Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3042677 - 11/20/12 07:16 PM Chickens have come home to roost
Camp David
12 Point

Loc: TN

Well, maybe the turkeys. This is sad, really sad, but Oblameyou and his policies have nothing to do with it \:\(

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/washing...han-ever-before

The Food Stamp Challenge, which challenges higher-income families to live as if they are on food stamps, estimates that a person on food stamps has a budget of about $1.25 per meal. In other words, a family on food stamps must buy an entire meal per person for less than the cost of an average cup of coffee.

Usage of food stamps among low and no-income families has spiked since the collapse of the U.S. financial system four years ago. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, average participation in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or food stamp program, has increased 70 percent since 2007. And economists have warned that usage of food stamps won't go down until unemployment improves.

This Thanksgiving, 42.2 million Americans will be on food stamps, according to the Economic Policy Institute. This is roughly the size of the populations of California and Connecticut combined.

Not surprisingly, feeding millions of Americans isn't cheap. The cost of the SNAP program last year reached $72 billion, the highest to date, according to the Congressional Budget Office.

Those costs are a source of major contention in Congress, which stalled on a bundle of legislation known as the farm bill this summer because it could not agree how much money should be spent on food stamps. The farm bill, which directs the nation's food policy, devotes about 80 percent of its budget to the food stamp program.

#3042702 - 11/20/12 07:40 PM Re: Chickens have come home to roost [Re: Camp David]
Wildcat
Non-Typical

Loc: Western Ky.

Mid while the USDA is spending millions in TV ads about the Food Stamp Program in MEXICO CITY, MEXICO!!!!

#3042766 - 11/20/12 08:11 PM Re: Chickens have come home to roost [Re: Wildcat]
de novo
10 Point

Loc: Middle TN

According to talk radio this morning, California is 1/8 of the US population but accounts for 1/3 of welfare recipients.

“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.”

#3042781 - 11/20/12 08:18 PM Re: Chickens have come home to roost [Re: de novo]
FLTENNHUNTER1
16 Point

Loc: Tampa FL

Reap what you sow.

17.9 Trillion http://www.usdebtclock.org/

#3042862 - 11/20/12 09:08 PM Re: Chickens have come home to roost [Re: Camp David]
Hangnail
12 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

I wonder if they're taking into consideration the people that have two buggies at the grocery store, one for the food stamp stuff like steaks, shrimp,etc., and the other for beer, smokes and Little Debbies.
#3042996 - 11/20/12 11:27 PM Re: Chickens have come home to roost [Re: Camp David]
Locksley
16 Point

Loc: Antioch TN

Originally Posted By: Camp David
Well, maybe the turkeys. This is sad, really sad, but Oblameyou and his policies have nothing to do with it \:\(

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/washing...han-ever-before

The Food Stamp Challenge, which challenges higher-income families to live as if they are on food stamps, estimates that a person on food stamps has a budget of about $1.25 per meal. In other words, a family on food stamps must buy an entire meal per person for less than the cost of an average cup of coffee.

Usage of food stamps among low and no-income families has spiked since the collapse of the U.S. financial system four years ago. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, average participation in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or food stamp program, has increased 70 percent since 2007. And economists have warned that usage of food stamps won't go down until unemployment improves.

This Thanksgiving, 42.2 million Americans will be on food stamps, according to the Economic Policy Institute. This is roughly the size of the populations of California and Connecticut combined.

Not surprisingly, feeding millions of Americans isn't cheap. The cost of the SNAP program last year reached $72 billion, the highest to date, according to the Congressional Budget Office.

Those costs are a source of major contention in Congress, which stalled on a bundle of legislation known as the farm bill this summer because it could not agree how much money should be spent on food stamps. The farm bill, which directs the nation's food policy, devotes about 80 percent of its budget to the food stamp program.

n the year 1942, the middle of WW2, the US population was estimated at 133,920,000 residents.

http://www.chacha.com/question/what-was-the-american-population-during-ww2

In 1880 we had 50,189,209 people living here so we have almost as many people on Food Stamps and maybe unemployed as lived here in 1889. THINK ABOUT THAT .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographic_history_of_the_United_States

#3043208 - 11/21/12 07:15 AM Re: Chickens have come home to roost [Re: Locksley]
fishboy1
16 Point

Loc: Warren Co

A meal for $1.25 per person?
I don't believe it for an instant.

I personally know several people who are on disability and food stamps. They are ALL as big as a house. You couldn't get that fat on $1.25 of pure sugar 3x per day.

The math is hinky on this article.

#3043230 - 11/21/12 07:26 AM Re: Chickens have come home to roost [Re: fishboy1]
iowavf
10 Point

Loc: southwest iowa

$1.25? I've been behind a few at the store and if they figure a $1,25 per meal, I'm spending about .60 cents per meal!
#3043278 - 11/21/12 07:49 AM Re: Chickens have come home to roost [Re: iowavf]
preds1
12 Point

Loc: Sumner County

In the John Waters-esque sector of northwest Baltimore — equal parts kitschy, sketchy, artsy and weird — Gerry Mak and Sarah Magida sauntered through a small ethnic market stocked with Japanese eggplant, mint chutney and fresh turmeric. After gathering ingredients for that evening’s dinner, they walked to the cash register and awaited their moments of truth.

“I have $80 bucks left!” Magida said. “I’m so happy!”

“I have $12,” Mak said with a frown.

The two friends weren’t tabulating the cash in their wallets but what remained of the monthly allotment on their Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program debit cards, the official new term for what are still known colloquially as food stamps.

Magida, a 30-year-old art school graduate, had been installing museum exhibits for a living until the recession caused arts funding — and her usual gigs — to dry up. She applied for food stamps last summer, and since then she’s used her $150 in monthly benefits for things like fresh produce, raw honey and fresh-squeezed juices from markets near her house in the neighborhood of Hampden, and soy meat alternatives and gourmet ice cream from a Whole Foods a few miles away.

“I’m eating better than I ever have before,” she told me. “Even with food stamps, it’s not like I’m living large, but it helps.”

Mak, 31, grew up in Westchester, graduated from the University of Chicago and toiled in publishing in New York during his 20s before moving to Baltimore last year with a meager part-time blogging job and prospects for little else. About half of his friends in Baltimore have been getting food stamps since the economy toppled, so he decided to give it a try; to his delight, he qualified for $200 a month.

“I’m sort of a foodie, and I’m not going to do the ‘living off ramen’ thing,” he said, fondly remembering a recent meal he’d prepared of roasted rabbit with butter, tarragon and sweet potatoes. “I used to think that you could only get processed food and government cheese on food stamps, but it’s great that you can get anything.”

http://www.salon.com/2010/03/16/hipsters_food_stamps_pinched/

#3043287 - 11/21/12 07:56 AM Re: Chickens have come home to roost [Re: iowavf]
Crappie Luck Moderator
Non-Typical

Loc: Smith Co.

This is how they come up with $1.25.

Take $425 per month. Divide it by 4 people in a home.
Divide that by 30 days per month and then divide that by 3 meals per day.

You are left with $1.18.

Now. This SHOULD be a lesson in how cheap cooking at home can be. A family of four can live on $400 per month. We don't spend that in our family.

But that is not their angle. They want us believe they are suffering and barely getting by and should get more.

If you live on McDonalds, $400 doesn't go very far.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Crappie Luck, Tennessee Todd, RUGER, Unicam, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Bobby G, Kimber45 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys, GUIDO
13383 Registered Users
Who's Online
126 registered (Jacoprint, drrxnupe, Rockhound, Nhill, Tennessee Lead, TboneD, 15 invisible) and 197 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13383 Members
42 Forums
95816 Topics
1121839 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.048 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.