Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 6 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3041997 - 11/20/12 11:04 AM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: BSK]
log72
Spike

Loc: Milan, TN

Typically how long will the first cruising/seeking period last until lockdown?
#3042005 - 11/20/12 11:08 AM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: log72]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: log72
Typically how long will the first cruising/seeking period last until lockdown?

10 days to two weeks.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3042043 - 11/20/12 11:42 AM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: BSK]
log72
Spike

At that point bucks focus more on food sources? Then in another 3-4 wks start the rut phase over again? Is that correct?
#3042144 - 11/20/12 12:58 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: log72]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: log72
At that point bucks focus more on food sources? Then in another 3-4 wks start the rut phase over again? Is that correct?

No, during the cruising/seeking phase bucks are searching for the first receptive does. Actual breeding generally explodes very quickly from few does being bred to more than 50% of does being bred in the two weeks of peak breeding. So you have the seeking/cruising phase as bucks are worked up about the rut but does aren't in heat yet, and bucks are on their feet constantly moving from doe group to doe group looking for that first receptive doe. Then breeding explodes into peak breeding for about two weeks, and hunters experience "lockdown," when most older bucks are constantly with receptive does (although some brief seeking will always be experienced during peak breeding as bucks leave one doe going out of estrus and seek their next doe). Right after peak breeding, hunters often see maximized chasing, as 25-40% of does are bred during the following two weeks. Although a fair number of does are still being bred, competition between bucks is higher than during peak breeding, hence more chasing/competing is required to gain access to receptive does. In fact, many hunters think this phase is the "peak of the rut" because of all the chasing, but peak breeding has actually already occured. Following that peak chasing phase, as the rut winds down, a second but much weaker phase of seeking/cruising again occurs as bucks seek the last receptive does before the rut is over. After that, you have post-rut conditions, where bucks move little after being physically run down during the rut, and most of that movement involves feeding to rebuild lost body resources during the rut.

In a perfect situation you have something like this:

Two weeks: cruising/seeking
Two weeks: peak breeding and lockdown
Two weeks: peak visible chasing
One week: secondary cruising/chasing
Rest of the season: post-rut

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3042149 - 11/20/12 01:03 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: log72]
Bullfrog
6 Point

Loc: Ky Lake

I think we are having more of a trickle rut in my area(Henry Co). Scrapes will go dead 2 or 3 days and then a new one will show up within 10 yards of the last one that still hasn't been checked....or maybe they are all using only the new one. One day they are chasing, another day they pay no attention, and another day they are locked down. Just during the last week I have been seeing the signpost rubs being hit. Trying not to worry about it and just hunt, but it's a little baffling.
#3042169 - 11/20/12 01:15 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: Bullfrog]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Bullfrog
I think we are having more of a trickle rut in my area(Henry Co). Scrapes will go dead 2 or 3 days and then a new one will show up within 10 yards of the last one that still hasn't been checked....or maybe they are all using only the new one. One day they are chasing, another day they pay no attention, and another day they are locked down. Just during the last week I have been seeing the signpost rubs being hit. Trying not to worry about it and just hunt, but it's a little baffling.

Just remember that through all these phases, not all bucks are doing the same thing every day. What you need to look for is what the majority of older bucks are doing. Ignore the behavior of yearling bucks. They are too young and inexperienced to know how to act! ;\) Honestly, yearling bucks will chase does for 4 straight months, with little benefit to themselves. Older bucks have learned to minimize their physical efforts by only chasing when there is some benefit to be acheived.

#3042216 - 11/20/12 01:36 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: Tomahawk]
southernhunter
8 Point

Loc: alabama

so far this is the worst year i have had in lincoln county on my farm. very few rubs or scapes. dad.bro.nephew and myself just spent 4 hard days of hunting . saw no chasing and only two bucks ,spike and 5 point . maybe its just my place but it really sucks and as of yet not one trail cam pic of a decent buck either !
#3042232 - 11/20/12 01:46 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: BSK]
Bullfrog
6 Point

Loc: Ky Lake

Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: Bullfrog

Just remember that through all these phases, not all bucks are doing the same thing every day. What you need to look for is what the majority of older bucks are doing. Ignore the behavior of yearling bucks. They are too young and inexperienced to know how to act! ;\) Honestly, yearling bucks will chase does for 4 straight months, with little benefit to themselves. Older bucks have learned to minimize their physical efforts by only chasing when there is some benefit to be acheived.

Right...Old Bull/Young Bull philosophy..lol

#3042276 - 11/20/12 02:23 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: Bullfrog]
log72
Spike

Well BSK you breathe new hope into my hunting outlook! Don't reckon I was aware of that 2 wk peak visible chasing period.
#3042277 - 11/20/12 02:24 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: Bullfrog]
POSTED
Spike

Loc: Wayne Co. TN

I Hunt in Wayne county also BHC and have been wondering the same thing about our farms.. I have some spots that we have been hunting for years that are usually tore up with scrapes and rubs, by this time of year but NOT this year.I hope it is just all happening a little late this time.

If I had a safe and was gonna put something in it it would be safety... T.K. and Mike

Page 3 of 6 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
tnduckhunter, draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85, Deadeye14
13111 Registered Users
Who's Online
122 registered (bigasports, biglefty20, Rebel, striperhunter90, gatodoc, FLTENNHUNTER1, 17 invisible) and 147 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13111 Members
42 Forums
89224 Topics
1043415 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.202 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.