Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3045098 - 11/22/12 04:29 PM EURO MOUNTS - - How To
HOOK
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Rutherford County, TN

OK....I've been asked by several to post this so here we go.

European Skull Mounts ~ By HOOK
Step one for some may be the most difficult part. You will be required to harvest an animal, unless you’re working under our infamous road kill law. Whatever the case you need a head. Remember any head is a trophy. Ok….. You have a nicely cut head and you have a job ahead of you. An extremely sharp fish fillet knife is the perfect tool and will complete most of the work. Its point is small enough to do intricate work where needed. I place the head on a makeshift table at a good working height and begin to cut while having flashbacks of gross anatomy classes in college. Starting at the nose make an incision up to the center of the head and then “Skin” the head. Then I removed the neck from the base of the skull.

Step two is easy pickings. It is just a bit time consuming. Cut as much muscle tissue away from the skull as possible and even puncturing the eyes at this point.

Step three I call deer head soup. Cooking heads is not for the squeamish as the odor is not at all pleasing so take that into consideration. A gas grill with a side burner works great. I happen to use turkey fryer. Regardless, you need a pot you can submerge the skull in. ** You do not want to submerge the antlers if you can help it. Let the water come to a constant simmer (Not a rolling boil as you don’t need to scorch it) and add a few squeezes of your favorite dishwashing liquid to cut the fat. Wrap the bottom 3-4” of the antler with a good layer of duct tape and do not remove until the bleaching is done. Make sure the water level stays constant adding hot tap water when needed. I simmer the head for one hour. Let cool. Pick and cut as much meat off as possible. At this point you should be able to remove the mandible with a bit more cutting and prying. I happened to mount the jaw as well so I’ll walk you through that process…I think it just looks better. Once you have the jaw removed and as much meat as you can then boil again repeat the process. By the end of the second cook you should have been able to remove almost every bit if tissue from the skull. Minute portions in small hard-to-reach areas can remain as bleaching will destroy it. The gray matter can be difficult to remove inside the skull because of the small working space. I take a long screwdriver and stick it in there and stir it around along with some soap and hot water and pull it out with whatever I can. If using the mandible for a mount the jaw may come apart if you overcook it. If this occurs you will need to glue it back together and super glue works fine.

Step four is bleaching. Hydrogen Peroxide is an oxidizer. It accomplishes several things. One, it kills bacteria, viruses and fungi, and it also bleaches. The kind you use at home is only a 3% solution. Meaning that 97% is water. Not real good at bleaching a large skull. What I recommend at this point is what is called Volume 40 hydrogen peroxide, which is used in beauty parlors for bleaching hair. This is in reality a 12% solution but has plenty of kick to do the job. NOTE* Be sure to read precautions when handling! You can obtain this product at hair care suppliers like Sally’s at around $5.00 for a 16 oz bottle. Place the head into a deep pot just deep enough to be able to submerge the entire skull. Buck heads should be stabilized to submerge just under the base of the antlers, which should still be wrapped in duct tape. Doe heads or any other head just drop the whole thing in. Remember you don’t want to bleach the antlers. However, if you do this may be corrected do get accidently get some bleaching on the antlers a bit of shoe or furniture polish or varnish can bring the color back. Rest the skull in the pot. Pour the peroxide over the skull. Then HOLD YOUR BREATH and pour the ½ cup bleach over that. ***WARNING: This will cause a chemical reaction which you should not breathe. Once the reaction is complete…about 20 seconds or so….fill the container with water to the base of the antlers. You may get the liquid a bit over the base but if you duct tape has a good seal there should be nothing to worry about. The skull should sit in the solution for12-15 hours. Be aware that this is a bleaching process to give a natural appearance to the skull. It will NOT be absolutely white like it was painted. This is just my preference. However, remember if you choose to bleach harder with more solution and soaking time you risk degradation and eventual disintegration of the skull. When the process is complete thoroughly rinse the skull and let dry. While it is drying take some super glue and put a small drop of glue and the base of each tooth and along the hair-line fractures on the top and bottom. This will strengthen the bone structure.

Step five is finishing. I happen to use cut pine that I coat with polyurethane for protection as a plaque. You can get as fancy as you want with this, and this is the most expensive portion of making your own mount. but I kept it simple. You’ll need a few more tools: Super glue, “White Gorilla Glue”, Drill, 4” x 3/16ths Lag screws, and “Non Yellowing” Flat Spray Acrylic finish.
Now that your skull is dry turn it upside down so the top of the mouth is up and flat. Place the jaw into position. Place a drop of superglue where each tooth comes in contact with another. Then at the top of the mandibular joint where it seats on the skull, lightly spray some water and apply the Gorilla Glue around the base to hold the jaw in place. Let dry for at least 2 hours. Remember, the glue expands by about 3 times as it dries so don’t over apply.
After the jaw has set take the acrylic paint and spray the skull entire skull. One or two coats are all that is needed, but it’s kind of a “To Taste” kind of thing. There is no need to spray the antlers unless you really want to. Next drill a hole in the skull at the base of the brain stem where indicated by the green circle just large enough to run the screw through.

Drill a hole in your plaque at the desired height, run the screw through to the skull and screw it into the lag placed on the inside of the skull. You may need a pair of needle nose pliers to hold it in place as this was a bit difficult, but I guarantee the skull is going nowhere when mounting it this way. Mount picture hanging wire on the back of the plaque and you are ready to enjoy your trophy!

#3045162 - 11/22/12 05:46 PM Re: EURO MOUNTS - - How To [Re: HOOK]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

confused Online
i boiled mine on the stove in the kitchen. smelled like a stew cooking. almost wanted to eat it.
a straightened out wire coat hanger makes picking the brain out easier.
i used a paint brush to apply the peroxide.leave for an hour or so and rinse off.reapply if desired whiter. no bleach therefore no dangerous chemical reaction. no waste-less mess.
i finished by spraying with krylon 1311 clear matte finish. you can't even tell it's on there.
just a different take on the process.

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

#3045206 - 11/22/12 06:46 PM Re: EURO MOUNTS - - How To [Re: stik]
Lefty
TnDeer Old Timer
6 Point

Loc: Rockvale,TN

Working on another today. Read Hook's How to several years ago and have done several since.

#3045343 - 11/22/12 09:02 PM Re: EURO MOUNTS - - How To [Re: Lefty]
double browtine
8 Point

Loc: north mid tn

Great post Hook. Ill try this on my next buck, if i squeeze the trigger on one this year. I tried my first this year on my 9 pt bow kill. It still was a little stinky after the boil so I buried it for a couple weeks. I critter or the neighbors little dog tried digging it up and chewed up the nose. Had it buried 6" deep with the horns covered by two milk crates with concrete blocks on top. Guess i should have just put it straight in some peroxide and bleach.
#3045472 - 11/23/12 12:21 AM Re: EURO MOUNTS - - How To [Re: double browtine]
Treestand Troubadour
4 Point

Loc: Carter County

Thanks for the write up, ive wanted to do one for a while now, gonna have to smack a doe and give it a try

#3047883 - 11/25/12 09:20 AM Re: EURO MOUNTS - - How To [Re: Treestand Troubadour]
Rockhound
10 Point

Loc: Lawrence Co. TN

content Online
Ttt
Isaiah 40:31.... Those who wait upon The Lord .....shall renew there strength ......

#3048389 - 11/25/12 05:07 PM Re: EURO MOUNTS - - How To [Re: Lefty]
petestock
Spike

Loc: Davidson County, TN

Simply awesome looking. I prefer the look without the jaw but man both types look good.
#3048405 - 11/25/12 05:25 PM Re: EURO MOUNTS - - How To [Re: Lefty]
Master Chief
10 Point

Loc: Henderson County

sleepy Online
 Originally Posted By: Lefty
Working on another today. Read Hook's How to several years ago and have done several since.

I love the buck on the left, dark horns look awesome!

Good post hook, maybe I'll be using this soon!

"It's not whatcha got, it's what you give." -Tesla

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."
-John Muir

#3050534 - 11/26/12 08:23 PM Re: EURO MOUNTS - - How To [Re: Master Chief]
JandSCattleCo
8 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

happy Online
Going to try it with my wildlife class at school. Game warden brought us a big doe to butcher so I went ahead and skinned the head. Now to stink up the entire school.

Apparently I do that a lot.

-Breathe Easy

#3051057 - 11/27/12 07:36 AM Re: EURO MOUNTS - - How To [Re: JandSCattleCo]
tug
Spike

Loc: wilson

When I lived in Rhode Island, I threw my heads in a lobster pot. The sea fleas cleaned them up in a few days. Every now and then, a lobster would come up with them too.
Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys, GUIDO
13383 Registered Users
Who's Online
113 registered (lung-buster, Urban_Hunter, Mossy Oak, rooketnhunter, stik, rem270, 13 invisible) and 178 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13383 Members
42 Forums
95816 Topics
1121851 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.094 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.