Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 6 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3033364 - 11/14/12 04:32 PM Re: Mature buck or not?...PICS ADDED [Re: travle]
plinker22
16 Point

Loc: Mountians of East Tennessee

BSK has a class on Aging Deer on the Hoof. It was the beginning of my learning to age bucks. You can also find many pictures on the internet. However, timing makes all the difference. In the late Fall, near the rut, bucks are much easier to age.

Your buck... very mature. Neck, chest, gut, hams, short legs, antler bases: all point to Mature Deer.

Hope to see his jaw-bone soon. \:D Hope you get him.

#3033388 - 11/14/12 04:51 PM Re: Mature buck or not?...PICS ADDED [Re: travle]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: travle
Maybe if mass is a concern for you, might not be, you could put out several mineral locations to help future bucks produce heavier racks.

Unfortunately, there is no scientific evidence what-so-ever that mineral supplementation does anything for deer or antler growth.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3033462 - 11/14/12 06:12 PM Re: Mature buck or not?...PICS ADDED [Re: BSK]
travle
4 Point

Loc: NW Tenn

I'm sorry, but i just don't see how minerals that you buy from Co-op that support animal health wouldn't support a deer's health. Every animal needs nutrients to support a healthy body. Even we do.
#3033494 - 11/14/12 06:39 PM Re: Mature buck or not?...PICS ADDED [Re: travle]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: travle
I'm sorry, but i just don't see how minerals that you buy from Co-op that support animal health wouldn't support a deer's health. Every animal needs nutrients to support a healthy body. Even we do.

Yet there is no evidence those minerals are even digestible by deer let alone actually do anything. And I promise you, mineral supplementation makers have tried to produce evidence of health improvements. So far, nada.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3033766 - 11/14/12 10:09 PM Re: Mature buck or not?...PICS ADDED [Re: BlountArrow]
String Music
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville

content Online
 Originally Posted By: BlountArrow
Wow, guys I definitely have some age studying to do as I would not have imagined he was that old. Maybe I can down me a big Mountain Buck here like ol' String Music. We do have a couple places that are fortunately off limits just by the natural lay of the terrain, but something I need to be more serious about indeed.

Figure out where he beds and your chances of harvesting will increase. Do you have a topo of your property?
"For I know the plans I have for you..." Jer. 29:11

Hunting Photography:

facebook.com/AMOutdoorPhotography

www.amcunninghamoutdoors.com

#3033797 - 11/14/12 10:58 PM Re: Mature buck or not?...PICS ADDED [Re: String Music]
tikkashooter
8 Point

Loc: Kingston, TN

Brother I hunt here in Blount and the best buck I have seen was an 8 this year and he wasn't near as big as the smallest of those three. I would say they are all shooters around here for sure!

#3033800 - 11/14/12 11:00 PM Re: Mature buck or not?...PICS ADDED [Re: String Music]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

content Online
Imo he's 3.5 he doesn't seem to have the mass of a 4.5 or 5.5 deer we have killed 3.5 year olds before and field dressed over 200 pounds so can't just go off of body. He has a good good body but not much mass for me to say he is above 3.5. Imo

#3033868 - 11/15/12 05:34 AM Re: Mature buck or not?...PICS ADDED - UPDATE [Re: deerhunter10]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

content Online
So, I ran out real quick yesterday to grab a trail cam that is in a different spot than these night time photos and guess who strolled through at 9:50am on Mon 11/12 and guess who strolled through yesterday evening at 4:58pm. Yes, sir - this buck right here. "Unfortunately", I have prior hunting commitments with a friend and his family elsewhere so my brother and I did some serious figuring last night and hopefully my brother can get on this buck. We already have a stand in the day time photos location and you can slip into it very quietly. If the wind is right maybe my brother will get him Saturday. But, things never seem to go exactly as planned.

#3033889 - 11/15/12 06:01 AM Re: Mature buck or not?...PICS ADDED [Re: String Music]
HOOK
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Rutherford County, TN

Very....I'd put him at 6.5

#3033896 - 11/15/12 06:13 AM Re: Mature buck or not?...PICS ADDED - UPDATE [Re: String Music]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

content Online
 Originally Posted By: String Music
 Originally Posted By: BlountArrow
Wow, guys I definitely have some age studying to do as I would not have imagined he was that old. Maybe I can down me a big Mountain Buck here like ol' String Music. We do have a couple places that are fortunately off limits just by the natural lay of the terrain, but something I need to be more serious about indeed.

Figure out where he beds and your chances of harvesting will increase. Do you have a topo of your property?

Now that I have daytime photos we're hoping we can make it happen. I have a pretty good idea of where he could be bedding. The only maps I have of the property are off of the property assessor's website - but I grew up here so I know the lay of the land from years of boot work.

Page 3 of 6 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
153 registered (lung-buster, pressfit, jmoreland, Country1, Daniel Willoughby, dmonty, 17 invisible) and 199 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91457 Topics
1069182 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.041 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.