scn
16 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

Originally Posted By: Urban_Hunter
 Originally Posted By: scn
 Originally Posted By: utfan1
223 22-250

I knew I would see this. Please don't let him shoot anything smaller than a 243 even if it IS legal.

I second the opinions for wait til he can shoulder a rifle. Even if you have to cut the stock. I don't see anything good coming from letting him shoot from his armpit.

For decades, the poaching gun of choice was a .22 magnum because it was legal for small game and coon hunting. Countless deer were illegally killed with it. I would think that the .223 or 22-250 would more than match up with that weapon.

I would rather see a young person shoot a caliber that is light on recoil that he/she can shoot well than a heavier caliber that is more socially acceptable.

I would rather see a young person shoot a deer and ethically kill it vs. shoot at it and knock a big patch of fur off the deer barely breaking the skin. I have personally witnessed TWO different hunters make near perfect shots, one of them with a .243 and one with a .223 AR that both blew hair everywhere but to no avail on killing the deer. One of them didn't even have a single drop of blood and the deer went right back to grazing.

I would feel awful putting a varmint gun in the hands of a 6 year old and watching him do everything right but failing to succeed because I gave him a p-shooter instead of a real gun. I will NOT be letting my daughter hunt with a 22 cal, if she can't shoot a 243 she can wait another year. I don't care how many deer have been LUCKILY killed with a 22.

I'll continue to take the other side. I'd rather see a kid shoot a deer behind the shoulder with a well constructed .223 round than gut shoot one trying to handle the recoil of a gun that causes them to jerk the trigger.

I have seen the pictures of a bunch of deer on here that have been cleanly killed by folks on here with a .223 since they became legal. LUCK had little or nothing to do with it. Rather, it is knowing your weapon and its limitations and taking ethical shots.

#3043920 - 11/21/12 04:44 PM Re: 6yr old hunting [Re: ]
Hangnail
12 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

You wouldn't let him drive a car when he couldn't reach the brake pedal, would ya? I know a .270 doesn't kick even a light adult much, but a 6 year old?
#3044014 - 11/21/12 06:04 PM Re: 6yr old hunting [Re: Hangnail]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

content Online
I won't get into the caliber debate but I wish you would not get antsy. Remember, it is his hunt, let him call the shots. If he does not feel like going, let that be fine with you. And if he misses, let that be fine, too. Remember we all miss, even the idiots on TV.

One of the worst things that can happen for a young kid is for a parent to put too much emphasis on going hunting and killing something. Real good way to turn one the other way completely. Heck, he is only six. Plenty of time ahead.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3044023 - 11/21/12 06:10 PM Re: 6yr old hunting [Re: scn]
8 POINTS OR BETTER
10 Point

Loc: Hardin, Co.

Originally Posted By: utfan1
223 22-250

I knew I would see this. Please don't let him shoot anything smaller than a 243 even if it IS legal.

I second the opinions for wait til he can shoulder a rifle. Even if you have to cut the stock. I don't see anything good coming from letting him shoot from his armpit.

For decades, the poaching gun of choice was a .22 magnum because it was legal for small game and coon hunting. Countless deer were illegally killed with it. I would think that the .223 or 22-250 would more than match up with that weapon.

I would rather see a young person shoot a caliber that is light on recoil that he/she can shoot well than a heavier caliber that is more socially acceptable.

I would rather see a young person shoot a deer and ethically kill it vs. shoot at it and knock a big patch of fur off the deer barely breaking the skin. I have personally witnessed TWO different hunters make near perfect shots, one of them with a .243 and one with a .223 AR that both blew hair everywhere but to no avail on killing the deer. One of them didn't even have a single drop of blood and the deer went right back to grazing.

I would feel awful putting a varmint gun in the hands of a 6 year old and watching him do everything right but failing to succeed because I gave him a p-shooter instead of a real gun. I will NOT be letting my daughter hunt with a 22 cal, if she can't shoot a 243 she can wait another year. I don't care how many deer have been LUCKILY killed with a 22.

I'll continue to take the other side. I'd rather see a kid shoot a deer behind the shoulder with a well constructed .223 round than gut shoot one trying to handle the recoil of a gun that causes them to jerk the trigger.

I have seen the pictures of a bunch of deer on here that have been cleanly killed by folks on here with a .223 since they became legal. LUCK had little or nothing to do with it. Rather, it is knowing your weapon and its limitations and taking ethical shots.

x2

#3044024 - 11/21/12 06:10 PM Re: 6yr old hunting [Re: lung-buster]
Truedouble
4 Point

Loc: Jackson Co., Al

Originally Posted By: lung-buster
My boy is fixin to be 6. I'm getting his gun worked on and I believe he could get it done with my 270. He can have the rifle proped on the ground blind window for a rest, and aim by himself but he will have the stock under his armpit. I could hold the butt with my hand to keep the recoil off him. Any suggestions or thoughts? I can take pros and cons.

haven't read all the responses, but I have a 6 year old too and would never let him shoot a 270. I'd be afraid it would knock the crap out of him plus I'd have to pretty much do everything for him except aim and pull the trigger. Buy your son a 243 or 7mm-08 youth model and let your son learn to shoot a gun properly. My son killed his first deer 2 weeks ago. H&R single shot 7mm-08 youth gun.

#3044095 - 11/21/12 06:53 PM Re: 6yr old hunting [Re: bowriter]
mntbuck
Spike

Loc: tn, carter

My son is 6 but Im not letting him hunt until he can handle a weapon by himself. Ive heard of several 6 year olds shooting deer.I guess i still believe in learning to squirrel hunt first. Right now he carries his bb gun and we just work on being safe.
#3044117 - 11/21/12 07:02 PM Re: 6yr old hunting [Re: bowriter]
Public land rat
Spike

Loc: Tn

Got my nephew his 1st deer when he was 6. work on the details. i just held the gun barrel so it wouldnt fly back and bite em. he shot off a rest in a blind. oh yeah he shot a remington 700 in .270. we had been practicing with a .22. he smacked the deer at 35 yards. hes 10 and has killed several since. still talks about that hunt. You can do it man if yall prepare properly. best of luck
#3044126 - 11/21/12 07:06 PM Re: 6yr old hunting [Re: Public land rat]
8 POINTS OR BETTER
10 Point

Loc: Hardin, Co.

Get a gun that fits, has low recoil, practice with it, and keep the shot close. A red dot scope and close shots help at that age.

#3044136 - 11/21/12 07:09 PM Re: 6yr old hunting [Re: mntbuck]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Loc: Benton Co.

Squirrels,and rabbits then deer is my opinon.I know parnets are getting thier young ones started earlier and earlier at a young age.I guess I'm a little old fashioned.I was started on small game with a adult. When they thought I was ready I would be given 3 shells turned loose and expected to account for the shells.By the time I was old enough to shoot a Big Gun I sat on the stand by myself for my 1st deer.A 243 that fits him and he can shoot on his own proficently would be the best choice. IMO
The worst thing that can happen is if the 270 kicks to hard for him and he starts flinching when he pulls the trigger. Good Luck to him .Hope ya'll have many years of hunts together.
Proverbs 3:27 Whenever you possibly can, do good to those who need it

#3044466 - 11/22/12 04:27 AM Re: 6yr old hunting [Re: WestTn Huntin'man]
muskyhunter
4 Point

Loc: fentress

we had 14 kids in camp on the youth hunt and had 14 kills with .223 to 22-250. i have personally killed over 200 wild hogs with a .223
Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
OfficerBuck, rapalabuck, medic2fpc, MachDR, pop
13308 Registered Users
Who's Online
107 registered (Southern Sportsman, blueheron, Unicam, Deer Assassin, a baggett, 762hunter, 16 invisible) and 174 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13308 Members
42 Forums
94056 Topics
1098774 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.112 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.