Page 2 of 6 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3041657 - 11/20/12 08:21 AM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: Setterman]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Setterman
I have hunted GA, KY, and here in TN so far where there should have been rut activity in all while I was in the woods and every one seemed to be behind. It is hard to say with 100% certainty that it is with only getting a snap shot view, but everything and everyone I interact with thinks it is 3-4 weeks behind for some reason. Strange dang year.

Strange. Everyone I've been talking to has been remarking on the early and extremely active rut they have experienced this year in TN and KY.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3041662 - 11/20/12 08:26 AM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: BSK]
Unicam Administrator
Grumpaw
16 Point

Loc: Dallas, GA. & Cookeville, TN

Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: Setterman
I have hunted GA, KY, and here in TN so far where there should have been rut activity in all while I was in the woods and every one seemed to be behind. It is hard to say with 100% certainty that it is with only getting a snap shot view, but everything and everyone I interact with thinks it is 3-4 weeks behind for some reason. Strange dang year.

Strange. Everyone I've been talking to has been remarking on the early and extremely active rut they have experienced this year in TN and KY.

Very active down here in Middle GA and pretty good in N. GA too.

John 15:13

#3041666 - 11/20/12 08:27 AM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: arctic_cat]
BigD_625
10 Point

Loc: Maury County, TN

Buddy killed 2 does in Wayne this weekend. Both had stained, fluffy glands. It's coming soon!

#3041672 - 11/20/12 08:33 AM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: BSK]
tellico4x4
6 Point

Loc: Killen, AL

[quote=BSKStrange. Everyone I've been talking to has been remarking on the early and extremely active rut they have experienced this year in TN and KY.
[/quote]

We are hoping for an "extremely active" rut once it gets to cranking for us, but we are definately behind as BHC said. Last week, we had 8 bucks on a plot together one afternoon and on opening morning of gun, one of the guys had 6 bucks travelling together come by him in woods.

#3041674 - 11/20/12 08:33 AM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: BigD_625]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

I am not a very successful deer hunter, but I think it is pretty much the same every year. I don't think anything has to do with it. Cold weather helps, just simply because I feel like they move more in the cold. JMO
#3041681 - 11/20/12 08:36 AM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: woodsman87]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: woodsman87
Cold weather helps, just simply because I feel like they move more in the cold. JMO

I do believe the extended period of more normal temps for this time of year has helped in producing the good hunting many have reported. This has been the best hunting weather we've experienced during MZ and early gun season in many years.

But I have a hard time explaining the very active early rutting activity I've seen region wide, such as the extremely high number of scrapes bucks have been making this year. Extremely active scraping this year...

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3041834 - 11/20/12 09:40 AM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: BSK]
Bone Collector
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

I have heard reports that in Rutherford Co the rut is on. I have land there, and have hunted it. Bucks are cruising and i haven't seen a doe since can remember, but no chasing the boys are by themselves.

In Wilson, where my brothers land is he killed a messed up 8. said he stunk and was scarred up from fighting, but he came in alone. we went Sunday i saw a small 4 pt alone, he had 3 does come in on him together.

It is hard to say, but I think it is still a week or so away. Of course i don't generally see much chasing in Rutherford and Wilson county, but this is the first time in years having private land to hunt there. I have seen some small bucks chase in the past on Priest in late Oct. early Nov, but haven't seen it this year.

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
General James Mattis

#3041845 - 11/20/12 09:44 AM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: BSK]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

Just from my experience thus far I'd have to say the rut still hasn't happened in and around the Hardeman/Fayette County line. One thing that points towards this is the number of fresh scrapes that are still appearing daily. Once "it" starts all scraping activity will cease. The bucks are on their feet and much more visible but with the possible exception of only a handful of does entering estrous earlier than their coherts most aren't ready yet. The bucks I've seen (including a few mature animals) have been checking the does out even to include a few uneventful chases but both end up going their seperate ways. Also the does are still with their fawns.

The bucks are beginning to get killable more so than once the rut actually starts although you can't beat the dramatic hunts where the crashing and grunting of 1/2 dozen bucks hot on the heels of a doe happens to come right by your stand.

#3041871 - 11/20/12 09:54 AM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: redblood]
Tomahawk
6 Point

Loc: east & west tn

Originally Posted By: redblood
yep. they are way behind. i just came back from illinois and they are still not ready up there. Week after Thanksgiving. WATCH OUT!!
Not sure what part of Illinois you were hunting but here in pike and Adams county it has been blowing up for the past 2 weeks. Big bucks chasing and now moving in to lock down phase. It's been action galore for me and the folks I've hunted with.

#3041989 - 11/20/12 10:59 AM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: Mike Belt]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Mike Belt
Just from my experience thus far I'd have to say the rut still hasn't happened in and around the Hardeman/Fayette County line. One thing that points towards this is the number of fresh scrapes that are still appearing daily. Once "it" starts all scraping activity will cease. The bucks are on their feet and much more visible but with the possible exception of only a handful of does entering estrous earlier than their coherts most aren't ready yet. The bucks I've seen (including a few mature animals) have been checking the does out even to include a few uneventful chases but both end up going their seperate ways. Also the does are still with their fawns.

The bucks are beginning to get killable more so than once the rut actually starts although you can't beat the dramatic hunts where the crashing and grunting of 1/2 dozen bucks hot on the heels of a doe happens to come right by your stand.

Mike,

This year, when never experienced the full "dead scrape" period so common to peak breeding. Peak breeding is usually Nov. 12-19 in my area, but this year, we saw some scrape-working going on throughout that period. In fact, peak breeding appeared to be about two days early this year. Scraping fell off about Nov. 10, and was really getting cranked up again around the opening of gun (Nov. 17), but we saw some scraping throughout the period.

Page 2 of 6 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
UTRok16, ljhhunt3, perchjerkin, camohunter3, mtd
13273 Registered Users
Who's Online
50 registered (Mr.Squirrel, redblood, catman529, bigrob, mossyoakmantn, Master Chief, 5 invisible) and 62 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13273 Members
42 Forums
93134 Topics
1088538 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.089 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.