Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#3034375 - 11/15/12 10:22 AM Re: BSK [Re: Savage]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

When you go out and scout in the bachelor groups you can pick out a specific deer. We aren't going to agree on this topic. But i do not agree with you on the point i think they hurt you a whole lot. That's my experience with them. But nevertheless you have contradicted yourself.

#3034518 - 11/15/12 11:27 AM Re: BSK [Re: String Music]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: String Music
With that said, you must be careful about where you place the cameras. All our cameras are located in food plots where the deer are use to year-round human activity. I also put the cameras in spots where I can check them from my four-wheeler. Deer are used to four-wheelers in this locations and are not spooked by them.

Great post String Music. As I help people attempt to set-up and run season-long camera census, I honestly have a tough time describing why I place cameras where I do. Much of my results are based more on trial-and-error over the years. But if I had to assess the set-ups that work best, I would have to come to exact same conclusion you have.

First, place cameras where human activity is normal throughout the year, not in areas where human intrusion is a dead give-away to the deer that "human predation season" is under way. Deer are not smart, but they have an unparalleled ability to differentiate between threatening and non-threatening human activity, and a lot of that is based off spatial orientation. Human activity "over there" is not a threat. But human activity "over here" IS a threat.

Second, check cameras right from the back of an ATV IF ATVs are not used for hunting in the area. Deer don't seem to find the smell of where an ATV has driven to be anywhere near as threatening as the smell of where a person has walked.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3034520 - 11/15/12 11:30 AM Re: BSK [Re: deerhunter10]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: deerhunter10
When you go out and scout in the bachelor groups you can pick out a specific deer.

What about those properties where the vast majority of bucks do not use the property until after summer bachelor groups have broken up? And what about those scouting bachelor groups in summer, only to have those bachelor groups break up and each buck move to a completely different fall range?

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3034535 - 11/15/12 11:40 AM Re: BSK [Re: BSK]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

Originally Posted By: BSK
When you go out and scout in the bachelor groups you can pick out a specific deer.

What about those properties where the vast majority of bucks do not use the property until after summer bachelor groups have broken up? And what about those scouting bachelor groups in summer, only to have those bachelor groups break up and each buck move to a completely different fall range?

This is a very good point, because I run cameras about 8 months out of the year on our small farm and I typically never, get a mature buck on film except between November and mid-January. I just don't see mature bucks on my property in the Spring/Summer and even early Fall. I'm not going to say that means they definitely aren't there but they sure aren't showing up for a photo-op. Likewise, my cameras are easy to get to and almost always can be driven up to. I'll branch out once in a while and put one on "Pike's Peak" just for the fun of it but it might go a month or more without being checked too.

#3034542 - 11/15/12 11:41 AM Re: BSK [Re: BlountArrow]
htnseymour
8 Point

Loc: sevier county Tn

My cameras haven't shown much but two young bucks, does, possums and raccoons, but they sure do let me know when the movement is and I have trails to them that are at least 20 yards from deer trails.

#3034544 - 11/15/12 11:42 AM Re: BSK [Re: BSK]
deerhunter10
10 Point

I understand that some properties you won't be able to scout the bachelor groups but that's why going in after season can pay off big deer have a small home range. Granted a doe can change that but the majority of the time they have a small home range you find that you find your deer. Also the surprise factor is great to me at least. I am and never will be a fan of them. The only thing that's cool is that you can brag to your buddies about the big deer you've gotten pictures of but if you don't get a chance at them what's that good for? A scrap book they put a lot of pressure on the deer herd that people just do not realize.

#3034569 - 11/15/12 11:53 AM Re: BSK [Re: BlountArrow]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: BlountArrow
...I run cameras about 8 months out of the year on our small farm and I typically never, get a mature buck on film except between November and mid-January. I just don't see mature bucks on my property in the Spring/Summer and even early Fall. I'm not going to say that means they definitely aren't there but they sure aren't showing up for a photo-op.

Odds are, they are not there in summer. This is actually quite common. Most hunters are now aware of the idea of a deer's "annual range"--all of the area that deer covers over an entire year--but what they don't seem to understand is that most deer do not use all of their annual range all of the time. In many cases, an individual deer only uses part of his/her annual range during different times of the year, and that individual deer may only use one portion of their range during the fall hunting months. In fact, the fall hunting months may be the only time of the year that deer uses that part of their range, hence would never be seen there at any other time of year.

#3034574 - 11/15/12 11:55 AM Re: BSK [Re: BSK]
deerhunter10
10 Point

I gotta good question for you where do you get all this information? Are you a biologist or what source do you get it?

#3034579 - 11/15/12 11:57 AM Re: BSK [Re: deerhunter10]
BSK
Non-Typical

I understand that some properties you won't be able to scout the bachelor groups but that's why going in after season can pay off big deer have a small home range.

Many deer, and especially older bucks, can have massive home ranges, some being documented in excess of 18,000 acres. Now on average, it is not going to be anywhere close to that big, but shifting seasonal ranges can cause deer to move considerable distances from one season to another, and especially during the rut--sometimes these shifts can be measured in miles.

#3034580 - 11/15/12 11:58 AM Re: BSK [Re: deerhunter10]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

I gotta good question for you where do you get all this information? Are you a biologist or what source do you get it?

Bingo and then some.

Page 3 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
3 registered (MickThompson, Deerhunter, 1 invisible) and 84 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180120 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.011 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.