Topic Options
#3040105 - 11/19/12 09:43 AM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: m411b]
scn
16 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

Originally Posted By: m411b
 Originally Posted By: AlabamaSwamper
 Originally Posted By: Mudbone
After a warning, dog gets shot. That dog may decide to chase a kid. Then what? I guess it's just instinct. Or maybe every hunter in tn that has dogs in their woods should go to a wma or the mountains with jarhead, cause its not the dogs fault if they bite somebody or chase deer. To hell with the leash law huh?

WOW! I guess I shouldn't let kids rabbit hunt with us then. My big bad mean beagles might chase one of them next.

If the "Beagles" are on YOUR property, then you shouldn't have a problem. But if the "Beagles" are on someone elses property, without permission from that landowner, then YOU are breaking the law.
It doesn't matter what type of dog it is. The law is the law, and you have no consideration for other landowners around you.

Please link me the law that they are violating if hunting dogs stray off of somebody's property so I can make note of it and be better educated.

I don't think you are correct, so I will let you better educate me.

Edited by scn (11/19/12 09:58 AM)

#3040156 - 11/19/12 10:28 AM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: scn]
Obsession
4 Point

Loc: Lebanon, Tn

I don't want someones dog on my property anytime of year. But it really doesn't have a chance if I'm in my stand with a weapon. People have no reaspect for what is not theirs. Or it maybe that alot of people think they are entitled. Just look at our country!
#3040364 - 11/19/12 11:58 AM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: scn]
m411b
6 Point

Loc: .

Originally Posted By: scn
After a warning, dog gets shot. That dog may decide to chase a kid. Then what? I guess it's just instinct. Or maybe every hunter in tn that has dogs in their woods should go to a wma or the mountains with jarhead, cause its not the dogs fault if they bite somebody or chase deer. To hell with the leash law huh?

WOW! I guess I shouldn't let kids rabbit hunt with us then. My big bad mean beagles might chase one of them next.

If the "Beagles" are on YOUR property, then you shouldn't have a problem. But if the "Beagles" are on someone elses property, without permission from that landowner, then YOU are breaking the law.
It doesn't matter what type of dog it is. The law is the law, and you have no consideration for other landowners around you.

Please link me the law that they are violating if hunting dogs stray off of somebody's property so I can make note of it and be better educated.

Last I checked we have leash laws in TN, and if the owner allows their dog to run around off their property it's negligent. We also have a "Dangerous" dogs list here in TN.

You have the right to defend yourself from a viscous dog by means of deadly force. But only after it bites you "One" time due to our "One Bite Law". But if you kill a dog just because it's "Trying" to attack you, you will be at fault.

Get pictures, and video of the dog(s), and do what was done here. They cannot ignore that evidence. Animal Control cannot do anything unless they have that evidence, or catch the dog(s) away from the owners property.

TN actually has very strict dog laws. You just have to find the right person that actually cares to uphold those laws!

http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stustnst44_17_101_505.htm

Bottom line if your dog goes onto someone elses land without permission. You are breaking the law.

http://www.mcgtn.org/sites/default/files/animal-control/Animal_Control_Regulations.pdf

This link is Montgomery Co. Animal Control's site. But it cites TN code. Scroll down to confinement, and at large.
http://www.mcgtn.org/animal-control/regulations

Edited by m411b (11/19/12 12:04 PM)

#3040410 - 11/19/12 12:17 PM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: m411b]
scn
16 Point

Last I checked we have leash laws in TN, and if the owner allows their dog to run around off their property it's negligent. We also have a "Dangerous" dogs list here in TN.

You have the right to defend yourself from a viscous dog by means of deadly force. But only after it bites you "One" time due to our "One Bite Law". But if you kill a dog just because it's "Trying" to attack you, you will be at fault.

Get pictures, and video of the dog(s), and do what was done here. They cannot ignore that evidence. Animal Control cannot do anything unless they have that evidence, or catch the dog(s) away from the owners property.

TN actually has very strict dog laws. You just have to find the right person that actually cares to uphold those laws!

Bottom line if your dog goes onto someone elses land without permission. You are breaking the law.

http://www.mcgtn.org/sites/default/files/animal-control/Animal_Control_Regulations.pdf

This link is Montgomery Co. Animal Control's site. But it cites TN code. Scroll down to confinement, and at large.

State law supercedes any county ordinance. When it specifically says that dogs on a hunt are exempt from the leash laws, etc., it is pretty doubtful that those ordinances will hold up in court for a hunting animal.

Please link me to a state statute that supports your position. I still think you are wrong in your statement.

Edited by scn (11/19/12 12:32 PM)

#3040419 - 11/19/12 12:22 PM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: scn]
scn
16 Point

TCA 44-8-408:

(c) It is an exception to the application of this section that:

(1) The dog was on a hunt or chase;

(2) The dog was on the way to or from a hunt or chase;

#3040424 - 11/19/12 12:24 PM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: scn]
htnseymour
8 Point

Loc: sevier county Tn

Can't we all just get along? Come on, I have never shot a dog in the woods and wouldn't unless it was a vicious dog that was acting aggressive toward me or someone else. Fact is dogs chase, they don't know it's wrong, and I couldn't shoot one, but if it's a wild pack of dogs or pitbull or something that is being overly aggressive toward a human, things would change. I just don't want it on my conscious that I shot some kids pet. JMO

#3040439 - 11/19/12 12:30 PM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: scn]
m411b
6 Point

Loc: .

State law supercedes any county ordinance. When it specifically says that dogs on a hunt are exempt from the leash laws, etc., it is pretty doubtful that those ordinances will hold up in court.

Please link me to a state statute that supports your position.

http://statutes.laws.com/tennessee/title-44/chapter-8/part-4/44-8-408

Quote:
(b) The owner of a dog commits an offense if that dog goes uncontrolled by the owner upon the premises of another without the consent of the owner of the premises or other person authorized to give consent, or goes uncontrolled by the owner upon a highway, public road, street or any other place open to the public generally.

(3) The dog was guarding or driving stock or on the way to guard or drive stock;

(4) The dog was being moved from one place to another by the owner of the dog;

(5) The dog is a police or military dog, the injury occurred during the course of the dog's official duties and the person injured was a party to, a participant in or suspected of being a party to or participant in the act or conduct that prompted the police or military to utilize the services of the dog;

(6) The violation of subsection (b) occurred while the injured person was on the private property of the dog's owner with the intent to engage in unlawful activity while on the property;

(7) The violation of subsection (b) occurred while the dog was protecting the dog's owner or other innocent party from attack by the injured person or an animal owned by the injured person;

(8) The violation of subsection (b) occurred while the dog was securely confined in a kennel, crate or other enclosure; or

(9) The violation of subsection (b) occurred as a result of the injured person disturbing, harassing, assaulting or otherwise provoking the dog.

If the dog is specifically on a hunt or chase. It seems that is legal. But it is very unreasonable for that owner to allow that dog to hunt or chase 3 or 4 property lines away. In which case, the dog is "At Large".

For those of us that don't want other folks dogs on our land. We need to ban together and get this changed. That's if we can even change it.

#3040455 - 11/19/12 12:35 PM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: m411b]
scn
16 Point

State law supercedes any county ordinance. When it specifically says that dogs on a hunt are exempt from the leash laws, etc., it is pretty doubtful that those ordinances will hold up in court.

Quote:
(b) The owner of a dog commits an offense if that dog goes uncontrolled by the owner upon the premises of another without the consent of the owner of the premises or other person authorized to give consent, or goes uncontrolled by the owner upon a highway, public road, street or any other place open to the public generally.

(3) The dog was guarding or driving stock or on the way to guard or drive stock;

(5) The dog is a police or military dog, the injury occurred during the course of the dog's official duties and the person injured was a party to, a participant in or suspected of being a party to or participant in the act or conduct that prompted the police or military to utilize the services of the dog;

(6) The violation of subsection (b) occurred while the injured person was on the private property of the dog's owner with the intent to engage in unlawful activity while on the property;

(7) The violation of subsection (b) occurred while the dog was protecting the dog's owner or other innocent party from attack by the injured person or an animal owned by the injured person;

(8) The violation of subsection (b) occurred while the dog was securely confined in a kennel, crate or other enclosure; or

(9) The violation of subsection (b) occurred as a result of the injured person disturbing, harassing, assaulting or otherwise provoking the dog.

If the dog is specifically on a hunt or chase. It seems that is legal. But it is very unreasonable for that owner to allow that dog to hunt or chase 3 or 4 property lines away. In which case, the dog is "At Large".

For those of us that don't want other folks dogs on our land. We need to ban together and get this changed. That's if we can even change it.

Or, as hunters, we can realize that hunting with dogs is a very storied part of the TN hunting tradition, and we can ban together to fight any erosion of the rights to hunt such dogs.

#3040476 - 11/19/12 12:50 PM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: scn]
RAFI
10 Point

Loc: Tn

Quote:

Or, as hunters, we can realize that hunting with dogs is a very storied part of the TN hunting tradition, and we can ban together to fight any erosion of the rights to hunt such dogs.

I cant believe that its legal.I hate when my hunt is messed up bc someones dog runs on my lease but now i know its legal and i cant do anything.when my beagles ran off the property i was hunting i tried to caall them back.guess i didnt need to.

Page 4 of 4 <1234

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (FULLDRAWXX75, 1 invisible) and 69 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.006 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.