#3039039 - 11/18/12 02:27 PM Re: Culler 9 point [Re: nate17]
Tomahawk
6 Point

Loc: east & west tn

Originally Posted By: nate17
 Originally Posted By: Tomahawk
did u happen to pull the jawbone?
not yet but will. This is a younger buck 3.5 at best but more than likely a 2.5.

If this deer is truly 2.5, then you killed a very high end 2.5 yr old for any area and this goes to show what a detriment the term "cull" has become.

If your happy with the kill, (which it looks like you are by the pics you're posting of it)then just leave it at that without trying to justify anything. I would still like to see the jawbone.

BTW, Congrats on a very nice deer.
Thanks for the congrats. I know my properties and know what this deer potential was going to be. Sure he would have gained more but not as much as one would think. I have numerous other bucks in the area that have similar genetics and they just never explode in to upper end antler size. Their tines stay short, this particular buck had a mix between his right and left side. I have other younger bucks that I would love to get that I have let pass because I know what they will become. Funny to hear folks tell me what I should or should not cull, they've never set foot on my property and don't have a clue what is running around here. "Cull" does not take away from a kill, it's just a way of saying "I don't want these genetics to become the primary genetics on my property". I never said this wasn't a good deer, just something I didn't mind taking out earlier than normal. Culling is not an excuse to shoot a deer but a way of practicing deer management. You may do things differently on your property...more power to you.

#3039044 - 11/18/12 02:31 PM Re: Culler 9 point [Re: Master Chief]
Tomahawk
6 Point

Originally Posted By: Master Chief
Nice deer, got any better pics yet?
yes here's one I posted in 2012 kill thread post.
[img]http://[/img]

Holy crap, that deer is atleast 36" wide!
Lol. No chief it's just the camera angle, it just looks wider than it is. I'll take numbers later and post them if interested.

#3039056 - 11/18/12 02:38 PM Re: Culler 9 point [Re: Tomahawk]
sure shot
8 Point

Loc: robertson,co TN

nice buck !!

#3039068 - 11/18/12 02:45 PM Re: Culler 9 point [Re: Tomahawk]
Master Chief
10 Point

Loc: Henderson County

sleepy Online
Nice deer, got any better pics yet?
yes here's one I posted in 2012 kill thread post.
[img]http://[/img]

Holy crap, that deer is atleast 36" wide!
Lol. No chief it's just the camera angle, it just looks wider than it is. I'll take numbers later and post them if interested.

lol, I know I was just messin with you.

Post the numbers if you want to, doesn't matter to me.

"It's not whatcha got, it's what you give." -Tesla

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."
-John Muir

#3039091 - 11/18/12 03:14 PM Re: Culler 9 point [Re: Tomahawk]
nate17
8 Point

Loc: Missouri

not yet but will. This is a younger buck 3.5 at best but more than likely a 2.5.

If this deer is truly 2.5, then you killed a very high end 2.5 yr old for any area and this goes to show what a detriment the term "cull" has become.

If your happy with the kill, (which it looks like you are by the pics you're posting of it)then just leave it at that without trying to justify anything. I would still like to see the jawbone.

Thanks for the congrats. I know my properties and know what this deer potential was going to be. Sure he would have gained more but not as much as one would think. I have numerous other bucks in the area that have similar genetics and they just never explode in to upper end antler size. Their tines stay short, this particular buck had a mix between his right and left side. I have other younger bucks that I would love to get that I have let pass because I know what they will become. Funny to hear folks tell me what I should or should not cull, they've never set foot on my property and don't have a clue what is running around here. "Cull" does not take away from a kill, it's just a way of saying "I don't want these genetics to become the primary genetics on my property". I never said this wasn't a good deer, just something I didn't mind taking out earlier than normal. Culling is not an excuse to shoot a deer but a way of practicing deer management. You may do things differently on your property...more power to you.

A biologist does not have to step foot on anyones property to know what your dealing with when you hear the terms "2.5" and "cull" about a harvested animal

Edited by nate17 (11/18/12 03:16 PM)

#3039113 - 11/18/12 03:34 PM Re: Culler 9 point [Re: Tomahawk]
Master Chief
10 Point

Loc: Henderson County

sleepy Online

"culling" does not work in the wild.

"It's not whatcha got, it's what you give." -Tesla

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."
-John Muir

#3039138 - 11/18/12 04:01 PM Re: Culler 9 point [Re: nate17]
Tomahawk
6 Point

A biologist does not have to step foot on anyones property to know what your dealing with when you hear the terms "2.5" and "cull" about a harvested animal
If this buck is 2.5. The only reason I believe he could be is based on his physical body size in comparison to other deer in the area but the guys where I took it to be processed seems to think its 3.5 minimum but haven't examined him thoroughly yet. It really doesn't matter either way at this point because I can't bring him back alive. I've got so many good bucks around it really doesn't matter if I killed him, a neighbor, or a car. Plenty more good ones to choose from, I attribute this to good management practices. You believe one thing, I believe another.
I commend you on your work as a biologist but that doesn't mean your always right. Quite a bit of info gathered on wildlife behavior and potential genetic outcomes are based on studies that aren't proven facts. I always take what a biologist says with a grain of salt and never hold it to be fact, sorry if this offends, not my intent.

#3039161 - 11/18/12 04:29 PM Re: Culler 9 point [Re: Tomahawk]
nate17
8 Point

Loc: Missouri

If this buck is 2.5. The only reason I believe he could be is based on his physical body size in comparison to other deer in the area but the guys where I took it to be processed seems to think its 3.5 minimum but haven't examined him thoroughly yet. It really doesn't matter either way at this point because I can't bring him back alive. I've got so many good bucks around it really doesn't matter if I killed him, a neighbor, or a car. Plenty more good ones to choose from, I attribute this to good management practices. You believe one thing, I believe another.
I commend you on your work as a biologist but that doesn't mean your always right. Quite a bit of info gathered on wildlife behavior and potential genetic outcomes are based on studies that aren't proven facts. I always take what a biologist says with a grain of salt and never hold it to be fact, sorry if this offends, not my intent.

It doesnt offend me in the least that you have an opinion or that you killed the deer. I think its a solid deer that would make many people happy.

The difference between your opinion and what is a fact is predicting that a 2.5 yr old deer will be a cull at maturity is nothing more than a guessing game for both of us.

#3039219 - 11/18/12 05:54 PM Re: Culler 9 point [Re: nate17]
Good time Charlie
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: Tazewell

Does not suprise me,some of you do not know this guy.
All I am going to say.

#3040586 - 11/19/12 02:04 PM Re: Culler 9 point [Re: Tomahawk]
JeepKuntry
16 Point

Loc: Clinton, TN

Congrats!

Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys, GUIDO, Bnpainter
13382 Registered Users
Who's Online
138 registered (Brisco Darlin, BuckAttack, TNGrizzly, jlrobbins29, Southern Sportsman, Mudbone, 22 invisible) and 166 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13382 Members
42 Forums
95636 Topics
1119318 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.368 seconds in which 0.007 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.