Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#3035589 - 11/15/12 09:12 PM Re: To the Bowhunters [Re: Mossy Oak]
Spikes
4 Point

Loc: Clarksville TN

Usually when I'm bow hunting I am wishing I had my rifle.
#3035593 - 11/15/12 09:17 PM Re: To the Bowhunters [Re: Spikes]
Treestand Troubadour
4 Point

Loc: Carter County

its kinda odd but ive only killed deer with a bow, aint got nothin against rifle huntin, i just like my stick n string

#3035594 - 11/15/12 09:17 PM Re: To the Bowhunters [Re: Spikes]
Rockhound
10 Point

Loc: Lawrence Co. TN

Im there to kill deer its the same rush to me regardless so when i can im sending hot lead downrange
Isaiah 40:31.... Those who wait upon The Lord .....shall renew there strength ......

#3035771 - 11/16/12 05:23 AM Re: To the Bowhunters [Re: Rockhound]
m.Creek
8 Point

Loc: Georgetown, TN

I feel the same way. I've only killed a handful of deer with a rifle and mz. The rest had been with a bow. I've seen my biggest buck to date a few years back on opening day of rifle season, he was about 75 yards away and had his nose to the ground and grunting every step, but I had by bow, so all I could do its watch and how he came a little closer. I wouldn't change a thing about that hunt though.

My son killed his first deer this year, and he shot it with his bow, so he doesn't even want to gun hunt this year, it's all about bow hunting for him. So I'm going to take him with his bow as much as I can and let him do his thing.

#3035775 - 11/16/12 05:28 AM Re: To the Bowhunters [Re: Southern Sportsman]
htnseymour
8 Point

Loc: sevier county Tn

Originally Posted By: Southern Sportsman
At times. To remedy that, if I'm hunting in the woods, I try to take both my bow and my muzzleloader, assuming I don't have a really long walk. I then proceed to "bow hunt" but have my MZ hanging on a hook beside me, just in case.

Not TWRA, but I think it is illegal to carry two weapons into the woods. I am pretty sure you can't have a bow and a gun.

#3035785 - 11/16/12 05:39 AM Re: To the Bowhunters [Re: htnseymour]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

For some reason, even when I made the bulk of my living whether directly or indirectly by bowhunting, I was never that constipated. I never felt a piece of equipment relegated a hunter.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3035849 - 11/16/12 06:41 AM Re: To the Bowhunters [Re: htnseymour]
browtines
8 Point

Loc: kodak, tennessee

Originally Posted By: htnseymour
At times. To remedy that, if I'm hunting in the woods, I try to take both my bow and my muzzleloader, assuming I don't have a really long walk. I then proceed to "bow hunt" but have my MZ hanging on a hook beside me, just in case.

Not TWRA, but I think it is illegal to carry two weapons into the woods. I am pretty sure you can't have a bow and a gun.

It is legal to carry both weapons in the great state of tn...
Thank you TWRA...

#3035857 - 11/16/12 06:48 AM Re: To the Bowhunters [Re: htnseymour]
BigGameGuy
TWRA Biologist
12 Point

Loc: Nashville

Originally Posted By: htnseymour

You obviously can't carry a gun when it's archery only season but it's perfectly legal to carry two (or more) legal weapons when gun season is open.

#3035859 - 11/16/12 06:55 AM Re: To the Bowhunters [Re: BigGameGuy]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

My first several years of hunting were bow only. I feel like my learning curve was tremendous. I started using a Mzl last season and this season will be my first with a rifle. Bowhunting taught me how to set up tight and almost all my Mzl kills are inside 25 yards, usually 12-15. I don't feel like I'm cheating, I feel like I am growing as a hunter. I just needed to learn how to hunt first and bowhunting was the best way for me.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3035942 - 11/16/12 08:03 AM Re: To the Bowhunters [Re: Poser]
jakeway
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Hendersonville, TN, USA

I've killed approximately half of my deer with bow, but I'm getting more and more enjoyment out of center fire rifle hunting. Part of it is I'm now hand loading four different calibers, and a few different bullets in each, and I want to compare the effectiveness of them. Also I love still hunting on windy days when all the leaves are down. In many ways that's more challenging than sitting in a well-concealed stand with a bow. Sure, you can shoot a deer farther with a rifle, but the deer can see you for a long ways from all directions.

Still hunting with a bow may be the ultimate challenge, but I'm not ready for that full time. Ironically my first ever bow kill was one I snuck up on and shot from the ground while walking to my stand. That was early season, though, with lots of leaves and ground cover to hide behind.

I'm seriously considering not bow hunting at all next year.

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
5 registered (meat hunter, Sgoodman, hayman, Nooga Hunter, Kimberman) and 85 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180120 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.006 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.