of the surplus animals.

"And Yes, Representative _________, my Dad killed a nice 8-point this year. That was part of the overall harvest in your county."

Just be mindful of the crowd.

#3049137 - 11/26/12 06:47 AM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: BigGameGuy]
Bottom Hunter
16 Point

Originally Posted By: BigGameGuy
Here's another angle...

First off, I have no problem when people tell me what they killed. As hunters, that's the end-product of what we do. But I think Buzz makes a great point. We need to look at the big picture and how hunting fits into society today. Unfortunately we can't afford to be an in-your-face that's how-we-roll kinda crowd. As Buzz pointed out, there's 80% of the folks out there that don't care what we do. If they start caring because they get offended we'll have a whole lot more to worry about than just what word we use when we kill a deer. The best thing to do is be mindful of who you're speaking to. Anyhow, here is our (TWRA) justification...

As an Agency, TWRA is mandated by the legislature that we only allow "surplus" animals to be hunted. We are never to allow our resources to be negatively impacted unless their is sufficient cause. Therefore, in the big-picture we tend to look at our resources as a crop. In other words, what can we "harvest" so that there is ample seed for next years crop? This is why we produce harvest reports, to reiterate the taking of the surplus animals.

"And Yes, Representative _________, my Dad killed a nice 8-point this year. That was part of the overall harvest in your county."

Just be mindful of the crowd.

I agree. The sad part is that with most any activity, some people can not just be happy with their right to pursue whatever it is that they desire. They have to tell you about it and tell you that they do not care what you think about it....

let's all just be happy that we have this right to hunt and stop poking the hornet nest...lol.

#3049263 - 11/26/12 08:26 AM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: Bottom Hunter]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

I use the word "harvest" when discussing herd biology, because it is the correct biological term. But I have no problem with using the word "kill" when I'm talking about what I killed or a group of hunters killed. I don't use the word "harvest" to be politically correct, I use it to be biological correct.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3049319 - 11/26/12 08:51 AM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: BSK]
W.Seay
14 Point

Loc: Collierville,TN.

My mouth wont say the words harvest or bagged when talking about deer! I kill deer and I dont care who thinks what about it!!!

#3049354 - 11/26/12 09:15 AM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: Bottom Hunter]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Bottom Hunter

What does it matter what someone calls an animal or the act of taking it's life?

enjoy

Again, it has to do with the way in which we think about hunting. A young hunters grows up hearing nothing but euphemisms ("harvest") and slang ("meat missile", "Dirt Nap", "Lung butter" etc) with regards to the discussion of death and the act of killing. In fact, a young hunter today may never hear much less use the term "kill" to describe anything to do with the act of hunting. Are you telling me that this language does not condition a hunter's thought process over time?

One other thing to add. If we can all agree that the use of this term originates from TV shows, I would bet my bottom dollar that the use of this term was heavily pushed by the producers and sponsors of the shows. That being the case, it is clearly an agenda. Its not about "throwing" it someone's face, its just that every time someone publicly uses the word "harvest", the word "killing" begins to take on a different meaning in relation. At some point further down the road, this will make hunting easier to criticize: "Hunters know what they are doing is wrong, they can't even use the word "kill" in the same sentence as "hunt." I'm not telling anyone what to do, what words to use, or even criticizing anyone, just pointing out that hiding behind language is a slippery slope and if the word "harvest" is so benign, ask the question why are many so quick to defend its exclusive use as a replacement for "killing"?

#3049356 - 11/26/12 09:16 AM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: Bottom Hunter]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

confused Online
I too use the term harvest, but not all the time...I think that people know what you mean when you say harvest or kill.

I'm wondering what gives any hunter the right to tell another hunter what terminology to use...

There are lots of terminology out there, in regards to deer....such as buck, doe, spike, button, yearling, nanner head, pig, wallhanger, booner, slick head, pope and young, brute,and so forth.
And as for KILL, here's a few...Dropped the Hammer, Put the smack down on him, dropped one, shot, arrowed, laid one down, etc and so forth, you get my point.

When you pick fruit or vegetables, do you not kill them? Are they not alive at time of harvest? Did they not eat , breathe and grow just prior to you harvesting them? then why not call it killing a field of corn or cotton....?

The point is simply......I have read this exact thread every year, sometimes more than once a year, since I joined here and I still have no understanding as to why people care that a hunter calls it harvesting.....did someone demand that YOU call it harvesting? I'm thinking..NO.

Once again, the overreacting of the masses leads to unnecessary anger and frustration.

I plan to harvest a nice buck this week. Anyone else plan to kill one? See, that wasn't too hard to swallow, now was it??

enjoy
I don't say "harvest" for the same reason I don't use other politically correct terms like "African American". Come on, I didn't harvest my deer, I did nothing to grow them. They made a wrong move and I killed them. As for the other terminology such as smack down, dirt nap etc I think that's mostly born from hunting shows which usually don't portray hunting very well. If you see me use some stupid term like that its probably because of bowriters post earlier this season and I like to joke around.

You probably won't hear me telling people what terminology to use and not use, but that doesn't mean certain terms like "harvest a deer" aren't politically correct and actually incorrect.

It sounds like in general you are leaning on the side of political correctness which I really don't understand why.

...since last deer season

#3049385 - 11/26/12 09:37 AM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: W.Seay]
String Music
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville

Wow, this guy is a real winner. Nothing promotes the hunting industry better than a picture of a guy holding a knife and saying "Killing Deer is Killing."

This guy lost all credibility with me when I read this: "He dislikes the supermarket meat department shrinkwrap, foam trays, and stainless steel surfaces which hide the reality of cleavers, meathooks, and blood-boots." Really? Supermarkets aren't trying to hide this reality nor are consumers ignorant as to what goes on "behind the scenes." In fact, the use of shrinkwrap, foam trays, meathooks, and blood-boots is closer to the definition of "harvesting" than it is to "killing."

I use the term "harvest" because I feel it is a little more respectful to the deer. Sorta like not having their tongue hanging out of their mouth in pictures. However, I still use both terms interchangeably and have no problem with those who choose to use the term "killing" exclusively. This whole topic is a bit ridiculous.

It appears there will be a follow-up article to this one called, "Deer are Deer, Not Swamp Donkeys."
"For I know the plans I have for you..." Jer. 29:11

Hunting Photography:

facebook.com/AMOutdoorPhotography

www.amcunninghamoutdoors.com

#3049397 - 11/26/12 09:47 AM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: ]
Bone Collector
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

I agree. I always say I shot or killed an animal. I am not ashamed of doing so either.

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
General James Mattis

#3049412 - 11/26/12 09:56 AM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: String Music]
WRbowhunter
8 Point

Loc: collierville,tn

I hunt and Kill deer. That's just me. When I think of the word harvest and deer I tend to think of watching a TV show with a hunter and a guide sitting in a box blind out in Texas or something and the guide telling the hunter which deer he can and can not shoot. And if you shoot this one its going to be X dollars or this one its going to be this amount. And there is nothing wrong with that if that's what you want to do. But at that point the deer is grown and protected until it gets to be the desired product. And yes at that point I would think you would call that deer being harvested.

#3049457 - 11/26/12 10:31 AM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: WRbowhunter]
waynesworld
8 Point

Loc: Mboro, Tennessee

I look at it as we kill deer, the act of taking the life.

The farmer/butcher kills his cow, the act taking the life.

TWRA calls it harvest for lack of better words, the intentional killing of deer using the hunters to control population.

If anyone hears me say I just harvested a deer please harvest me as I have goon off the PC deep end. \:\)

Or some of you more fortunate may look at the word slaughter as you get to kill mass deer while us poor folk just get to kill one or two.

Edited by waynesworld (11/26/12 10:32 AM)

#3049711 - 11/26/12 01:12 PM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: Poser]
String Music
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Poser

enjoy

Again, it has to do with the way in which we think about hunting. A young hunters grows up hearing nothing but euphemisms ("harvest") and slang ("meat missile", "Dirt Nap", "Lung butter" etc) with regards to the discussion of death and the act of killing. In fact, a young hunter today may never hear much less use the term "kill" to describe anything to do with the act of hunting. Are you telling me that this language does not condition a hunter's thought process over time?

One other thing to add. If we can all agree that the use of this term originates from TV shows, I would bet my bottom dollar that the use of this term was heavily pushed by the producers and sponsors of the shows. That being the case, it is clearly an agenda. Its not about "throwing" it someone's face, its just that every time someone publicly uses the word "harvest", the word "killing" begins to take on a different meaning in relation. At some point further down the road, this will make hunting easier to criticize: "Hunters know what they are doing is wrong, they can't even use the word "kill" in the same sentence as "hunt." I'm not telling anyone what to do, what words to use, or even criticizing anyone, just pointing out that hiding behind language is a slippery slope and if the word "harvest" is so benign, ask the question why are many so quick to defend its exclusive use as a replacement for "killing"?

"Kill" is simply a term used to describe the ending of a one's existence. Although it is used to describe the ending of an animal's or person's life, the term alone does not convey a gruesome or heinous nature associated with how one's life ended. Furthermore, it can be used in peaceful contexts such as killing time, killing the other team, killing the clock, etc.

Howeverm there are other terms that imply the difficulty and level of brutality involved in ending one's life such as: slaughter, assassinate, crucify, execute, annihilate, etc.

In other words, removing the word "kill" as a description of ending a deer's life does not single-handily remove the nature and extent of the act.

For example, when kids squash a bug, they often brag about "killing" the bug. The term "kill" as it is used here hardly describes the brutal nature in which he ended the bug's life (crushed bug causing its eyes, brains, and guts to be smeared on a window, his hand, etc). If you tell a kid to "squash" one bug and "kill" another bug the kid will likely use the same method with the same outcome to end its life. In other words, kids don't treat the request to "kill" the bug any differently than they do the request to "squash" it.

My point is that simply using the term "kill" does not in itself signify the heightened responsibility and brutality associated with intentionally ending a deer's life. To the contrary, kids might associate "killing" a deer with their experience of "killing" bugs.

Hunting Photography:

#3049721 - 11/26/12 01:17 PM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: String Music]
String Music
8 Point

Whether you use the term "harvest" or "kill," every hunter knows the the words describe the same outcome. Both can be used in different contexts to mean different things.

Hunting Photography:

#3049741 - 11/26/12 01:27 PM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: String Music]
Outdoor Enthusiast
6 Point

Loc: Carthage, TN

Originally Posted By: String Music

"Kill" is simply a term used to describe the ending of a one's existence. Although it is used to describe the ending of an animal's or person's life, the term alone does not convey a gruesome or heinous nature associated with how one's life ended. Furthermore, it can be used in peaceful contexts such as killing time, killing the other team, killing the clock, etc.

Howeverm there are other terms that imply the difficulty and level of brutality involved in ending one's life such as: slaughter, assassinate, crucify, execute, annihilate, etc.

In other words, removing the word "kill" as a description of ending a deer's life does not single-handily remove the nature and extent of the act.

For example, when kids squash a bug, they often brag about "killing" the bug. The term "kill" as it is used here hardly describes the brutal nature in which he ended the bug's life (crushed bug causing its eyes, brains, and guts to be smeared on a window, his hand, etc). If you tell a kid to "squash" one bug and "kill" another bug the kid will likely use the same method with the same outcome to end its life. In other words, kids don't treat the request to "kill" the bug any differently than they do the request to "squash" it.

My point is that simply using the term "kill" does not in itself signify the heightened responsibility and brutality associated with intentionally ending a deer's life. To the contrary, kids might associate "killing" a deer with their experience of "killing" bugs.

Game. Set. Match. Very well put.

Poser - the biggest problem I have with this thread and some similar threads you have posted as of late is that you are coming across much like the trophy-hunters you incessantly bash. Whether it be your dislike of "lazy" hunters' style, their choice to take the deer to a processor, or their practicing of QDM (or lack thereof), you come across as full of yourself. If we all take this attitude towards our fellow hunters and the non-hunters, we won't be making friends or improving the future of hunting.

And on top of that - I think that Bowriter has already laid claim to this topic. If my memory serves me, he even wrote an article on "kill vs. harvest".

Edited by Outdoor Enthusiast (11/26/12 01:29 PM)

#3049864 - 11/26/12 02:46 PM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: Outdoor Enthusiast]
shagy99
Spike

Loc: rutherford co.

I can Kill a man but I do not Harvest him. To me Harvest infers a food source plant or aminal. You kill weeds in the garden but pick the tomato crop. I killed a skunk with my car, but I harvested a deer. It adds detail to why the animal was killed. Its just like fishing. Nobody "Kills fish" but they do "clean, Filet, or cube" fish. Culling is the same its killing for a specific purpose, population control. I don't think its softening anything I see it as adding detail. Makes sense to me, just my .02 cents.
#3049881 - 11/26/12 02:55 PM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: Poser]
JeepKuntry
16 Point

Loc: Clinton, TN

Agree. And all of these says like "I smoked him" drive me crazy. Another way to get around saying good shot, that's a dead deer. I kill deer. I also am not ashamed of it. I will drive with my tailgate down, or have the deer where you can see the rack or hooves out the bed of my truck. Nothing we do will ever make anti-hunters happy so why waste energy trying to please them. Yes I'm sure they vote, what makes you think they would vote for your right to hunt regardless?

#3050057 - 11/26/12 04:12 PM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: ]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Swamphunter
 Originally Posted By: JeepKuntry
Nothing we do will ever make anti-hunters happy so why waste energy trying to please them. Yes I'm sure they vote, what makes you think they would vote for your right to hunt regardless?

Bingo! The hunting world keeps getting more and more PC and PETA and the antis keep growing in numbers. Why should I try to please them? I won't.

I wouldn't say that they are growing in numbers, at least not significantly. PETA isn't even that relevant. Have you looked at their pamphlets? Its just a bunch of celebrities telling you why you shouldn't eat meat. Pamela Anderson talking about the merits of veganism is hardly going to convert non believers in droves. Beisdes, I personally know former vegans who are now avid hunters \:\)

#3050083 - 11/26/12 04:28 PM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: ]
pass-thru
10 Point

Loc: va beach

Nothing we do will ever make anti-hunters happy so why waste energy trying to please them. Yes I'm sure they vote, what makes you think they would vote for your right to hunt regardless?

Bingo! The hunting world keeps getting more and more PC and PETA and the antis keep growing in numbers. Why should I try to please them? I won't.

Anti-hunters are a small minority. Non-hunters are the vast majority. If you offend the non-hunters, you end up with more anti-hunters.

#3050106 - 11/26/12 04:39 PM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: pass-thru]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

You loose and arrow or pull a trigger and if you do it correctly, make no mistake, you kill. Hunting is about killing. It is what we do, it is our purpose for hunting. We may not always hunt just for the kill. It may become secondary at some point. But without killing, there is no hunting.

We do not harvest or bag or reap or sow.

We by God kill! It is time we quit this namby pamby crap and say it as it is.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3050254 - 11/26/12 06:08 PM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: catman529]
Bottom Hunter
16 Point

Originally Posted By: catman529

enjoy
I don't say "harvest" for the same reason I don't use other politically correct terms like "African American". Come on, I didn't harvest my deer, I did nothing to grow them. They made a wrong move and I killed them. As for the other terminology such as smack down, dirt nap etc I think that's mostly born from hunting shows which usually don't portray hunting very well. If you see me use some stupid term like that its probably because of bowriters post earlier this season and I like to joke around.

You probably won't hear me telling people what terminology to use and not use, but that doesn't mean certain terms like "harvest a deer" aren't politically correct and actually incorrect.

It sounds like in general you are leaning on the side of political correctness which I really don't understand why.

Not hardly....I just find it hard to understand why you or anyone else cares what someone calls it, killing, harvesting or whatever.....It amazes me that people care so much what others think....

As far as being politically correct in reference to African Americans......well, I do not care what a black man wants to be called. After all, they are only words and if I can make someone a bit less angry by calling him or her what he or she wishes to be called, then so be it...

To do otherwise is simply poking the nest of a hornet that probably has a pretty good reason to be angry in the first place...

Why look for trouble?????

But, I guess a man's gotta do what makes him happy...

I think I'll go take the life of a deer in the morning...who's with me???

#3050289 - 11/26/12 06:27 PM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: Bottom Hunter]
KPH
10 Point

Loc: Hendersonville Tenn

Back when I was in knee paints it was called hunting. We didn't even harvest our crops we gathered or picked them. We hunted and killed what we hunted. We killed our livestock. People weren't week kneed back then and there would not even be a discussion like this. It was called like it is.

#3050902 - 11/27/12 05:06 AM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: ]
Bottom Hunter
16 Point

This is amazing......seriously, it is.

Why are ya'll worried about what someone says or that someone calls killing, harvesting?? it's a word.

These are words used to describe an activity, nothing more.

Why are you all so dead set to make this some sort of battle between hunters and non-hunters? Even so much as to pit hunter against hunter based on what they call a particular activity like killing or harvesting..?

I swear, I believe some people get up in the morning desperately searching for some "cause" to fight for or some one to fight against....

Go kill a deer and stop worrying about what someone else calls it....what's next......?

Does the term Harvest Moon make anyone mad? lol

Please......chill, it will be okay.

#3050931 - 11/27/12 05:41 AM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: Bottom Hunter]
chris1976
Spike

Loc: Mont. co. TN

This may be the most ridiculous topic I have read on tndeer. Live and let live folks.
#3050940 - 11/27/12 05:49 AM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: chris1976]
Elite Mafia
4 Point

Loc: Tn

Agreed....what does it matter which word one wants to use. Kill, harvest, take, it all has the same end result.....death. We are on top of the food chain just the way God intended! Get over it!

#3050992 - 11/27/12 06:51 AM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: Elite Mafia]
Carlos Viagra
16 Point

Loc: Cumberland Plateau

Ditto that!

#3051069 - 11/27/12 07:47 AM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: pass-thru]
BSK
Non-Typical

Anti-hunters are a small minority. Non-hunters are the vast majority. If you offend the non-hunters, you end up with more anti-hunters.

Exactly. I could care less about the anti-hunters. What I'm concerned about is the opinion of non-hunters. Many non-hunters support hunting from both a traditional sense as well as a biological necessity. Those are the people I don't go out of my way to offend and turn into anti-hunters. It isn't about being "politically correct," it is about not rubbing blood and gore in their faces.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3051127 - 11/27/12 08:38 AM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: BSK]
Happy Birthday WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Loc: Benton Co.

If I go hunting in a open fence free range situation getting meat for my freezer and family I'm going to kill a deer. Buck or Doe whatever is 3.5 years old and big enough to justify paying the butcher.
If I go on a pay hunt where the deer are fenced in. If the cost of the hunt is decided by what you shoot the bigger it is the more it costs .It is still killing but you are harvesting something that someone has raised.You raise and harvest crops and only pick the biggest and best to sell. The not so pretty or big crops are culls for friends and family to eat.JMO It really makes no difference to me what someone else calls what they bring home from the field. My guess is most people use the term they were brought up using within thier family and circle of friends.
If you kill a cow or hog you do take it to the slaughter house not the harvest house.
Most guys on Tn deer kill or harvest a few deer.
There are a few that stand out from the rest that do go out and slaughter them and bring them home to finish the slaughtering \:\)
After the slaughtering the eating or devouring starts \:\)
Proverbs 3:27 Whenever you possibly can, do good to those who need it

#3051817 - 11/27/12 02:55 PM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: BSK]
JeepKuntry
16 Point

Loc: Clinton, TN

Originally Posted By: BSK

Exactly. I could care less about the anti-hunters. What I'm concerned about is the opinion of non-hunters. Many non-hunters support hunting from both a traditional sense as well as a biological necessity. Those are the people I don't go out of my way to offend and turn into anti-hunters. It isn't about being "politically correct," it is about not rubbing blood and gore in their faces.

I guess I think differently. I don't give a crap what others are doing. I'm not offended by what other people do either. I don't encourage people to break laws or anything, but it's high time people mind their own business. And quit acting offended by what somebody else may enjoy doing.

#3051860 - 11/27/12 03:22 PM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: ]
ReedJL
Spike

I don't CATCH deer and I don't Harvest them I KILL them!

#3051950 - 11/27/12 04:36 PM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: ]
bowriter
Non-Typical

If we keep inventing cute, PC phrases to substitute for what we do, where does it end? When do we start euthanizing instead of harvesting? At what point do we release them from life?

I strongly, quite strongly think it is time for us to take a stand and quit playing word games. I do not want non-hunters thinking I am making excuses for killing. Farmers don't.

Farmers do not harvest their chickens or hogs. They kill them. Why then should we sugar coat what we do? I absolutely refuse to use the word harvest in my columns, articles and books. I refer to the TWRA information as the kill report instead of what they call it. When I am sent a picture and someone says they "harvested" something, I change the word to kill.

Why use an incorrect term for a perfectly legitimate action? Let us all speak, write and act correctly.

I do not fear anti-hunters in the least. The group of hunters from which I believe we should be most concerned are hunters. They are the ones who will influence non-hunters.

#3052098 - 11/27/12 06:02 PM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: bowriter]
Buzzard Breath
8 Point

Originally Posted By: bowriter
Why use an incorrect term for a perfectly legitimate action? Let us all speak, write and act correctly.

You might want to buy a new, up-to-date dictionary.

The definition of harvest from Merriam-Webster's: "to gather, catch, hunt, or kill (as salmon, oysters, or deer) for human use, sport, or population control"

#3052118 - 11/27/12 06:10 PM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: Buzzard Breath]
bowriter
Non-Typical

You mean as in commercial salmon-pen raised, commercial oysters-seeded and deer-pen raised. My dictionary works just fine. You do not harvest deer for population control, you kill them.

I tawt we aww node dat.

#3052135 - 11/27/12 06:18 PM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: bowriter]
Buzzard Breath
8 Point

Originally Posted By: bowriter
You mean as in commercial salmon-pen raised, commercial oysters-seeded and deer-pen raised. My dictionary works just fine. You do not harvest deer for population control, you kill them.

I tawt we aww node dat.

I'm just quoting the dictionary. No reason to go spelling like a first grader.

#3052356 - 11/27/12 08:19 PM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: JeepKuntry]
ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER
16 Point

Loc: FRANKLIN COUNTY

who cares how someone describes by the word harvest or kill.it is the same thing to me
#3052647 - 11/28/12 04:56 AM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER]
Bottom Hunter
16 Point

The machoism never ends does it...lol.!!!!

You say to-ma-to and I say to-mah-to...lol.

I love the english language, so many words mean the same thing...

#3052667 - 11/28/12 05:45 AM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: Bottom Hunter]
high country
10 Point

Loc: Unicoi County

I don't have a problem using the term harvesting as much as the terms made famous by some of the celebrity hunters we have on the outdoor channel. Terms like dirt nap, wacked and stacked, dirt rolled, let the T/C bark. I think these terms are far worse for our sport than the term harvest. I mean, if you go to the TWRA's own web site to check the so called "kill" numbers they refer to the site as harvest reports not kill reports...

#3052869 - 11/28/12 07:21 AM Re: Its killing not "Harvesting" [Re: high country]
BSK
Non-Typical

Exactly hill country. "Harvest" is the biologically correct term when talking about the number of deer killed in a given area. However, using the term "kill" is the correct term when talking about an individual deer killed by a hunter (or an animal you yourself killed). When hunting, I don't "harvest" deer, I "kill" them. However, the deer I killed is part of the overall annual "harvest" of deer in TN.

Originally Posted By: high country
Terms like dirt nap, wacked and stacked, dirt rolled, let the T/C bark. I think these terms are far worse for our sport than the term harvest.

I couldn't agree more. I absolutely despise these terms.

Page all of 5 12345>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13278 Registered Users
Who's Online
82 registered (260rem, mossyoakmantn, longnosedoe, TNRazorback, stylishblueticks, utfan1, 8 invisible) and 125 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13278 Members
42 Forums
93195 Topics
1088515 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.4 seconds in which 0.038 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.