Tndeer Logo

Page all of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#3036421 - 11/16/12 12:54 PM Why can't you tie up your dogs?
America
Spike

Loc: Tennessee, United States

So my hunting buddy and I go hunting this morning. All morning I can hear a coon dog going nuts toward where my buddy is. He texts me and says the neighbors dog is running deer all over. So, he calls the dog owner and ask if they can tie the dog up and they say there is no way they can tie the dog up(even though they have a yard full of trees, mixed with a little rope and you have a tied up dog). So my buddy tells them he isnt trying to be rude or mean, but if he sees it again they wont have to worry about it. The lady goes off saying he better not shoot her dog! We(hunters all across the country) spend way too much hard earned money and a lot of time on hunting deer every season. Ignorante people really have no clue that the world is bigger than the little bubble they live in! Thoughts?
#3036422 - 11/16/12 12:56 PM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: America]
cecil30-30
16 Point

Loc: Morgan Co

I agree 100%..But I believe he messed up by saying he would shoot it if he saw it agian.He should have just SSS..Shoot,shovel,and shut up..I belive if a person really cares about their dog,then they would tie it up during deer season,MZ and Gun season expecially.

Ban Liberals!!! Save America!!!!

#3036425 - 11/16/12 12:59 PM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: cecil30-30]
America
Spike

Loc: Tennessee, United States

Originally Posted By: cecil30-30
I agree 100%..But I believe he messed up by saying he would shoot it if he saw it agian.He should have just SSS..Shoot,shovel,and shut up..I belive if a person really cares about their dog,then they would tie it up during deer season,MZ and Gun season expecially.

Ha I like your "SSS" phrase.

#3036431 - 11/16/12 01:07 PM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: cecil30-30]
fourwheeler431
14 Point

Loc: Powell

Originally Posted By: cecil30-30

X2 He just opened himself up for major trouble,if something happens to that dog!

#3036437 - 11/16/12 01:17 PM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: fourwheeler431]
PcDeer
4 Point

Loc: Linden, Tn

Understand completely! I keep my overly hyper black lab put up during deer season and appreciate others who do the same
#3036494 - 11/16/12 02:02 PM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: PcDeer]
huntintn
8 Point

Loc: savannah,TN

gave the dog chasing last weekend a warning shot over its head. Only one he'll get I dont let mine run wild I expect the same.

#3036552 - 11/16/12 02:45 PM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: huntintn]
Savage Knight
4 Point

Loc: Tn

ive got 2 on my hitlist from lastyear, shot a doe with a bow and they got to her before I did. same morning I shot a 2nd and I guess they heard her take off and off they went after her. I never found that one.

#3036559 - 11/16/12 02:52 PM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: Savage Knight]
JGreg
4 Point

Loc: Gallatin, TN

SSS... love it!
#3036564 - 11/16/12 02:59 PM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: Savage Knight]
TRIGGER
Michael Waddell stunt double
10 Point

Loc: Cunningham TN

I don't care how many times a dog runs a deer off I would never shoot a dog. It is not the dogs fault. I have stopped hunting areas because of dogs. But never shot them. If you shoot the dog the owner is just going to get another one. I have spent a lot of time and money on a fence to keep my dogs in my yard (5acres) but if they get out by some chance I wouldn't want anyone shooting them. I do agree that the owner should have done something after being notified though.
#3036592 - 11/16/12 03:30 PM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: TRIGGER]
ImThere
10 Point

Loc: Lewisburg, Tn

content Online
SSS

#3036611 - 11/16/12 03:48 PM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: ]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

content Online
"Ignorante people really have no clue that the world is bigger than the little bubble they live in! Thoughts?"

This works both ways. Deer hunters sometimes think all the adjacent land owners should walk on egg shells while deer season is underway so as to not disturb the deer. That's a bit unrealistic in my opinion. Yeah, I keep my dog penned during deer season because she would ruin my hunting by following me everywhere but I certainly don't expect every neighbor to go to the trouble to keep their dogs tied for months just because I want to chase a deer. And there is no way I would even consider shooting a dog for running through the woods chasing a deer.

Edited by Hunter 257W (11/16/12 03:49 PM)

#3036649 - 11/16/12 04:14 PM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: Hunter 257W]
Savage
8 Point

Loc: Crossville, TN

not the dogs fault, but thats a pretty inconsiderate neighbor. I would catch the dog and tie it up, then call the local authorities.

#3036729 - 11/16/12 05:12 PM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: Savage]
easy45
Non-Typical

Loc: Chester County

All you have to do is report them to the cops, there is a state leash law, she pays enough in fines and she will tie it up

#3036767 - 11/16/12 05:44 PM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: ]
Mudbone
10 Point

Loc: Williamson cty. Tn

After a warning, dog gets shot. That dog may decide to chase a kid. Then what? I guess it's just instinct. Or maybe every hunter in tn that has dogs in their woods should go to a wma or the mountains with jarhead, cause its not the dogs fault if they bite somebody or chase deer. To hell with the leash law huh?

#3036768 - 11/16/12 05:45 PM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: ]
Backstrapcrazy
6 Point

Loc: powell , Tennessee

All you have to do is report them to the cops, there is a state leash law, she pays enough in fines and she will tie it up.

x2

#3036829 - 11/16/12 06:30 PM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: ImThere]
TCounty Hunter
4 Point

Loc: Tipton County

Agreed 100%. He did the right thing calling or going by there if he knew whos dog it was, but when attitude is the response its a whole different game. Leash law, hunting season, if they are that stupid, SSS it must be. Consider it a lesson learned for the dog owner, although I have passed on a few dogs in my day because I didnt have the heart to do it, it aint their fault. Cant shoot the owner though. We had plenty of problems with our neighbors dogs (out in the country). They have about 8 and on our property all the time. We talked to them twice, no help. Called animal control got trap, caught dogs twice, cost them $500 and court dates, they have a fence around the 14 acres now.

Edited by TCounty Hunter (11/16/12 06:35 PM)

#3036842 - 11/16/12 06:41 PM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: TCounty Hunter]
TRIGGER
Michael Waddell stunt double
10 Point

Loc: Cunningham TN

Give you a story. My buddy was hunting some property and he always had problems with dogs. he was in his stand one morning and sure enough he heard a dog barking a few min later he looked down the creek and there was the dog. He shot it and when he did he heard a woman start screaming you shot my dog you shot my dog. She was on the creek bank and couldn't see her. He swears its a true story. He said the woman ran out of the woods screaming. He got down left and never heard a word about it. Probably because she was not supposed to be there. You just never know.
#3036871 - 11/16/12 06:56 PM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: TRIGGER]
ImThere
10 Point

Loc: Lewisburg, Tn

content Online
Got bit…………twice

SSS

#3036905 - 11/16/12 07:16 PM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: easy45]
7mm08
10 Point

Loc: In a river hopefully!

Originally Posted By: easy45
All you have to do is report them to the cops, there is a state leash law, she pays enough in fines and she will tie it up

Took care of our problems. emailed the photos taken off of multiple cameras to the county guy. $200 per offense per dog.....dogs are gone now.

#3036906 - 11/16/12 07:17 PM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: TCounty Hunter]
redlegs07
4 Point

Loc: Mt. Juliet, TN

What the wife's grandma does with people's dogs they catch running deer on their fenced property. These are deer dogs and its suspected many times people toss em over the fence (Natl Forest surrounds heir prop) then hunt the prop line. So she simply catches them puts em in their kennel until she gets ready, loads them up in the front seat of ol blue and drives em 45 mins to the shelter. Its a no kill shelter so they get the name off the collar and call the owner and decide if they want to pay the $200 bail. People try real hard to keep their dogs off of their place. They got no issue with dogs, hunting, or dog hunting, grandpa ran hounds for 60 years, they just don't like the tresspassing. If it wasn't a no kill shelter thet wouldn't do it, they love the dogs. They have a no tolerance policy.

It really sucks when they have gps collars on and the dog goes to jail cause they gotta watch it go.

#3037063 - 11/16/12 08:31 PM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: Hunter 257W]
Grizzly Johnson
Team Grizzly
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Hunter 257W
"Ignorante people really have no clue that the world is bigger than the little bubble they live in! Thoughts?"

This works both ways. Deer hunters sometimes think all the adjacent land owners should walk on egg shells while deer season is underway so as to not disturb the deer. That's a bit unrealistic in my opinion. Yeah, I keep my dog penned during deer season because she would ruin my hunting by following me everywhere but I certainly don't expect every neighbor to go to the trouble to keep their dogs tied for months just because I want to chase a deer. And there is no way I would even consider shooting a dog for running through the woods chasing a deer.

I don't think it's being unrealistic at all.... If you are going to own a dog, it's your responsibility to look after it... keep it on your own property by whatever means.

Your compassion is a weakness your enemies will not share.

#3037202 - 11/16/12 11:09 PM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
GoldenEagle09
4 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN/New Port Richey,...

If the neighbor would refuse to get their dog, if the dog was mean, and it ran off deer multiple times then SSS would be the verdict. But heck, like someone else said if it was a nice job I might just take it and give it to a family or a no kill shelter lol. Needs to be taken care of, especially if its on another persons property.
#3037260 - 11/17/12 05:25 AM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: ImThere]
reloadxx
8 Point

Loc: monore tn

content Online
Where i live people are always dropping off dogs on the side of the road and they run deer like crazy if it dont have a collar then its in troubile. Now if it has a collar then i leave it alone for a couple times then i go talk to the dog owner and never had one yet tell me he would not tie it up but if i had to use the 3 sss then i would

Edited by reloadxx (11/17/12 05:28 AM)

#3037291 - 11/17/12 06:27 AM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: reloadxx]
Swole Neck
4 Point

Loc: TN

I always thought SSS was sh*t, shower, & shave.
#3037306 - 11/17/12 06:50 AM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: Swole Neck]
Bottom Hunter
16 Point

Loc: Hatchie Bottoms

In my 55 years of life, I can not remember NOT having dogs. There are pictures of me in diapers with dogs, for those times I can't remember...lol.

Presently I own and love three dogs. These dogs are either in the house or inside a fenced yard....I don't even let them outside the fence while I'm in the front yard.....if they go outside the yard or house, they are leashed.

Often times I hear dog owners say things like.."Well, I'd never chain a dog or put it in a pen, that's just cruel." I beg to differ. It's just being a responsible dog owner. It's not only being responsible for the pet's life but also being responsible and respectful of your neighbors' property.

Back when I was a kid, there were no leash laws. Everyone pretty much let their dogs roam. We knew who every dog belonged to. I remember lots of neighborhood dogs getting hit by cars back then. I lost a few myself.

So, is it more cruel to chain or pen a dog up where it is safe or let it run around and possibly get hit by a vehicle or make a neighbor mad enough to shoot it? The dog has no idea what it is doing is wrong, but you should.

With that question in mind, I see some people that own dogs that live their entire life on a chain in the backyard.....why??

Why own a dog that does not hunt like a german shepherd and simply chain it up out back? I can see if it stays inside at night and only gets chained up when you leave the house, but to chain one up for a lifetime, now that IS cruel, imo.

I'm glad you got this resolved, but next time, don't tell them that you'll shoot it.....I never did...I've taken out my share chasing deer and will do it again.

Walk away; the battle they are fighting is not with you, but with themselves.

#3037342 - 11/17/12 07:28 AM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: ImThere]
Elmer
6 Point

Loc: Ft. Campbell/Montgomery co.

Leave the bloody collar in the porch. They'll learn

Mathews Reezen, CVA Wolf, 7mmWSM

#3037549 - 11/17/12 11:19 AM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: Elmer]
Jmacc687
Button

Loc: Franklin, TN

At our farm th only dogs we run into are the ones someone left for dead back in "the middle of nowhere'. Our road tuns through a wma. So its alot of fun for those guys to get all their stuff together just to have a dog screw it up. The other dogs are the ones people drop to run deer off our place back to the wma. Down the road at my buddy's place the meth head neighbors have three dogs that kill the deer and go for your throat if they see you. Told him to shoot him. They wont because they are afraid their cabin will get burned down. The county can't catch them. So what do you do. Sticky situation.
#3039931 - 11/19/12 07:40 AM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: ]
m411b
6 Point

Loc: .

Last I checked we have leash laws in TN, and if the owner allows their dog to run around off their property it's negligent. We also have a "Dangerous" dogs list here in TN.

You have the right to defend yourself from a viscous dog by means of deadly force. But only after it bites you "One" time due to our "One Bite Law". But if you kill a dog just because it's "Trying" to attack you, you will be at fault.

Get pictures, and video of the dog(s), and do what was done here. They cannot ignore that evidence. Animal Control cannot do anything unless they have that evidence, or catch the dog(s) away from the owners property.

TN actually has very strict dog laws. You just have to find the right person that actually cares to uphold those laws!

http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stustnst44_17_101_505.htm

#3039947 - 11/19/12 07:55 AM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: Mudbone]
AlabamaSwamper
12 Point

Loc: Southern Wayne CO and NW Alaba...

Originally Posted By: Mudbone
After a warning, dog gets shot. That dog may decide to chase a kid. Then what? I guess it's just instinct. Or maybe every hunter in tn that has dogs in their woods should go to a wma or the mountains with jarhead, cause its not the dogs fault if they bite somebody or chase deer. To hell with the leash law huh?

WOW! I guess I shouldn't let kids rabbit hunt with us then. My big bad mean beagles might chase one of them next.

http://twitter.com/AlabamaSwamper

#3039982 - 11/19/12 08:14 AM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: AlabamaSwamper]
m411b
6 Point

Originally Posted By: AlabamaSwamper

WOW! I guess I shouldn't let kids rabbit hunt with us then. My big bad mean beagles might chase one of them next.

If the "Beagles" are on YOUR property, then you shouldn't have a problem. But if the "Beagles" are on someone elses property, without permission from that landowner, then YOU are breaking the law.
It doesn't matter what type of dog it is. The law is the law, and you have no consideration for other landowners around you.

#3040105 - 11/19/12 09:43 AM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: m411b]
scn
14 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

content Online
 Originally Posted By: m411b

If the "Beagles" are on YOUR property, then you shouldn't have a problem. But if the "Beagles" are on someone elses property, without permission from that landowner, then YOU are breaking the law.
It doesn't matter what type of dog it is. The law is the law, and you have no consideration for other landowners around you.

Please link me the law that they are violating if hunting dogs stray off of somebody's property so I can make note of it and be better educated.

I don't think you are correct, so I will let you better educate me.

Edited by scn (11/19/12 09:58 AM)

#3040156 - 11/19/12 10:28 AM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: scn]
Obsession
4 Point

Loc: Lebanon, Tn

I don't want someones dog on my property anytime of year. But it really doesn't have a chance if I'm in my stand with a weapon. People have no reaspect for what is not theirs. Or it maybe that alot of people think they are entitled. Just look at our country!
#3040364 - 11/19/12 11:58 AM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: scn]
m411b
6 Point

Originally Posted By: scn

Please link me the law that they are violating if hunting dogs stray off of somebody's property so I can make note of it and be better educated.

Last I checked we have leash laws in TN, and if the owner allows their dog to run around off their property it's negligent. We also have a "Dangerous" dogs list here in TN.

You have the right to defend yourself from a viscous dog by means of deadly force. But only after it bites you "One" time due to our "One Bite Law". But if you kill a dog just because it's "Trying" to attack you, you will be at fault.

Get pictures, and video of the dog(s), and do what was done here. They cannot ignore that evidence. Animal Control cannot do anything unless they have that evidence, or catch the dog(s) away from the owners property.

TN actually has very strict dog laws. You just have to find the right person that actually cares to uphold those laws!

Bottom line if your dog goes onto someone elses land without permission. You are breaking the law.

http://www.mcgtn.org/sites/default/files/animal-control/Animal_Control_Regulations.pdf

This link is Montgomery Co. Animal Control's site. But it cites TN code. Scroll down to confinement, and at large.
http://www.mcgtn.org/animal-control/regulations

Edited by m411b (11/19/12 12:04 PM)

#3040410 - 11/19/12 12:17 PM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: m411b]
scn
14 Point

content Online

Bottom line if your dog goes onto someone elses land without permission. You are breaking the law.

http://www.mcgtn.org/sites/default/files/animal-control/Animal_Control_Regulations.pdf

This link is Montgomery Co. Animal Control's site. But it cites TN code. Scroll down to confinement, and at large.

State law supercedes any county ordinance. When it specifically says that dogs on a hunt are exempt from the leash laws, etc., it is pretty doubtful that those ordinances will hold up in court for a hunting animal.

Please link me to a state statute that supports your position. I still think you are wrong in your statement.

Edited by scn (11/19/12 12:32 PM)

#3040419 - 11/19/12 12:22 PM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: scn]
scn
14 Point

content Online
TCA 44-8-408:

(c) It is an exception to the application of this section that:

(1) The dog was on a hunt or chase;

(2) The dog was on the way to or from a hunt or chase;

#3040424 - 11/19/12 12:24 PM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: scn]
htnseymour
8 Point

Loc: sevier county Tn

Can't we all just get along? Come on, I have never shot a dog in the woods and wouldn't unless it was a vicious dog that was acting aggressive toward me or someone else. Fact is dogs chase, they don't know it's wrong, and I couldn't shoot one, but if it's a wild pack of dogs or pitbull or something that is being overly aggressive toward a human, things would change. I just don't want it on my conscious that I shot some kids pet. JMO

#3040439 - 11/19/12 12:30 PM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: scn]
m411b
6 Point

State law supercedes any county ordinance. When it specifically says that dogs on a hunt are exempt from the leash laws, etc., it is pretty doubtful that those ordinances will hold up in court.

Please link me to a state statute that supports your position.

http://statutes.laws.com/tennessee/title-44/chapter-8/part-4/44-8-408

Quote:
(b) The owner of a dog commits an offense if that dog goes uncontrolled by the owner upon the premises of another without the consent of the owner of the premises or other person authorized to give consent, or goes uncontrolled by the owner upon a highway, public road, street or any other place open to the public generally.

(3) The dog was guarding or driving stock or on the way to guard or drive stock;

(4) The dog was being moved from one place to another by the owner of the dog;

(5) The dog is a police or military dog, the injury occurred during the course of the dog's official duties and the person injured was a party to, a participant in or suspected of being a party to or participant in the act or conduct that prompted the police or military to utilize the services of the dog;

(6) The violation of subsection (b) occurred while the injured person was on the private property of the dog's owner with the intent to engage in unlawful activity while on the property;

(7) The violation of subsection (b) occurred while the dog was protecting the dog's owner or other innocent party from attack by the injured person or an animal owned by the injured person;

(8) The violation of subsection (b) occurred while the dog was securely confined in a kennel, crate or other enclosure; or

(9) The violation of subsection (b) occurred as a result of the injured person disturbing, harassing, assaulting or otherwise provoking the dog.

If the dog is specifically on a hunt or chase. It seems that is legal. But it is very unreasonable for that owner to allow that dog to hunt or chase 3 or 4 property lines away. In which case, the dog is "At Large".

For those of us that don't want other folks dogs on our land. We need to ban together and get this changed. That's if we can even change it.

#3040455 - 11/19/12 12:35 PM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: m411b]
scn
14 Point

content Online

State law supercedes any county ordinance. When it specifically says that dogs on a hunt are exempt from the leash laws, etc., it is pretty doubtful that those ordinances will hold up in court.

Quote:
(b) The owner of a dog commits an offense if that dog goes uncontrolled by the owner upon the premises of another without the consent of the owner of the premises or other person authorized to give consent, or goes uncontrolled by the owner upon a highway, public road, street or any other place open to the public generally.

(3) The dog was guarding or driving stock or on the way to guard or drive stock;

(5) The dog is a police or military dog, the injury occurred during the course of the dog's official duties and the person injured was a party to, a participant in or suspected of being a party to or participant in the act or conduct that prompted the police or military to utilize the services of the dog;

(6) The violation of subsection (b) occurred while the injured person was on the private property of the dog's owner with the intent to engage in unlawful activity while on the property;

(7) The violation of subsection (b) occurred while the dog was protecting the dog's owner or other innocent party from attack by the injured person or an animal owned by the injured person;

(8) The violation of subsection (b) occurred while the dog was securely confined in a kennel, crate or other enclosure; or

(9) The violation of subsection (b) occurred as a result of the injured person disturbing, harassing, assaulting or otherwise provoking the dog.

If the dog is specifically on a hunt or chase. It seems that is legal. But it is very unreasonable for that owner to allow that dog to hunt or chase 3 or 4 property lines away. In which case, the dog is "At Large".

For those of us that don't want other folks dogs on our land. We need to ban together and get this changed. That's if we can even change it.

Or, as hunters, we can realize that hunting with dogs is a very storied part of the TN hunting tradition, and we can ban together to fight any erosion of the rights to hunt such dogs.

#3040476 - 11/19/12 12:50 PM Re: Why can't you tie up your dogs? [Re: scn]
RAFI
10 Point

Loc: Tn

Quote:

Or, as hunters, we can realize that hunting with dogs is a very storied part of the TN hunting tradition, and we can ban together to fight any erosion of the rights to hunt such dogs.

I cant believe that its legal.I hate when my hunt is messed up bc someones dog runs on my lease but now i know its legal and i cant do anything.when my beagles ran off the property i was hunting i tried to caall them back.guess i didnt need to.

Page all of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
two1980, Darrenduhl, 2winsrus, jacmac, Smokeymtnbow
13101 Registered Users
Who's Online
70 registered (Hammer, stilllookin, Big Pop, Bowdacious, JACO0334, eyeseeker, 5 invisible) and 113 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13101 Members
42 Forums
88791 Topics
1038739 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.25 seconds in which 0.005 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.