Tndeer Logo

Page all of 6 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3041126 - 11/19/12 08:37 PM Late rut? Or invisible rut?
BHC
6 Point

Loc: Wayne Co. , Tennessee

I hunt in Wayne county and strangely enough bucks of all ages are still being spotted runnin together.. also scrapes are still very scarce... Typically around the first of November the woods fill with scrapes and we start gettin pics of bucks working them, fighting, etc.
I'm just curious if anyone is experiencing similar things or if this is jus something going on our place?

#3041130 - 11/19/12 08:39 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: BHC]
Setterman
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville, TN

I have hunted GA, KY, and here in TN so far where there should have been rut activity in all while I was in the woods and every one seemed to be behind. It is hard to say with 100% certainty that it is with only getting a snap shot view, but everything and everyone I interact with thinks it is 3-4 weeks behind for some reason. Strange dang year.
#3041139 - 11/19/12 08:44 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: Setterman]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

Everything I've seen is a lot of chasing and scrapes but i didn't see my first scrape til last week but I've seen several bucks chasing.

#3041153 - 11/19/12 08:50 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: deerhunter10]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

yep. they are way behind. i just came back from illinois and they are still not ready up there. Week after Thanksgiving. WATCH OUT!!

#3041201 - 11/19/12 09:08 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: ]
Rockhound
10 Point

Loc: Lawrence Co. TN

There starting to chase in Lawrence county but peak is about a week away i think
Isaiah 40:31.... Those who wait upon The Lord .....shall renew there strength ......

#3041214 - 11/19/12 09:15 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: redblood]
scn
14 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

Originally Posted By: redblood
yep. they are way behind. i just came back from illinois and they are still not ready up there. Week after Thanksgiving. WATCH OUT!!

So if I have a chance to head up for their second gun season it may be worth the trip?

I knew when I left Monday a week ago it wasn't totally cranked up, but I really thought you all would hit it right this past weekend.

#3041215 - 11/19/12 09:16 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: Rockhound]
Terence
4 Point

Loc: TN

I can tell u up here in sumner county were seeing bucks on there feet alone and groups of does and we went from 150 pics on cam a week down to less than 30 in a week
#3041367 - 11/19/12 11:48 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: Terence]
7wsm
6 Point

Loc: Tennessee

every one tells me 1st week in dec for wayne co
#3041372 - 11/19/12 11:52 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: 7wsm]
arctic_cat
8 Point

Loc: Lenoir City,Tn

There was about 10-12 people at the lease in Wayne county and the only deer I know of being seen was a spike that one of the guys daughter shot and could not find. Rut has not started if u ask me

WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE YOU LOVE, YOU GAIN AN ANGEL YOU KNOW

MEMORIES, IT'S THE ONLY THING THAT CAN NEVER BE TAKEN AWAY.

#3041373 - 11/19/12 11:56 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: arctic_cat]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

confused Online
around here I have seen groups of does, does with fawns, does being followed, does being chased, and bucks roaming. Seems mixed up but the rut is happening here, just not completely sure if peak breeding has happened yet or not.

#3041657 - 11/20/12 08:21 AM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: Setterman]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Setterman
I have hunted GA, KY, and here in TN so far where there should have been rut activity in all while I was in the woods and every one seemed to be behind. It is hard to say with 100% certainty that it is with only getting a snap shot view, but everything and everyone I interact with thinks it is 3-4 weeks behind for some reason. Strange dang year.

Strange. Everyone I've been talking to has been remarking on the early and extremely active rut they have experienced this year in TN and KY.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3041662 - 11/20/12 08:26 AM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: BSK]
Unicam Administrator
Grumpaw
16 Point

Loc: Dallas, GA. & Cookeville, TN

Originally Posted By: BSK

Strange. Everyone I've been talking to has been remarking on the early and extremely active rut they have experienced this year in TN and KY.

Very active down here in Middle GA and pretty good in N. GA too.

John 15:13

#3041666 - 11/20/12 08:27 AM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: arctic_cat]
BigD_625
10 Point

Loc: Maury County, TN

Buddy killed 2 does in Wayne this weekend. Both had stained, fluffy glands. It's coming soon!

#3041672 - 11/20/12 08:33 AM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: BSK]
tellico4x4
6 Point

Loc: Killen, AL

[quote=BSKStrange. Everyone I've been talking to has been remarking on the early and extremely active rut they have experienced this year in TN and KY.
[/quote]

We are hoping for an "extremely active" rut once it gets to cranking for us, but we are definately behind as BHC said. Last week, we had 8 bucks on a plot together one afternoon and on opening morning of gun, one of the guys had 6 bucks travelling together come by him in woods.

#3041674 - 11/20/12 08:33 AM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: BigD_625]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

I am not a very successful deer hunter, but I think it is pretty much the same every year. I don't think anything has to do with it. Cold weather helps, just simply because I feel like they move more in the cold. JMO
#3041681 - 11/20/12 08:36 AM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: woodsman87]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: woodsman87
Cold weather helps, just simply because I feel like they move more in the cold. JMO

I do believe the extended period of more normal temps for this time of year has helped in producing the good hunting many have reported. This has been the best hunting weather we've experienced during MZ and early gun season in many years.

But I have a hard time explaining the very active early rutting activity I've seen region wide, such as the extremely high number of scrapes bucks have been making this year. Extremely active scraping this year...

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3041834 - 11/20/12 09:40 AM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: BSK]
Bone Collector
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

I have heard reports that in Rutherford Co the rut is on. I have land there, and have hunted it. Bucks are cruising and i haven't seen a doe since can remember, but no chasing the boys are by themselves.

In Wilson, where my brothers land is he killed a messed up 8. said he stunk and was scarred up from fighting, but he came in alone. we went Sunday i saw a small 4 pt alone, he had 3 does come in on him together.

It is hard to say, but I think it is still a week or so away. Of course i don't generally see much chasing in Rutherford and Wilson county, but this is the first time in years having private land to hunt there. I have seen some small bucks chase in the past on Priest in late Oct. early Nov, but haven't seen it this year.

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
General James Mattis

#3041845 - 11/20/12 09:44 AM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: BSK]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

Just from my experience thus far I'd have to say the rut still hasn't happened in and around the Hardeman/Fayette County line. One thing that points towards this is the number of fresh scrapes that are still appearing daily. Once "it" starts all scraping activity will cease. The bucks are on their feet and much more visible but with the possible exception of only a handful of does entering estrous earlier than their coherts most aren't ready yet. The bucks I've seen (including a few mature animals) have been checking the does out even to include a few uneventful chases but both end up going their seperate ways. Also the does are still with their fawns.

The bucks are beginning to get killable more so than once the rut actually starts although you can't beat the dramatic hunts where the crashing and grunting of 1/2 dozen bucks hot on the heels of a doe happens to come right by your stand.

#3041871 - 11/20/12 09:54 AM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: redblood]
Tomahawk
6 Point

Loc: east & west tn

Not sure what part of Illinois you were hunting but here in pike and Adams county it has been blowing up for the past 2 weeks. Big bucks chasing and now moving in to lock down phase. It's been action galore for me and the folks I've hunted with.

#3041989 - 11/20/12 10:59 AM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: Mike Belt]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Mike Belt
Just from my experience thus far I'd have to say the rut still hasn't happened in and around the Hardeman/Fayette County line. One thing that points towards this is the number of fresh scrapes that are still appearing daily. Once "it" starts all scraping activity will cease. The bucks are on their feet and much more visible but with the possible exception of only a handful of does entering estrous earlier than their coherts most aren't ready yet. The bucks I've seen (including a few mature animals) have been checking the does out even to include a few uneventful chases but both end up going their seperate ways. Also the does are still with their fawns.

The bucks are beginning to get killable more so than once the rut actually starts although you can't beat the dramatic hunts where the crashing and grunting of 1/2 dozen bucks hot on the heels of a doe happens to come right by your stand.

Mike,

This year, when never experienced the full "dead scrape" period so common to peak breeding. Peak breeding is usually Nov. 12-19 in my area, but this year, we saw some scrape-working going on throughout that period. In fact, peak breeding appeared to be about two days early this year. Scraping fell off about Nov. 10, and was really getting cranked up again around the opening of gun (Nov. 17), but we saw some scraping throughout the period.

#3041997 - 11/20/12 11:04 AM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: BSK]
log72
Spike

Loc: Milan, TN

Typically how long will the first cruising/seeking period last until lockdown?
#3042005 - 11/20/12 11:08 AM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: log72]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: log72
Typically how long will the first cruising/seeking period last until lockdown?

10 days to two weeks.

#3042043 - 11/20/12 11:42 AM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: BSK]
log72
Spike

At that point bucks focus more on food sources? Then in another 3-4 wks start the rut phase over again? Is that correct?
#3042144 - 11/20/12 12:58 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: log72]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: log72
At that point bucks focus more on food sources? Then in another 3-4 wks start the rut phase over again? Is that correct?

No, during the cruising/seeking phase bucks are searching for the first receptive does. Actual breeding generally explodes very quickly from few does being bred to more than 50% of does being bred in the two weeks of peak breeding. So you have the seeking/cruising phase as bucks are worked up about the rut but does aren't in heat yet, and bucks are on their feet constantly moving from doe group to doe group looking for that first receptive doe. Then breeding explodes into peak breeding for about two weeks, and hunters experience "lockdown," when most older bucks are constantly with receptive does (although some brief seeking will always be experienced during peak breeding as bucks leave one doe going out of estrus and seek their next doe). Right after peak breeding, hunters often see maximized chasing, as 25-40% of does are bred during the following two weeks. Although a fair number of does are still being bred, competition between bucks is higher than during peak breeding, hence more chasing/competing is required to gain access to receptive does. In fact, many hunters think this phase is the "peak of the rut" because of all the chasing, but peak breeding has actually already occured. Following that peak chasing phase, as the rut winds down, a second but much weaker phase of seeking/cruising again occurs as bucks seek the last receptive does before the rut is over. After that, you have post-rut conditions, where bucks move little after being physically run down during the rut, and most of that movement involves feeding to rebuild lost body resources during the rut.

In a perfect situation you have something like this:

Two weeks: cruising/seeking
Two weeks: peak breeding and lockdown
Two weeks: peak visible chasing
One week: secondary cruising/chasing
Rest of the season: post-rut

#3042149 - 11/20/12 01:03 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: log72]
Bullfrog
6 Point

Loc: Ky Lake

I think we are having more of a trickle rut in my area(Henry Co). Scrapes will go dead 2 or 3 days and then a new one will show up within 10 yards of the last one that still hasn't been checked....or maybe they are all using only the new one. One day they are chasing, another day they pay no attention, and another day they are locked down. Just during the last week I have been seeing the signpost rubs being hit. Trying not to worry about it and just hunt, but it's a little baffling.
#3042169 - 11/20/12 01:15 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: Bullfrog]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Bullfrog
I think we are having more of a trickle rut in my area(Henry Co). Scrapes will go dead 2 or 3 days and then a new one will show up within 10 yards of the last one that still hasn't been checked....or maybe they are all using only the new one. One day they are chasing, another day they pay no attention, and another day they are locked down. Just during the last week I have been seeing the signpost rubs being hit. Trying not to worry about it and just hunt, but it's a little baffling.

Just remember that through all these phases, not all bucks are doing the same thing every day. What you need to look for is what the majority of older bucks are doing. Ignore the behavior of yearling bucks. They are too young and inexperienced to know how to act! ;\) Honestly, yearling bucks will chase does for 4 straight months, with little benefit to themselves. Older bucks have learned to minimize their physical efforts by only chasing when there is some benefit to be acheived.

#3042216 - 11/20/12 01:36 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: Tomahawk]
southernhunter
8 Point

Loc: alabama

so far this is the worst year i have had in lincoln county on my farm. very few rubs or scapes. dad.bro.nephew and myself just spent 4 hard days of hunting . saw no chasing and only two bucks ,spike and 5 point . maybe its just my place but it really sucks and as of yet not one trail cam pic of a decent buck either !
#3042232 - 11/20/12 01:46 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: BSK]
Bullfrog
6 Point

Loc: Ky Lake

Originally Posted By: Bullfrog

Just remember that through all these phases, not all bucks are doing the same thing every day. What you need to look for is what the majority of older bucks are doing. Ignore the behavior of yearling bucks. They are too young and inexperienced to know how to act! ;\) Honestly, yearling bucks will chase does for 4 straight months, with little benefit to themselves. Older bucks have learned to minimize their physical efforts by only chasing when there is some benefit to be acheived.

Right...Old Bull/Young Bull philosophy..lol

#3042276 - 11/20/12 02:23 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: Bullfrog]
log72
Spike

Well BSK you breathe new hope into my hunting outlook! Don't reckon I was aware of that 2 wk peak visible chasing period.
#3042277 - 11/20/12 02:24 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: Bullfrog]
POSTED
Spike

Loc: Wayne Co. TN

I Hunt in Wayne county also BHC and have been wondering the same thing about our farms.. I have some spots that we have been hunting for years that are usually tore up with scrapes and rubs, by this time of year but NOT this year.I hope it is just all happening a little late this time.

If I had a safe and was gonna put something in it it would be safety... T.K. and Mike

#3042283 - 11/20/12 02:31 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: POSTED]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Rut is right I would expect it to be here. At check stations, I have seen several of the older bucks all gouged up and with broken antlers. Most of the chasing or trailing I have seen is by young bucks. That is just what I would expect. I hope the weather turns back cold next week. That should produce good sightings. I think we are right on schedule.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3042307 - 11/20/12 02:51 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: BSK]
MattR
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

Hey BSK, im hunting percy in nashville and alot of people are talking about how hard they are rutting but i havent seen it at all where im hunting at, and ive been in the woods alot. You think they have the does on lockdown right now?

#3042326 - 11/20/12 03:03 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: MattR]
BSK
Non-Typical

Davidson County should be well passed peak breeding.

#3042345 - 11/20/12 03:17 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: BSK]
MattR
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

I guess i just missed it then, because i was hunting cheatham untill a week and a half ago.

#3042437 - 11/20/12 04:53 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: MattR]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: MattRitter
I guess i just missed it then, because i was hunting cheatham untill a week and a half ago.

Quite often, it all comes down to where you are hunting. I could go on and on telling stories about hunters in the same hunting club, where one or two hunters see everything rut-related and nobody else hunting the same property does. It all comes down to stand location.

#3042473 - 11/20/12 05:19 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: BSK]
ClubHead
6 Point

Loc: Benton Co.Ky Lake,Tn

Rut seems to be in lockdown in Benton and Carroll.No scrape activity and seems hunting close to bedding areas is key now.Daylight and dark near them is key.They moving good at night even with the slight moon phase.
#3042489 - 11/20/12 05:30 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: ClubHead]
log72
Spike

Clubhead, I agree, according to BSK's Guide to the rut for dummies(I do appreciate the info BSK!). But now have something to look forward to first couple weeks in December tho. My stand location has been on common travel routes & doe use areas.
#3042502 - 11/20/12 05:35 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: BSK]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

from buddies that hubt williamson and davidson they are peak now. no personal experience there, but i can tell you for sure that southern bedford, marshall and northern lincoln are just heating up

#3042675 - 11/20/12 07:14 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: redblood]
Cy
6 Point

Loc: Wears Valley & Cannon County

I have seen more scraping this year than I have in years. Every logging road on my two farms are scraped from one end to the other. We have seen chasing activity every single day up until Sunday, the last day I hunted. The deer have all looked very fat, healthy and happy. Most fun I've ever had deer hunting, and that's saying something.

Scrapes went dead towards the end of last week.

(Cannon County)

#3042737 - 11/20/12 07:59 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: Cy]
Terence
4 Point

Loc: TN

Hey BSK you got any info on the rut in sumner and giles county . I went this morning in sumner county didnt see a single deer father saw a small buck about 900 yards away from me and our cams went way down from 150 to 200 pics a week down to less than 50 between 2 cams. I dont think the rut has come and gone here yet though. As I was coming out of the woods I found 2 scrapes that I know 100% for sure were not there the day before. Same on another farm I have in sumner found a scrape there last week but only saw one deer the whole week I hung a tinks scrape bomb on that scrape and boy I hunted there this afternoon and those bucks are tearing it up [censored] near have a hold dug in the ground . I moved my cams to the scrapes . But Id like to have your input on info in those 2 counties
#3042930 - 11/20/12 09:46 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: BSK]
Setterman
8 Point

Well obviously we are speaking to different people. Big difference in the areas we are probably referring to as well.

Edited by Setterman (11/20/12 09:49 PM)

#3043035 - 11/21/12 03:31 AM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: Setterman]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

Our rut timing seems to be going as usual. They're still scraping even though the number of scrapes seems to be way down from years past by now. Small bucks are pestering does and some larger bucks are moving more than 2 weeks ago. Some years I see older, larger deer moving now and other years they seem to know it's just not time quite yet and they seem to be conserving their energy. When the time draws near it'll be like someone flipped a switch. Knowing when that time is drawing near a hunter should be in the woods waiting and watching. The heat doesn't stop it. It just seems to delay daylight sightings making it seem like a trickle rut rather than the full blown thing.

#3043217 - 11/21/12 07:20 AM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: redblood]
BSK
Non-Typical

from buddies that hubt williamson and davidson they are peak now. no personal experience there, but i can tell you for sure that southern bedford, marshall and northern lincoln are just heating up

Each location is going to be a little different, but in southern Davidson County, the crazy phase of the rut is definitely over. My wife drives past the Warner Parks every day, and the crazy chasing that goes on in the neighborhoods surrounding that area was two weeks ago. We even saw some amazing chasing in my area of Bellevue, but again, that was a couple of weeks ago.

#3043226 - 11/21/12 07:23 AM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: Setterman]
BSK
Non-Typical

Well obviously we are speaking to different people. Big difference in the areas we are probably referring to as well.

Yup. Just look at the posts on this Forum. Some are talking about the best year in many years, with a great rut, and others are talking about how they aren't seeing anything.

#3043291 - 11/21/12 07:58 AM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: BSK]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

I think it is time BSK wrote a short treatise on the rut explaining how simple it is and why it is time for hunters to forget all the previous crap that has been printed in outdoor magazines and understand just how it really works.

It is not rocket surgery.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3044228 - 11/21/12 08:05 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: BSK]
Setterman
8 Point

Yup. Just look at the posts on this Forum. Some are talking about the best year in many years, with a great rut, and others are talking about how they aren't seeing anything.

No shortage of seeing or killing with me or those who I know, just different than anything I have seen. I killed my personal best 2 weeks ago and he was feeding on acorns, he exhibited zero of the usual traits found on bucks this time of year.

#3044302 - 11/21/12 09:01 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: Setterman]
DeerSlayer
TnDeer Old Timer
8 Point

Loc: Roane County, Tennessee

I would have sworn there wasn't a buck within 5 miles of my property this year, up until the opening day of gun season. Now, they are really moving great. Haven't seen the size of bucks I saw last year, but I have seen a few eight pointers. In the last few days, there are two distinct spikes chasing does on my place.

I was totally bummed about the lack of deer, but then, like magic, they appeared. It has been good in the woods every day since the opener of Gun season. I may go early for a couple hours in the morning to see what is moving around. Oh, I hunt in Roane County.

pkv
Matthew 25:31-46
Are you a Sheep or a Goat?

#3044304 - 11/21/12 09:02 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: Setterman]
Anonymous TnDeer Old Timer
Unregistered

I am in southern williamson county and the good part of the rut is over. I have a few scrapes being worked by young bucks but the older ones are nocturnal with feeding patterns. BSK is dead on when he says the rut happened early and hard. I think too many people are getting their hopes up about the rut. For most parts of the state it is gone. The southern middle states should be winding down in the next few days. Weather didn't help them this week.

The best chance now is to catch them feeding in the late season.

#3044312 - 11/21/12 09:06 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: Setterman]
Unregistered

No shortage of seeing or killing with me or those who I know, just different than anything I have seen. I killed my personal best 2 weeks ago and he was feeding on acorns, he exhibited zero of the usual traits found on bucks this time of year.
2 weeks isn't relative to rutting activity. Most of the time the window of opportunity is only a matter of days. Sounds like you killed one in his regular routine, not a rutting pattern.

#3044404 - 11/21/12 10:10 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: ]
Setterman
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Dawson

2 weeks isn't relative to rutting activity. Most of the time the window of opportunity is only a matter of days. Sounds like you killed one in his regular routine, not a rutting pattern.

Oh boy, now I know why I just read more than post anymore. I don't have the temperament to interact with the masses.

You must think you are speaking to someone who is in their first or second year chasing these things. Just a side note, but the buck scored just north of 165" gross/green and is the 4th deer over 130" I have taken this year alone. In other words, not my first time in the woods, and most certainly not the first time targeting or dealing with mature bucks.

Enjoy the rest of your season, time for me to slink on back off into the woods and let you boys enjoy the interwebz.

#3044409 - 11/21/12 10:16 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: Setterman]
Unregistered

Oh boy, now I know why I just read more than post anymore. I don't have the temperament to interact with the masses.

You must think you are speaking to someone who is in their first or second year chasing these things. Just a side note, but the buck scored just north of 165" gross/green and is the 4th deer over 130" I have taken this year alone. In other words, not my first time in the woods, and most certainly not the first time targeting or dealing with mature bucks.

Enjoy the rest of your season, time for me to slink on back off into the woods and let you boys enjoy the interwebz.
Sounds like the most perfect and safest thing for you to do. Don't go killing too many more bucks or the game wardens may come checking on ya!

Edited by Dawson (11/21/12 10:17 PM)

#3044659 - 11/22/12 08:33 AM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: ]
Setterman
8 Point

Sounds like the most perfect and safest thing for you to do. Don't go killing too many more bucks or the game wardens may come checking on ya!

Such a foolish and uneducated statement, maybe a little reading comprehension would serve you well. Mentioning me and poaching in the same sentence is laughable at best.

Not all of us are relegated to hunting within 30 minutes of where we live.

#3044755 - 11/22/12 09:50 AM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: Setterman]
Lawrence
8 Point

Loc: MT. Juliet Tennessee

Yep he is back

LOL

BOOM

#3044992 - 11/22/12 02:34 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: Lawrence]
TRIGGER
Michael Waddell stunt double
10 Point

Loc: Cunningham TN

On one of my places in Montgomery co peak breeding appeared to be around the end of the first week in November. I was on stand that Thursday with chasing all around me all day. Fawns were still with does. Then on Friday and Saturday still some chasing but this time does we're alone and fawns were wondering around by themselves. My hunting partners stand is about 200 yards away up on the ridge and he saw no chasing at all those three days. Thursday was the most exiting hunt I have ever been on and he didn't see much at all only 200 yards away.
#3045387 - 11/22/12 09:38 PM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: arctic_cat]
Unregistered

here in smith county,been out hard every morning i've seen tons of does and no bucks and one day i seen one spike so i took him out,but he came to grunt tube,but as he approached it was more of a curious approach rather than a dominant acting one,and the does ive seen none appeared to be in estrus yet,
#3045521 - 11/23/12 05:47 AM Re: Late rut? Or invisible rut? [Re: BSK]
HOOK
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Rutherford County, TN

Originally Posted By: BSK[/quote

I have a hard time explaining the very active early rutting activity I've seen region wide, such as the extremely high number of scrapes bucks have been making this year. Extremely active scraping this year...

AMEN...I have never counted so many and so early to boot.

Page all of 6 12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
THEdonkey0515, muddyhunter, davey1230, MisquitoNet, strutter rutter
13079 Registered Users
Who's Online
50 registered (Tn_Va_Hunter, landman, tnblaster, Jcalder, Model 1, willie c., 6 invisible) and 128 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13079 Members
42 Forums
88162 Topics
1032794 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.23 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.