Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3040341 - 11/19/12 11:49 AM I have a question....BSK
geezer
6 Point

Loc: To the right of the mississipp...

My mind is getting the best of me. Ive been watching a buck this year just not able to make it happen. Sat morning he came running a doe by me around 7am, I had a great broadside shot at 60 or so yards but passed because a main highway was directly behind him, him and the doe run off into some thick brush and I lose site of them. They very well could have crossed the road and 20 minutes later I hear 2 shots \:\( ! Now ive been out the last 2 mornings in hopes of seeing him again but it hasnt happened. What I have seen though is a small young buck has had a doe on lock down for at least the last 24 hours, yesterday morning and saw him herding her around again this morning while also seeing 2 other young fellas out cruising around sniffing things out today. What my mind is telling me is that yes indeed the mature stud of the farm got shot and these little guys realize it and are taking there turn with the ladies. Am I right for thinking that or could big boy just be on lockdown with his lady somewhere out of sight? I just find it strange that all the sudden these little bucks seem like they own the place. Thanks for yalls input cause my brain needs a little clarification!!!
#3040621 - 11/19/12 02:28 PM Re: I have a question....BSK [Re: geezer]
geezer
6 Point

Any suggestions or are y'all gonna let me go crazy? \:\) seriously, what do y'all think?
#3040624 - 11/19/12 02:30 PM Re: I have a question....BSK [Re: geezer]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: geezer
What I have seen though is a small young buck has had a doe on lock down for at least the last 24 hours, yesterday morning and saw him herding her around again this morning while also seeing 2 other young fellas out cruising around sniffing things out today. What my mind is telling me is that yes indeed the mature stud of the farm got shot and these little guys realize it and are taking there turn with the ladies. Am I right for thinking that or could big boy just be on lockdown with his lady somewhere out of sight? I just find it strange that all the sudden these little bucks seem like they own the place.

Even in areas with a good buck age structure, young bucks do some breeding. And they are most active and successful breeders right during what hunters call "lockdown" (peak breeding). This is when the least competition exists between bucks for breeding rights, hence everybody gets into the act, including the young bucks. I suspect this is what you are seeing--peak breeding when every buck has the potential to be a successful breeder.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3040753 - 11/19/12 04:12 PM Re: I have a question....BSK [Re: BSK]
geezer
6 Point

Very good point BSK, I try and remain positive but my thoughts keep leading back to "hes been killed" But you have helped me keep my sanity! Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me and everyone else on here, Im sure you get tired of seeing all the BSK? posts but you ALWAYS respond and are always helpful. Thanks for taking the time to do that!

Now, I just hope for the best and maybe he will show up on a trailcam soon or my scope! \:\)

#3040787 - 11/19/12 04:44 PM Re: I have a question....BSK [Re: geezer]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

I think hunters get too worked up about shots they hear from the neighbors. Honestly, most of the time I think the neighbors are shooting at stumps and cans out of boredom. Honestly, every time I hear a nearby shot, and I worry someone got "my" big buck, it usually turns out to be just another dead spike or forkhorn.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3041578 - 11/20/12 07:16 AM Re: I have a question....BSK [Re: BSK]
geezer
6 Point

Originally Posted By: BSK
I think hunters get too worked up about shots they hear from the neighbors. Honestly, most of the time I think the neighbors are shooting at stumps and cans out of boredom. Honestly, every time I hear a nearby shot, and I worry someone got "my" big buck, it usually turns out to be just another dead spike or forkhorn.

Yep, when I first heard the shots I thought ,man there is no way that they crossed that busy road without somebody honking or something but like I said, those nasty negative demons got in my head! Thanks again BSK! Maybe Thanksgiving will be the day, I have a hunting pass till noon.

#3041668 - 11/20/12 08:29 AM Re: I have a question....BSK [Re: geezer]
Unicam Administrator
Grumpaw
16 Point

Loc: Dallas, GA. & Cookeville, TN

content Online
LOL, when I hear the shot from over that direction I get ready for what may be coming my way!! Positive thoughts!! Hope he comes back by soon!

John 15:13

#3043578 - 11/21/12 11:33 AM Re: I have a question....BSK [Re: Unicam]
geezer
6 Point

I received great news this morning around 630am, my buddy called me to say that he is 99% sure that he saw the deer Ive been after and thought got shot about a mile and half down the road with a doe headed towards my place!!! I hope hes right and I also hope that he makes it there without getting shot, maybe no one is hunting the 4 or 5 properties between where he saw him and mine! Its gonna be a sleepless night tonight......

Edited by geezer (11/21/12 11:36 AM)

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys, GUIDO
13383 Registered Users
Who's Online
116 registered (Vermin93, hitek7, landman, TN RDG RNR, BOGS615, Sting, 16 invisible) and 143 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13383 Members
42 Forums
95797 Topics
1121580 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.057 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.