Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#3041906 - 11/20/12 10:18 AM BSK/others advice on discouraged management?
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

Long read, sorry.
We have own a small piece of property ,68 acres, and my friend owns/leases about 120 more, all in the same block of woods. We have had this for going on five years. We do not have time or really the places to put up summer time nutritional food plots because we have cows on it too. Basically all we do, which may not be enough, is let young little deer walk and try to shoot as many or a few more does as bucks. We have shot a few young bucks that probably should have passed but not so many that we should have problems like we do.
Out of these few years, I have killed one mature 8 pt. which was out first year, and we found a dead ten point last winter, do not know what killed him and never seen him that we know of.
Since this is the fifth year, most would think that we should finally start seeing good bucks. We haven't though. Just same ole small yearlings and 2.5 year olds that have decent 6 or eight point racks.
I haven't killed a buck in almost three years. Yall think we should continue or just shoot what we think the land gives us which is like 80-90 inch 2.5 year old eights?
I know it isn't alot of land, and that is probably our main problem. Neighbors shooting the deer that we pass. Nothing we can do about that.
Sorry for the long read, but any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

and BTW, I have killed two nice 8s, one 3.5 plus the first year we hunted, measured about 115, and another 2.5 the second year we hunted measure probably 100 to 110. The dead ten point we found was probably 130-140, great deer. Friend killed two 2.5s the second year but that is it, my brother and friend killed two probably 3.5s the second year. Sorry if confusing.
I could be wishing for too much though. I just thought this would be the year we really start seeing them.

Edited by woodsman87 (11/20/12 10:25 AM)

#3041982 - 11/20/12 10:53 AM Re: BSK/others advice on discouraged management? [Re: woodsman87]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

I'm not sure I got the count right, but three 3 1/2s and three 2 1/2s harvested from 68 and 120-acre nearby (but not adjacent?) properties sounds pretty good. With that amount of land, and no ability to greatly modify the habitat to make it more attractive, producing harvestable numbers of 2 1/2 year-old bucks and the occassional 3 1/2 year-old buck is, in most circumstances, the best you can hope for.

Having the ability to greatly alter the habitat and having more contiguous land would be required to expect more.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3041993 - 11/20/12 11:01 AM Re: BSK/others advice on discouraged management? [Re: BSK]
woodsman87
8 Point

Yes the land does connect to each other. And actually after typing it out I got to thinking to myself you know this aint been so bad to kill a few nice deer.
I may just start bow hunting it so I can be happy with taking 2.5 year old nice six and eight points.
I have just been frustrated this year and last year and the year before not seeing anything that I wanted to shoot.
Now that I have your opinion on it I feel much better about what I will do from here on.
Thanks!

#3041998 - 11/20/12 11:05 AM Re: BSK/others advice on discouraged management? [Re: woodsman87]
BSK
Non-Typical

And one other thought, what hunters see/kill, and what is really out there, are often two VERY different things. And that's what trail-cameras are for, to find out what is really out there. Most often, hunters/managers are shocked by what really exist.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3042008 - 11/20/12 11:09 AM Re: BSK/others advice on discouraged management? [Re: BSK]
woodsman87
8 Point

My friend has several trail cams, occasionally gets a good deer on one yearly, of course at night. And by good deer I mean probably 2.5 to 3.5 100-120 class 8pt. I have had only one trail cam on out place since we bought it, just don't feel like buying any more cameras. I put it in front of a mineral lick every summer and have never gotten a deer on it that I would shoot. Only does, fawns, and little 1.5 year old bucks.
#3042133 - 11/20/12 12:49 PM Re: BSK/others advice on discouraged management? [Re: woodsman87]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: woodsman87
I have had only one trail cam on out place since we bought it, just don't feel like buying any more cameras. I put it in front of a mineral lick every summer and have never gotten a deer on it that I would shoot. Only does, fawns, and little 1.5 year old bucks.

One comment of caution about trail-camera use in summer--that only tells you what is there in the summer. Bucks move around quite a bit within their annual range. During some portions of the year, they may only use one small section of their annual range. They may then shift to a completely different portion of their range in fall, and then again shift to another completely different part of their range for the rut. Some bucks literally have a portion of their range they only use during the rut.

My own personal property is 500 acres arranged in a rectangle one mile north-south by three quarters of a mile east-west. Only about a third of the bucks I will have to hunt during October through December actually use the property during the summer (and are picked up by trail-cameras over salt or bait in summer). Two-thirds of the bucks that will use the property October through December won't shift onto the property until after summer bachelor groups break up in early September. In fact, a full third of the bucks I have to hunt only use my property during the rut. They show up in late October or early November, stay during November, and then vanish in early December. Some of these bucks are the same bucks year after year, only showing up on camera primarily during November. Without running trail-cams all season, I would never know these bucks existed. If I see that much shifting around of bucks on three-quarters of a square mile, think of the shifting around that could be occurring on just 68 acres.

#3042143 - 11/20/12 12:58 PM Re: BSK/others advice on discouraged management? [Re: BSK]
woodsman87
8 Point

Yea that makes sense too. I know there are good deer up there, like the first one I killed and the dead one that we found. I just don't know if I want to start shooting some of these young deer or not. I want them to grow up because I like shooting big bucks. But if I don't, somebody else will. I saw two beautiful six points on Saturday morning. Chasing does through the middle of our cow pastures. I know that they probably want last long. I have just became so unsure of what to do with deer like that. I said earlier that I haven't killed a buck in three years. Im about to start shooting! haha
I live out of state and paying 250 for a license every year and never killin em stinks!

#3042190 - 11/20/12 01:22 PM Re: BSK/others advice on discouraged management? [Re: woodsman87]
BSK
Non-Typical

I fully get that woodsman87. Heck, I teach people to practice QDM for a living. I practice it, to a certain extent, on my own land. But for myself and my family, we hunt for fun. We've stopped getting all hung up on trying to grow and kill "big" bucks. Ever since we stopped focusing so much on big bucks, we are having a lot more fun hunting. Now that doesn't mean we've gone back to killing anything with antlers, but if a nice 2 1/2 100-class 8-point comes by, we will shoot.

My kill for this year; a 100-class 8-point 2 1/2 year-old, and I had a blast hunting and killing him:

#3042205 - 11/20/12 01:29 PM Re: BSK/others advice on discouraged management? [Re: BSK]
woodsman87
8 Point

Yea, I would shoot him as soon as I could!
And another thing, I have a younger brother that is only 16 and hasn't killed but four or five deer, and my dad used to love to hunt but doesn't go any more except once or twice a year. I would rather them or my wife be shooting these nice ones that me so It is also like I save them. I kinda take roll call while hunting and then tell my brother what I been seeing so he will have confidence when he goes.
I am finally off work the next five days after today. They starting to chase so maybe I can get me one. And I seen that the weather for Friday-Sunday is going to be subperb big buck weather!
Thanks for your thoughts!

#3042384 - 11/20/12 04:01 PM Re: BSK/others advice on discouraged management? [Re: woodsman87]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee

One of the best topics I have read in a while, hunting at its best!

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
-John Muir

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
jtw465, lovetohunt96, Csfraley, Big Dc, JaxTN870
13411 Registered Users
Who's Online
10 registered (WGK, Tn Joe, Hill Country Hunter, booche', Zulu, mossyoakmantn, 2 invisible) and 65 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13411 Members
42 Forums
96642 Topics
1131474 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.043 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.