Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3033334 - 11/14/12 03:46 PM Libertarian platform-
guthooked
4 Point

Loc: Gibbs

Yesterday a couple of you were confused about what it meant to be a "Libertarian". In fact, in your expertise (or lack thereof) you attempted to tell me that the right to a personal choice on abortion, and the right for homosexuals to do pretty much whatever they want (including get married) were not conservative or libertarian ideas.

You were wrong. Libertarian beliefs espouse the rights and liberties of individuals so long as they don't infringe on others. It is a very conservative principle. Ironically, some of what you see as "conservative" like basing laws on religious belief, is anything but conservative.

As evidence to support my argument I attach a link to the Libertarian Party platform.

My concern with both the Tea Party Republicans and Extremely Liberal Democrats is that they are attempting to take away the rights of the individual. It troubles me that you're okay with people losing their person rights and liberties... as long as it's not you.

http://www.lp.org/platform

Edited by guthooked (11/14/12 03:47 PM)

#3033335 - 11/14/12 03:47 PM Re: Libertarian platform- [Re: guthooked]
guthooked
4 Point

Don't tread on me... Or anyone else for that matter.

#3033410 - 11/14/12 05:17 PM Re: Libertarian platform- [Re: guthooked]
FLTENNHUNTER1
16 Point

Loc: Tampa FL

I lean towards being Libertarian.

I believe a women has the right to choose. She has the right to choose to keep her legs closed. Once the child is conceived, the unborn child has as much right to live as any human being.

I didn't read the entire Libertarian platform, but I pretty much agree with everything I read.

#3033419 - 11/14/12 05:25 PM Re: Libertarian platform- [Re: FLTENNHUNTER1]
Wildcat
Non-Typical

Loc: Western Ky.

On another forum there is a guy that is the most liberal person I've ever delt with on the net. But for years he keeps posting that he is not a liberal but a "Libertarian".

#3033425 - 11/14/12 05:30 PM Re: Libertarian platform- [Re: FLTENNHUNTER1]
de novo
10 Point

Loc: Middle TN

There was no confusion what Libertarians stand for. I am often criticized on here for these positions and my support of Libertarian candidates over Republicans. The point of contention was your attempt to mask the goals of Obama administration as Libertarian. They are more in line with Karl Marx than Ron Paul.

The Libertarian platform has three major positions with 23 planks. How many do you read and think, yes, this is what Obama stands for?

Libertarians explicitly oppose the government financing or mandating personal choices like abortion or gay rights. The government currently is in the business of doing both. Taxpayer funded abortion procedures and mandating preferential treatment for gays is not Libertarian.

1.3 Personal Relationships

Sexual orientation, preference, gender, or gender identity should have no impact on the government's treatment of individuals, such as in current marriage, child custody, adoption, immigration or military service laws. Government does not have the authority to define, license or restrict personal relationships. Consenting adults should be free to choose their own sexual practices and personal relationships.

1.4 Abortion

Recognizing that abortion is a sensitive issue and that people can hold good-faith views on all sides, we believe that government should be kept out of the matter, leaving the question to each person for their conscientious consideration.

“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.”

#3033477 - 11/14/12 06:27 PM Re: Libertarian platform- [Re: de novo]
guthooked
4 Point

I said it yesterday, and I'll say it again: Both parties have some libertarian stances. I am as troubled by the tea party stances of trying to prohibit people from doing what they want (gay rights, abortion law) as I am by what I would agree are some communist-like stances of the democratic party.

I don't want a marxist society; I don't want to live under dictatorial beliefs that prohibit me from doing what I or anyone else want to do based on religious beliefs that not everyone holds. Believe what you want, just don't believe that people that don't believe it have to follow the same rules.

Those far right beliefs about homosexuality in particular are also rather marxist. That's all.

I always wonder how I would feel if any party prohibited me from doing what I wanted. I'm on my second marriage and my first wife is still alive. There are those far right christians that believe such things should be illegal because they believe they are immoral.

In order to protect my own liberties, I must recognize and protect those of others... right?

#3033480 - 11/14/12 06:28 PM Re: Libertarian platform- [Re: Wildcat]
guthooked
4 Point

On another forum there is a guy that is the most liberal person I've ever delt with on the net. But for years he keeps posting that he is not a liberal but a "Libertarian".

Obviously that's not me, but I've met the type. I think it's cause the words sound the same... just ignorance really.

Edited by guthooked (11/14/12 06:29 PM)

#3033539 - 11/14/12 07:08 PM Re: Libertarian platform- [Re: guthooked]
FLTENNHUNTER1
16 Point

Loc: Tampa FL

The Tea Party movement is an American political movement that advocates strict adherence to the United States Constitution, reducing U.S. government spending and taxes, and reduction of the U.S. national debt and federal budget deficit. The movement is generally considered to be partly conservative, partly libertarian, and partly populist.

I have been a Tea Party Patriot and Tea Party supporter for several years now. Not once has anything been mentioned about Gay Rights or Abortion. The Tea Party stands for Taxed Enough Already.

#3033547 - 11/14/12 07:12 PM Re: Libertarian platform- [Re: guthooked]
Wildcat
Non-Typical

Loc: Western Ky.

Originally Posted By: guthooked

Obviously that's not me, but I've met the type. I think it's cause the words sound the same... just ignorance really.

Nope, he's 100% pure liberal and he HAS posted several times over the years that he was a "Libertarian". People ASKED him about it and he kept posting the same thing about being a "Libertarian".

#3033683 - 11/14/12 08:48 PM Re: Libertarian platform- [Re: Wildcat]
waynesworld
8 Point

Loc: Mboro, Tennessee

While the lib views always sound nice and some of the platforms attract a lot of the population because it is based on I can do what I want as long as I don't hurt you. Some things that I would love to here is if you can not harm anyone then how can abortion be legal as it kills an unborn child. Ok well lets look at marriage so then gay marriage is ok then you look at multiple marriage and how about age to get married are of consent is it hurting someone? Now lets look at obama care if i marry 100 wifes and live do all my wife's get my insurance. also get my ss when I die. OK legalize drugs so what about the harm that the drugs do to society or will we change our disability so if you fry your own brains you will be on your own otherwise I have to support you.

Now don't get me wrong I am not for big govt and do not agree with all the republican party. I would love to see another party developed but I can not support the one of the lib. I think that we need a party that turns most of the decisions back to the state like the country was first created. The federal black male that has been going on now is gone over the top. It is not the federal job to redistribution of welth.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  gtk, Crappie Luck, Tennessee Todd, RUGER, Unicam, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Bobby G, Kimber45 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (matt15) and 46 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.006 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.