Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3042051 - 11/20/12 11:47 AM BSK - Deer & Weather -
ferg
Cancer Free
16 Point

Loc: At the TNDeer shirt factory %^...

Bryan -

Is there any data to support the putting on of fat as it may correlate to the winter ahead ?

I know in Mi the deer really pack it on, in anticipation of short food supplies -

I wouldn't think that would be the case this far south, but the doe I took Saturday morning had FAT after FAT here is just a small section from the bottom of the back strap area:

When I say this I thought, I wonder what this girl knows that we don't about what's coming this winter.......

The bottom right side of the picture is 3/4" to an inch thick...

ferg....

USCG(Ret)
Semper Par !

#3042067 - 11/20/12 12:09 PM Re: BSK - Deer & Weather - [Re: ferg]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

It correlates directly to lots of mast more than the weather. Think of it this way.No how bad the winter is going get, deer can't get fat without a food source. The last two I killed were like that. It makes a great dressing for your boots. Just take a chunk of it and rub the outside of leather boots.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3042157 - 11/20/12 01:09 PM Re: BSK - Deer & Weather - [Re: bowriter]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

What Bowriter said.

Fat deposition in fall is manditory in deer, in that their bodies are genetically driven to do so. And they will often layer on fat in fall even at the expense of other bodily needs. That is why acorns are such a critical food source for "big woods" deer. Acorns are high in fat, and may be the only high-quality food source available to big woods deer at that time of year.

Fat deposition, or actually the lack of it, is an excellent indicator of herd health. having thick fat deposits pre-rut doesn't mean much, as deer are forced to do so genetically. But NOT having fat deposits pre-rut is the tell-tale sign of a deer herd in trouble, especially if acorn production was good that year. But even a lack of fat deposits pre-rut in a bad acorn year tells you those deer are going to struggle during the winter, and will not maximize their growth the following spring, as most of the spring food resources they consume will be used to replace lost resources during the previous winter instead of going to further body and antler growth.

A lack of fat deposits on older bucks post-rut is fairly normal. The rut is incredibly stressful on older bucks, and they can literally lose 30% of their entire body weight (including all of their fat reserves) during the rut month. In my personal opinion, that is why big woods bucks have such limited life-spans. The burn away all of their fat reserves plus some muscle during the rut, and in a poor acorn year (or at least a poor red oak acorn year), they have nothing to rebuild those fat reserves from, hence experience very high mortality rates at advanced maturity age (6 1/2+).

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3042245 - 11/20/12 01:56 PM Re: BSK - Deer & Weather - [Re: BSK]
ferg
Cancer Free
16 Point

Loc: At the TNDeer shirt factory %^...

Thanks Bryan - good info - as usual \:\)

USCG(Ret)
Semper Par !

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
JPG3, red arrow, ICUFLY, east_tn_gk, cruiser sailor
13210 Registered Users
Who's Online
113 registered (BuckDropper, TennesseeWJ, Mr.Bro, Bo Diddley, old guy, BigGameGuy, 18 invisible) and 142 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13210 Members
42 Forums
91613 Topics
1070751 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.092 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.