Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3034829 - 11/15/12 02:17 PM BSK?
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Been thinking more and more about what you said about 15 to 20 hours out of one stand,making the stand far less likely to produce a mature buck.

On my place,I have a stand on almost every point ,ridge etc.Guess it would be a good idea to move from norht to south or east to west etc each year?Guess how far woulddepend on terrain features,thickets etc.

I usually stay out of the bottoms,because of the normally swirling winds.

Do you move em each year,or just pretty much give up on em after the 15 to 20 hours on stand for the year,and come back to em next year?

Very interested in any more thoughts you have on this,may should have been posted in serious forum,but thought I would get less"my grandpappy killed deer out of the same stand for 40 years" type thing here.

I would say my place somewhat resembles cathole,but not nearly as steep,or deep hollows.Typical ridge and holler place.My place plus connecting lease is about 670 acres.

Edited by Football Hunter (11/15/12 02:18 PM)

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3034836 - 11/15/12 02:21 PM Re: BSK? [Re: Football Hunter]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

My grandpappy has 100 acres with a wooden stand on the same oak tree for the past 65 years and he kills a big buck out of it every year!!

no wait, nobody else in my family hunts

interesting thought though, must have missed BSK saying that. I guess I killed a mature buck out of the first 2 hours of one stand location. And tomorrow I am moving it to another location near a big rub line.

...since last deer season

#3034979 - 11/15/12 03:53 PM Re: BSK? [Re: catman529]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Funny catman529!

Football Hunter,

Generally, we keep hunting each stand as often as each hunter personally wants through a given year. However, for those stands that have exceeded the threshold hunting pressure level, we try to move as many of them as possible before the next year's season rolls around (hey three guys 50 and older can only move so many 2-man ladder stands up and down these hills and hollers, but we do end up moving 15-20 of our 40+ stands). Now that doesn't mean we actually do get them all moved, but we try to move most of them. Although, we do keep a few stands up basically forever in the same locations. These are primarily doe or high deer sighting stands, for youth or new hunters or anyone that wants to see deer or shoot a doe. Most of these stands are near food sources. In addition, some of our hunters will gladly shoot a 2 1/2 year-old buck, and the hunting pressure "rule" I mentioned only works for bucks 3 1/2+.

Although there is no hard and fast rule about how far to move a stand, we try to move them at least 100 yards away from a previous location, and often it is much farther than that. But we let the hunting pressure map I create after each season determine the best potential locations. Wherever we have accidentally created a de facto sanctuary, due to our uneven hunting pressure, that is where a stand is going next year.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3035048 - 11/15/12 04:32 PM Re: BSK? [Re: BSK]
Diehard Hunter
CRAMP
12 Point

Loc: East Tennessee

Originally Posted By: BSK
Wherever we have accidentally created a de facto sanctuary, due to our uneven hunting pressure, that is where a stand is going next year.

Hmmmm, Looks like I have some mapping to do on one of my properties!

And before you ask, fourwheeler431....There will be a charge to look at the map!

#3039975 - 11/19/12 08:12 AM Re: BSK? [Re: Diehard Hunter]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Diehard Hunter
Wherever we have accidentally created a de facto sanctuary, due to our uneven hunting pressure, that is where a stand is going next year.

And before you ask, fourwheeler431....There will be a charge to look at the map!

Diehard Hunter,

When I create that hunting pressure map, I use the last three years' cumulative hunting data.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3040096 - 11/19/12 09:38 AM Re: BSK? [Re: BSK]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Originally Posted By: Diehard Hunter

Diehard Hunter,

When I create that hunting pressure map, I use the last three years' cumulative hunting data.
That sounds like a good idea,will have to start doing that.Been hunting,finally seeing some big boy sign,and some movement.Thanks for the info.

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3064701 - 12/05/12 12:56 PM Re: BSK? [Re: Football Hunter]
String Music
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville

BSK- would you still relocate a stand if it does not have a direct effect on the area you are hunting? In other words, if your stand is situated in an area that allows you to hunt a hillside or a ridge/point from a distance without ever stepping foot in that area, would the result be the same?
"For I know the plans I have for you..." Jer. 29:11

Hunting Photography:

facebook.com/AMOutdoorPhotography

www.amcunninghamoutdoors.com

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
85 registered (mhale22, Truedouble, ferg, SEC, WGK, Deer Assassin, 11 invisible) and 105 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91473 Topics
1069386 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.039 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.