Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3045621 - 11/23/12 07:59 AM Middle TN Rut and More Ramblings......
TN24081
TnDeer Old Timer
8 Point

Loc: southern middle Tennessee

Here in Giles County based on my own observations, I started seeing what I consider real rutting activity on Tuesday Nov 13 and peaking around the 18-19th. I am still seeing some chasing and still seeing young bucks cruising but a lot less than in previous days. I've witnessed 2 nice bucks tending does in the last 2 days. Even during my peak dates though, there were "lulls" in the action and periods of 4 hours of more where there was no action where I was at. Had I not spent dozens of previous hours in the woods in the days prior to these lulls, I would have thought that my deer were not in rut or that my area was behind schedule, when the truth of the matter was that I was simply in a spot where there was no action at that specific time. It's easy to mistake these lulls as "my deer not being in rut" and if you aren't able to spend ten hours or more in the woods a day in different spots, you may never see the real picture. Sign in the form or scrapes and rubs can vary from year to year depending upon the structure of your herd and in my opinion is not likely to contribute to you killing ole big boy during the rut anyways.. During this time of the year I think it's best to hunt where you see the most deer, not the most sign and maybe even more importantly, sit for as long as your wife/girlfriend or boss will allow you to. An extra ten minutes on the stand can be the difference between an awful morning and the best hunt of your life ! So give the girls a chance and let them slickheads be the key that unlocks the deadbolt of ole mossyhorns. Happy hunting....
#3045670 - 11/23/12 08:27 AM Re: Middle TN Rut and More Ramblings...... [Re: TN24081]
HuntingDicksonDTC
8 Point

Loc: Dickson

good post

Treat a man as he could be & he will become what he should be.

#3045692 - 11/23/12 08:42 AM Re: Middle TN Rut and More Ramblings...... [Re: HuntingDicksonDTC]
TN24081
TnDeer Old Timer
8 Point

Loc: southern middle Tennessee

thx
#3045951 - 11/23/12 02:10 PM Re: Middle TN Rut and More Ramblings...... [Re: TN24081]
Bone Collector
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

I agree, but i hunt Rutherford Co. usually from what i've witnessed and heard the rut starts around the begining of Nov. here (seeking/chasing phase) and goes into peak around the second week of ML/ first week of rifle. however thise year i saw the cruising bucks stating opening day of ML and saw them cruising alone throug the last day of ML. thanksgiving morning i saw my first chase, despite hearing they were chasing hard in Rutherford Co. i saw one lone young bck and a decent buck chasing a doe. she was on a dead sprint away from him, so i doubt they are being tended. However there are soe really thick areas on my property, so who knows what is going on in there... I think it varys from farm to farm depending on deer density and buck to doe ratio.

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
General James Mattis

#3049165 - 11/26/12 07:12 AM Re: Middle TN Rut and More Ramblings...... [Re: Bone Collector]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

I'm begining to believe too many hunters expect too much out of "the rut." Don't expect to see bucks chasing does everywhere every time you hunt, even during the peak of chasing. Even in a well-balanced herd, the rut still is spread over at least a 5 week period. And during that time I certainly wouldn't expect to see chasing all the time.

The rut in my area is usually pretty tightly timed, yet we still don't see chasing every day. With 3-5 hunters hunting the place, if someone sees some type of rutting activity once every day or two, we consider that exceptionally active rutting.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys, GUIDO
13383 Registered Users
Who's Online
57 registered (WG Taxidermist, BigDaddyFreeze, Hangnail, callemquacktn, cdw338, david k., 10 invisible) and 100 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13383 Members
42 Forums
95788 Topics
1121436 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.074 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.