Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#3038327 - 11/17/12 10:20 PM Re: Neck shots [Re: Gravey]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

It also depends on the gun distance and the confidence in yourself and gun. But it is an ethical shot to take.

#3038335 - 11/17/12 10:31 PM Re: Neck shots [Re: deerhunter10]
JGreg
4 Point

Loc: Gallatin, TN

I prefer the much larger shoulder area. Blow there shoulder apart, and usually no tracking required. Not to mention if you miss back it hits vitals, miss forward and its usually just a miss. JMO
#3038344 - 11/17/12 10:36 PM Re: Neck shots [Re: Gravey]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Haven't taken a neck shot myself and won't unless I really want the deer and its neck is all I can shoot. I like tracking deer too, assuming I find them. More rewarding to track one and then stumble on it, thats part of the hunt to me. Haven't had one drop in its tracks yet. That would be convenient but I do like following a blood trail.

#3038357 - 11/17/12 10:57 PM Re: Neck shots [Re: catman529]
Robtattoo
4 Point

Loc: Tullahoma, TN.

Took one of each tonight. Shot a doe in the mid-lungs, a second in the neck. The lung-shot deer dropped on the spot & didn't even twitch. The neck shot also dropped on the spot, but flopped around for 30 seconds. Probably not really normal... If I can I much prefer the bigger, more certain shot into the chest cavity.

#3038367 - 11/17/12 11:13 PM Re: Neck shots [Re: Robtattoo]
Josiah
4 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN

I shot one in the neck on accident. It was a frontal shot and he was close so it shot a little high. Deer dropped on the spot, flopped for a few seconds.
#3038474 - 11/18/12 06:27 AM Re: Neck shots [Re: Josiah]
TRIGGER
Michael Waddell stunt double
10 Point

Loc: Cunningham TN

Can someone please explain WHY a neck shot will drop a deer. I am interested because if I ever get into a situation where the neck is the only thing I can see and don't think I will get a better shot I want to know where to aim on the neck. Understanding why it kills the deer will help with shot placement or deciding rather or not the shot is ethical.
#3038611 - 11/18/12 08:17 AM Re: Neck shots [Re: TRIGGER]
rukiddin?
8 Point

Loc: E. Tenn

Aim center of neck. The SPINAL CORD is severed, deer will NOT run off. Plus with nerves and "jugular" vein, you break that neck plus get the artery, deer will die very fast.
I shot one in neck friday. Deer was dead before it hit the ground.

"I'm gone to carolina in my mind"

#3038627 - 11/18/12 08:35 AM Re: Neck shots [Re: rukiddin?]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Loc: Benton Co.

I prefer a neck shot on my meat deer. A Good Buck gets the heart/lung shot. IMO it is important to be able to make a neck shot. You have a lot less margin for error. Sometimes it is the only shot you have when hunting the thick stuff.It is a shot that should only be made by a experenced hunter and excellent shot.Low on the neck gets a artery,mid neck spinal cord,high neck not much there but meat.If you are using a hollow point that fragments easily a neck shot is less risky. If you like a Bonded bullet that has good pass thru abilites it is a much riskier shot.
http://www.tndeer.com/shot-placement.html

http://www.newarchery.com/publisher/general-tips/2009/7/7/deer-shot-placement-guide/

Edited by WestTn Huntin'man (11/18/12 08:39 AM)
Edit Reason: more info
Proverbs 3:27 Whenever you possibly can, do good to those who need it

#3038630 - 11/18/12 08:39 AM Re: Neck shots [Re: TRIGGER]
waynesworld
8 Point

Loc: Mboro, Tennessee

Originally Posted By: TRIGGER
Can someone please explain WHY a neck shot will drop a deer. I am interested because if I ever get into a situation where the neck is the only thing I can see and don't think I will get a better shot I want to know where to aim on the neck. Understanding why it kills the deer will help with shot placement or deciding rather or not the shot is ethical.

Think about as if u were shooting a person if you hit the neck you have a good chance of either cutting blood to brain cutting air or taking out the compleate nerv ststem. Now i relate a lot of things to military a sniper is trained that if they are killing mas people u shoot th first in the stumic the will live longer and takes others to take care of them. Meens more targets. Now deer if u aim for the neck u will miss more but like stated befor high sholder gives better sucess. I have shoot some in the neck and one in the head. All droped. But i do not aim neck i suck at aim the ones i shot wete on run and i lead too far.

#3038775 - 11/18/12 10:34 AM Re: Neck shots [Re: waynesworld]
tn droptine
8 Point

Loc: Chester Co, TN/Afghanistan

Originally Posted By: waynesworld
 Originally Posted By: TRIGGER

Think about as if u were shooting a person if you hit the neck you have a good chance of either cutting blood to brain cutting air or taking out the compleate nerv ststem. Now i relate a lot of things to military a sniper is trained that if they are killing mas people u shoot th first in the stumic the will live longer and takes others to take care of them. Meens more targets. Now deer if u aim for the neck u will miss more but like stated befor high sholder gives better sucess. I have shoot some in the neck and one in the head. All droped. But i do not aim neck i suck at aim the ones i shot wete on run and i lead too far.

Never heard that they started training the military snipers to do stomach shots, must be something new

http://ghostblind.com/

Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (xtremedeerman) and 46 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180120 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.006 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.