Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#3043421 - 11/21/12 09:41 AM Re: good bye Twinkie. thanks unions [Re: ncslickslayer]
Pic IN the Casa
14 Point

Loc: TN

18,000 people paid dues to a bunch of fat cat union leaders and all it got them was fired.

#3043423 - 11/21/12 09:43 AM Re: good bye Twinkie. thanks unions [Re: Pic IN the Casa]
Still-n-Quiet
10 Point

Loc: San Antonio, TX

Originally Posted By: Pic IN the Casa
18,000 people paid dues to a bunch of fat cat union leaders and all it got them was fired.

Good. Call that another learning opportunity.

Searching for the elusive "Moderate" liberal and "Moderate" Muslim. Maybe they are hiding together...

Μολων λαβε

#3043426 - 11/21/12 09:45 AM Re: good bye Twinkie. thanks unions [Re: ncslickslayer]
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

Originally Posted By: ncslickslayer
Please read this in its entirety before responding. It obviously has an anti-Repub slant, but with the details included, after reading, is anyone still willing to lay total blame on the Union ?

http://www.politicususa.com/romney-vulture-capitalist-style-management-killed-hostess-unions.html

Two sides to every coin.

Yes, the union still deserves total blame for Hostess shutting down last week. A nonsensical, anti-business, anti-profit article on a website that brands itself as "Real Liberal Politics" does not change that. The Teamsters looked at Hostess's financials in detail and then told the bakery's union that the compnay's financial troubles were real. A few extra hundred thousand dollars in bonuses going to some Hostess executives in recent years may be controversial and a convenient excuse for anti-corporate and anti-capitalist leftists, but Hostess's debt problems are in the many millions of dollars because of unsustainable union contracts, a bad economy, and intense competition. You can't change your competition and the economy, but you can try to change the union contracts that have you sending more money out the door than you are bringing in with sales of your products.

That article is in denial of the fact that Hostess was simply losing too much money and needed to right size it's cost structure or die. In the end the unions were presented with 2 simple options: go back to work and make products that could be sold to bring in cash to keep the company running or stay on strike so the company has nothing to sell to pay the bills. They chose the later....

#3043441 - 11/21/12 09:56 AM Re: good bye Twinkie. thanks unions [Re: Vermin93]
ncslickslayer
4 Point

Loc: raleigh,nc

Vermin93,

Nicely stated, intelligent response. Thanks.

#3043463 - 11/21/12 10:15 AM Re: good bye Twinkie. thanks unions [Re: Vermin93]
BlountArrow
8 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

Originally Posted By: Vermin93
...You can't change your competition and the economy, but you can try to change the union contracts that have you sending more money out the door than you are bringing in with sales of your products.

That article is in denial of the fact that Hostess was simply losing too much money and needed to right size it's cost structure or die...

So, let me ask because I don't know. Was the senior management/executive staff/supervision/etc willing to take cut backs themselves or did they just want to cut back the pay/incentives/benefits of the "union man"? Sometimes there really can be two sides to the story which is why I ask and you seem to be pretty knowledgeable about the whole ordeal.
Thanks.

#3043496 - 11/21/12 10:42 AM Re: good bye Twinkie. thanks unions [Re: ncslickslayer]
Wildcat
Non-Typical

Loc: Western Ky.

As I said, its obviously slanted. I'm not talking Romney, Bain, or any of that. Im simply asking do you think the Union is solely to blame ? Do you not believe either

Hostess’s failure was compounded by having six CEO’s in 8 years who had no experience in the bread or cake baking industry, and despite their financial woes, the company’s CEO got a 300% salary increase from $750,000 to $2,250,000, and other top executives received raises worth hundreds-of-thousands of dollars

or

Hostess workers previously made numerous concessions to keep the company afloat, but they were not enough for the company’s management so they stopped making contractually-obligated contributions to employee’s pensions to save money. The employees stayed on the job until management offered a new contract cutting wages and benefits an extra 27 – 32 percent that prompted employees to strike and thus become scapegoats for Hostess’s demise.

I guess my only point is it's not just as simple as "The Union caused it!!!!!!!"

Just my opinion, everyone has their own.

LOL!!!!

Do you beleive ANYTHING in that article?? With that much slant you know as well as all the rest of us that nothing in that article is true.

Yes is IS as simple as the UNION CAUSED IT.

Ever the TEAMSTERS UNION blames the other union for causing it. You must be so unioon blind that you can't ever see when another union blames another union.

#3043517 - 11/21/12 10:51 AM Re: good bye Twinkie. thanks unions [Re: Wildcat]
ncslickslayer
4 Point

Loc: raleigh,nc

Because the article is OBVIOUSLY slanted which I have now said three times, it means none of its contents are accurate ? I'm not Union blind. Never been a part of one, know very little about them. I also know blanket statements got that term for a reason.
#3043533 - 11/21/12 10:59 AM Re: good bye Twinkie. thanks unions [Re: Wildcat]
BlountArrow
8 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

If this is true (and I'm sure it isn't 100% true):

...Hostess’s failure was compounded by having six CEO’s in 8 years who had no experience in the bread or cake baking industry, and despite their financial woes, the company’s CEO got a 300% salary increase from $750,000 to $2,250,000, and other top executives received raises worth hundreds-of-thousands of dollars...Hostess workers previously made numerous concessions to keep the company afloat, but they were not enough for the company’s management so they stopped making contractually-obligated contributions to employee’s pensions to save money. The employees stayed on the job until management offered a new contract cutting wages and benefits an extra 27 – 32 percent that prompted employees to strike and thus become scapegoats for Hostess’s demise....

then you absolutely cannot put sole blame on a Union. With all due respect, even the most anti-union people out there have to at least factor that in. I don't hate the rich, don't hate successful people, don't think they are one ounce better/worse than me but when a company is struggling EVERYONE should feel the heart burn not just those that happen to be lower on the todem pole. That's just my opinion when it comes to any company.

#3043541 - 11/21/12 11:05 AM Re: good bye Twinkie. thanks unions [Re: ncslickslayer]
Wildcat
Non-Typical

Loc: Western Ky.

Because the article is OBVIOUSLY slanted which I have now said three times, it means none of its contents are accurate ? I'm not Union blind. Never been a part of one, know very little about them. I also know blanket statements got that term for a reason.

We all know you've said it three times yet you still believe any of it.

Left or right it doesn't mater but when any article is that slated it's there for a reason, to make their followers fall in line to what ever they say.

If I posted an article that was as far right slated as the one you posted would you really believe any of it?? Of course not. That is the very reason I do my OWN RESEARCH and do not depend on far right sources. I might read somethiong in a far right web site but I will then look it up myself.

Here another example of what I'm talking about. It was not too long ago that someone else on another hunting web site I'm on posted from that SAME WEB SITE your article is from about how George Bush and Dick Cheney ploted and set up the 9/11 attacks in detal. Oh the far left supporters ate it all up with gee and passed it on as Gods truth.

#3043550 - 11/21/12 11:11 AM Re: good bye Twinkie. thanks unions [Re: BlountArrow]
BMan
16 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Originally Posted By: BlountArrow
 Originally Posted By: Vermin93
...You can't change your competition and the economy, but you can try to change the union contracts that have you sending more money out the door than you are bringing in with sales of your products.

That article is in denial of the fact that Hostess was simply losing too much money and needed to right size it's cost structure or die...

So, let me ask because I don't know. Was the senior management/executive staff/supervision/etc willing to take cut backs themselves or did they just want to cut back the pay/incentives/benefits of the "union man"? Sometimes there really can be two sides to the story which is why I ask and you seem to be pretty knowledgeable about the whole ordeal.
Thanks.

At the beginning of this year, senior management agreed to a salary of $1 each per year, until the company was profitable again.

For those jumping on the "CEO got a $1.5M pay raise, that's why the company died!" bandwagon, note that the total payroll with benefits included is well over $1BILLION. The CEO's raise was roughly $81 per employee, which would have made virtually no difference.

The article bemoans Hostess closing plants that were unprofitable or no longer needed. That's called BUSINESS and MANAGEMENT, and is how companies become long-term concerns. The author obviously has neither experience, nor knowledge, of how to run a business.

Page 3 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  Crappie Luck, Tennessee Todd, RUGER, Unicam, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Bobby G, Kimber45 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85, Deadeye14, woodie
13110 Registered Users
Who's Online
15 registered (Daniel n, Bowdacious, hunter drew, Dale3, paincave_2000, rabbit hunter, 2 invisible) and 43 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13110 Members
42 Forums
89105 Topics
1042146 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.206 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.