Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3047613 - 11/24/12 10:12 PM What happened to them ?
feathersandfur2214
6 Point

Loc: Roane Co, TN

So , last Saturday I went and hunted a new spot. In 3 hours I saw 4 bucks and 3 does.The place is a power line right of way with multiple crossings.I have let my son hunt it 3 times and I have hunted it once snce then and we have not saw anything ! I don't think you can go hunt a spot and see 7 deer and it be a fluke ! Guess I'll keep at it and see if they start coming back through. Any suggestions?
#3047621 - 11/24/12 10:25 PM Re: What happened to them ? [Re: feathersandfur2214]
travle
4 Point

Loc: NW Tenn

don't feel bad. i have a new spot and been 4 times and haven't seen the first deer. and no deer on trail cam the 3 days it was out. though the place is tore up with tracks, rubs, scrapes, and trails.
#3047726 - 11/25/12 06:20 AM Re: What happened to them ? [Re: travle]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

Same experience here. I thought for sure that the bigdrop in temperature yesterday would have them moving. Didn't work where I was! I sat until 9:45 without seeing a deer. When I got up to walk out of the woods, I jumped 1 doe and that's all I saw. Probably we are at the peek of the breeding phase of the rut? Hopefully next Saturday will have things back more to normal as I plan to shoot the 1st mature doe I see!

Edited by Hunter 257W (11/25/12 06:21 AM)

#3047732 - 11/25/12 06:34 AM Re: What happened to them ? [Re: Hunter 257W]
shopson
10 Point

Loc: Greeneville

Very possible one of the does was in heat and since she is done the bucks moved on.
#3047750 - 11/25/12 07:09 AM Re: What happened to them ? [Re: Hunter 257W]
TRIGGER
Michael Waddell stunt double
10 Point

Loc: Cunningham TN

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Hunter 257W
Same experience here. I thought for sure that the bigdrop in temperature yesterday would have them moving. Didn't work where I was! I sat until 9:45 without seeing a deer. When I got up to walk out of the woods, I jumped 1 doe and that's all I saw. Probably we are at the peek of the breeding phase of the rut? Hopefully next Saturday will have things back more to normal as I plan to shoot the 1st mature doe I see!

One of my spots was covered up with deer at first lite early in the season but the last 3 times I've hunted I haven't seen a deer before 8:30 then it's like someone opened the gates. Deer everywhere until around noon.

#3049180 - 11/26/12 07:32 AM Re: What happened to them ? [Re: TRIGGER]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

First, deer can cover huge areas from day to day. The deer you saw in one spot one day may be 3/4 of a mile away the next day.

Second, you may be overhunting that stand. Sightings from a single stand usually decline dramatically the more times you hunt the stand in a single year. Deer pick up on all of the scent that pours off your body while on stand and learn to avoid the area.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3049186 - 11/26/12 07:37 AM Re: What happened to them ? [Re: BSK]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

Originally Posted By: BSK

Second, you may be overhunting that stand. Sightings from a single stand usually decline dramatically the more times you hunt the stand in a single year. Deer pick up on all of the scent that pours off your body while on stand and learn to avoid the area.

i'm glad you said usually. we have 3 stands on our very small piece of ground and they get hunted hard. it is very rare to not see deer from at least one of them and usually from all.we are in and out year 'round and do nothing to keep the deer from knowing we were there. in fact, i WANT them to know i was there in a nonthreatening manner.

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

#3049267 - 11/26/12 08:27 AM Re: What happened to them ? [Re: stik]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: stik

i'm glad you said usually. we have 3 stands on our very small piece of ground and they get hunted hard. it is very rare to not see deer from at least one of them and usually from all.we are in and out year 'round and do nothing to keep the deer from knowing we were there. in fact, i WANT them to know i was there in a nonthreatening manner.

There are no absolutes when it comes to deer behavior, just trends! ;\)

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3049557 - 11/26/12 11:38 AM Re: What happened to them ? [Re: BSK]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

Originally Posted By: stik

There are no absolutes when it comes to deer behavior, just trends! ;\)

yep. never say never

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Jgard, JD1278, BGB, Mopartech, Skeeter1
13524 Registered Users
Who's Online
141 registered (greygoose, SPickle, deerhunter10, PinchPoint, ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER, RT1, 14 invisible) and 312 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13524 Members
42 Forums
98944 Topics
1163024 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.051 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.