Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3040647 - 11/19/12 02:55 PM Mincemeat Pie dispute
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

You guys think that Venison suet would be too gamey for Mincemeat pie? I don't think that you will be able to taste it anymore than you taste the venison fat in ground meat. My ol' lady is insisting upon using beef suet.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3040688 - 11/19/12 03:19 PM Re: Mincemeat Pie dispute [Re: Poser]
BuckWild
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: Memphis or Birdsong Creek

LoL...better go with the beef.

#3040810 - 11/19/12 05:01 PM Re: Mincemeat Pie dispute [Re: Poser]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

Loc: Adirondack Mtns, NY

Originally Posted By: Poser
You guys think that Venison suet would be too gamey for Mincemeat pie? I don't think that you will be able to taste it anymore than you taste the venison fat in ground meat. My ol' lady is insisting upon using beef suet.

Why would you be adding it at all????

The recipe I have calls for very lean, well cooked meat. Actually, they call for boiling it for like an hr.

FDXX75

#3040819 - 11/19/12 05:08 PM Re: Mincemeat Pie dispute [Re: FULLDRAWXX75]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: FULLDRAWXX75

The recipe I have calls for very lean, well cooked meat. Actually, they call for boiling it for like an hr.

FDXX75

Traditional Mincemeat pie uses suet and most people use beef suet. -see this recipe here for an example, it is from a cookbook from 1861: http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Traditional-Mincemeat-Pie

Mincemeat pie is a old world recipe, but I am pretty sure Americans traditionally did it with venison suet around the time of the first thanksgiving as most of the meat was game.

#3040828 - 11/19/12 05:18 PM Re: Mincemeat Pie dispute [Re: Poser]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

Loc: Adirondack Mtns, NY

Originally Posted By: FULLDRAWXX75

FDXX75

Traditional Mincemeat pie uses suet and most people use beef suet. -see this recipe here for an example, it is from a cookbook from 1861: http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Traditional-Mincemeat-Pie

Mincemeat pie is a old world recipe, but I am pretty sure Americans traditionally did it with venison suet around the time of the first thanksgiving as most of the meat was game.

never have seen that before, but I would use the beef suet, venison suet tends to get waxy and globy, once cooled.

FDXX75

#3043936 - 11/21/12 05:06 PM Re: Mincemeat Pie dispute [Re: FULLDRAWXX75]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Welp. I watched Rinella's T-giving episode last night and he made mincemeat pie using venison fat. He used bear fat for the pie dough. He said something interesting about the history of Mincemeat pie. Its roots are in the Mediaeval period when people had to eat a lot of rancid meat, so Mincemeat pie was a way of disguising the rancid meat taste.

#3044788 - 11/22/12 10:30 AM Re: Mincemeat Pie dispute [Re: Poser]
stuball1
Button

Loc: KY

I just watched on the meat eater show the host used rib meat and feed a bunch of people that aren't hunters ect. They said it was some of the best pie they had eaten. He had cooked it in a pressure cooker first.
#3045371 - 11/22/12 09:26 PM Re: Mincemeat Pie dispute [Re: BuckWild]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

content Online
 Originally Posted By: BuckWild
LoL...better go with the beef.

yep

#3046786 - 11/24/12 10:12 AM Re: Mincemeat Pie dispute [Re: redblood]
Nimrod777
Non-Typical

Loc: Spring Hill, TN

content Online
Use venison fat and anyone even imagines they taste something funny, and you're to blame.

Use beef fat, and you're in the clear.

Use beef fat, tell them you used venison, then while they're complaining that it tastes nasty, not like the regular way you SHOULD have cooked it, and you're chuckling to yourself all day long!

#3047066 - 11/24/12 03:36 PM Re: Mincemeat Pie dispute [Re: Nimrod777]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Nimrod777
Use venison fat and anyone even imagines they taste something funny, and you're to blame.

Use beef fat, and you're in the clear.

Use beef fat, tell them you used venison, then while they're complaining that it tastes nasty, not like the regular way you SHOULD have cooked it, and you're chuckling to yourself all day long!

If you do Mincemeat Pie right, you can't tell that there is actually meat in it. Most Americans don't seem to realize that it contains meat.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
100 registered (redblood, Florida Cracker 971, hunter drew, big 8's in Weakley county, MObowman, TnBullet, 9 invisible) and 158 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
96063 Topics
1124814 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.047 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.