Page 5 of 6 « First<23456>
Topic Options
#3042930 - 11/20/12 09:46 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: BSK]
Setterman
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville, TN

Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: Setterman
I have hunted GA, KY, and here in TN so far where there should have been rut activity in all while I was in the woods and every one seemed to be behind. It is hard to say with 100% certainty that it is with only getting a snap shot view, but everything and everyone I interact with thinks it is 3-4 weeks behind for some reason. Strange dang year.

Strange. Everyone I've been talking to has been remarking on the early and extremely active rut they have experienced this year in TN and KY.

Well obviously we are speaking to different people. Big difference in the areas we are probably referring to as well.

Edited by Setterman (11/20/12 09:49 PM)

#3043035 - 11/21/12 03:31 AM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: Setterman]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

Our rut timing seems to be going as usual. They're still scraping even though the number of scrapes seems to be way down from years past by now. Small bucks are pestering does and some larger bucks are moving more than 2 weeks ago. Some years I see older, larger deer moving now and other years they seem to know it's just not time quite yet and they seem to be conserving their energy. When the time draws near it'll be like someone flipped a switch. Knowing when that time is drawing near a hunter should be in the woods waiting and watching. The heat doesn't stop it. It just seems to delay daylight sightings making it seem like a trickle rut rather than the full blown thing.

#3043217 - 11/21/12 07:20 AM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: redblood]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: redblood
Davidson County should be well passed peak breeding.

from buddies that hubt williamson and davidson they are peak now. no personal experience there, but i can tell you for sure that southern bedford, marshall and northern lincoln are just heating up

Each location is going to be a little different, but in southern Davidson County, the crazy phase of the rut is definitely over. My wife drives past the Warner Parks every day, and the crazy chasing that goes on in the neighborhoods surrounding that area was two weeks ago. We even saw some amazing chasing in my area of Bellevue, but again, that was a couple of weeks ago.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3043226 - 11/21/12 07:23 AM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: Setterman]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

I have hunted GA, KY, and here in TN so far where there should have been rut activity in all while I was in the woods and every one seemed to be behind. It is hard to say with 100% certainty that it is with only getting a snap shot view, but everything and everyone I interact with thinks it is 3-4 weeks behind for some reason. Strange dang year.

Strange. Everyone I've been talking to has been remarking on the early and extremely active rut they have experienced this year in TN and KY.

Well obviously we are speaking to different people. Big difference in the areas we are probably referring to as well.

Yup. Just look at the posts on this Forum. Some are talking about the best year in many years, with a great rut, and others are talking about how they aren't seeing anything.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3043291 - 11/21/12 07:58 AM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: BSK]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

I think it is time BSK wrote a short treatise on the rut explaining how simple it is and why it is time for hunters to forget all the previous crap that has been printed in outdoor magazines and understand just how it really works.

It is not rocket surgery.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3044228 - 11/21/12 08:05 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: BSK]
Setterman
8 Point

Yup. Just look at the posts on this Forum. Some are talking about the best year in many years, with a great rut, and others are talking about how they aren't seeing anything.

No shortage of seeing or killing with me or those who I know, just different than anything I have seen. I killed my personal best 2 weeks ago and he was feeding on acorns, he exhibited zero of the usual traits found on bucks this time of year.

#3044302 - 11/21/12 09:01 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: Setterman]
DeerSlayer
TnDeer Old Timer
8 Point

Loc: Roane County, Tennessee

I would have sworn there wasn't a buck within 5 miles of my property this year, up until the opening day of gun season. Now, they are really moving great. Haven't seen the size of bucks I saw last year, but I have seen a few eight pointers. In the last few days, there are two distinct spikes chasing does on my place.

I was totally bummed about the lack of deer, but then, like magic, they appeared. It has been good in the woods every day since the opener of Gun season. I may go early for a couple hours in the morning to see what is moving around. Oh, I hunt in Roane County.

pkv
Matthew 25:31-46
Are you a Sheep or a Goat?

#3044304 - 11/21/12 09:02 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: Setterman]
Anonymous TnDeer Old Timer
Unregistered

I am in southern williamson county and the good part of the rut is over. I have a few scrapes being worked by young bucks but the older ones are nocturnal with feeding patterns. BSK is dead on when he says the rut happened early and hard. I think too many people are getting their hopes up about the rut. For most parts of the state it is gone. The southern middle states should be winding down in the next few days. Weather didn't help them this week.

The best chance now is to catch them feeding in the late season.

#3044312 - 11/21/12 09:06 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: Setterman]
Anonymous TnDeer Old Timer
Unregistered

No shortage of seeing or killing with me or those who I know, just different than anything I have seen. I killed my personal best 2 weeks ago and he was feeding on acorns, he exhibited zero of the usual traits found on bucks this time of year.
2 weeks isn't relative to rutting activity. Most of the time the window of opportunity is only a matter of days. Sounds like you killed one in his regular routine, not a rutting pattern.

#3044404 - 11/21/12 10:10 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: ]
Setterman
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Dawson

2 weeks isn't relative to rutting activity. Most of the time the window of opportunity is only a matter of days. Sounds like you killed one in his regular routine, not a rutting pattern.

Oh boy, now I know why I just read more than post anymore. I don't have the temperament to interact with the masses.

You must think you are speaking to someone who is in their first or second year chasing these things. Just a side note, but the buck scored just north of 165" gross/green and is the 4th deer over 130" I have taken this year alone. In other words, not my first time in the woods, and most certainly not the first time targeting or dealing with mature bucks.

Enjoy the rest of your season, time for me to slink on back off into the woods and let you boys enjoy the interwebz.

Page 5 of 6 « First<23456>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
cw308, TNDeerHunter270, rmyers@atpro1, ojf, Muwasi
13551 Registered Users
Who's Online
103 registered (rabbit hunter, WGK, htnseymour, donkey5150, Bulldog25, griz01, 8 invisible) and 185 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13551 Members
42 Forums
99357 Topics
1168789 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.104 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.