Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3033329 - 11/14/12 03:42 PM This Morning's Hunt
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

Yesterday my buddy and I saw 16 different bucks but no shooters. No chasing or rutting yet either but they're beginning to move some at Ames. This morning going in I was watching the ground directly in front of me while walking in and just happened to look up to see a skunk running about 10 feet ahead of me. That was the last thing on my mind and would have been a wonderful way to start the day but he decided to take an exit to the left so I lucked out. I got to where I was going to hunt and found my tree. I was in a thick overgrown grass field 50 yards off a bean field. I have seen alot of deer working the edge here in the past. I'd never climbed this tree before so it took awhile to get 30 feet up after cutting branches along the way. By the time I got situated and began pulling my rifle up first light had arrived. Before I could get my rifle off the ground I glanced along the edge and a big bodied deer had come by and was entering the pines. I never could tell what it was. A little while later an 8 pointer pushing 125" came by and gave me all kinds of broadside shots from 30 yards out. While he was standing in front of me another smaller 8 pointer (110") walked out. The first buck did a stare down and finally headed towards him. The closer he got the more his hair raised up and his ears laid back. Finally he started side stepping and I thought I was going to be in for a treat but the second buck did the submissive thing and after that they got along without mishap. Shortly after they walked off I had a couple of smaller bucks come by and then I looked up in time to see 2 bucks running the far edge of the field before they entered the woods. At 450 yards I had no problem seeing their antlers but I can't swear exactly how big they were. I had a tree on the other end of the field I wanted to pre-climb and had some more limbs to cut so I climbed down. Just as I got there I noticed a doe standing in the small cove. Since that's what I was after this morning in the first place I knelt down and started to shoot but she was so small I decided to let her go. She walked into a thicket on the other side of the field and I proceeded on. I glanced up briefly and thought I saw her going back across the cove before I did a double take noticing that was not the doe. I got my binocs up just in time to see a 140" deer disappear. He never saw or heard me so I sat down to see if he'd come back out. Not today. While I was sitting there another smaller buck walked within feet of me never realizing I was there. When it quieted down I climbed the tree I wanted to get ready (about 75 yards from where these deer were). After I climbed down and headed to the truck another small buck walked out. (I think these bucks like the sound of me sawing limbs). I called it a morning after that. No deer but enough to begin getting interesting. Back again in the morning.

Edited by Mike Belt (11/14/12 03:46 PM)

#3033339 - 11/14/12 03:49 PM Re: This Morning's Hunt [Re: Mike Belt]
BigD_625
10 Point

Loc: Maury County, TN

Sounds like an entertaining morning.

#3033342 - 11/14/12 03:54 PM Re: This Morning's Hunt [Re: BigD_625]
guthooked
4 Point

Loc: Gibbs

nice hunt

#3033343 - 11/14/12 03:55 PM Re: This Morning's Hunt [Re: BigD_625]
Hill Country Hunter
10 Point

Loc: Chattanooga, TN

You may have seen as many deer this morning as I have seen since the season opened! Go get 'em!
If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. ... May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
-Sam Adams

#3033407 - 11/14/12 05:12 PM Re: This Morning's Hunt [Re: Hill Country Hunter]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Yesterday, my buddy and I saw 16 different bucks but no shooters. No chasing or rutting yet either but they're beginning to move some at Ames.

This morning going in I was watching the ground directly in front of me while walking in and just happened to look up to see a skunk running about 10 feet ahead of me. That was the last thing on my mind and would have been a wonderful way to start the day but he decided to take an exit to the left so I lucked out.

I got to where I was going to hunt and found my tree. I was in a thick overgrown grass field 50 yards off a bean field. I have seen a lot of deer working the edge here in the past. I'd never climbed this tree before so it took awhile to get 30 feet up after cutting branches along the way. By the time I got situated and began pulling my rifle up, first light had arrived. Before I could get my rifle off the ground, I glanced along the edge and a big bodied deer had come by and was entering the pines.

I never could tell what it was. A little while later, an 8 pointer pushing 125" came by and gave me all kinds of broadside shots from 30 yards out. While he was standing in front of me, another smaller 8 pointer (110") walked out. The first buck did a stare down and finally headed towards him. The closer he got, the more his hair raised up and his ears laid back. Finally, he started side stepping and I thought I was going to be in for a treat but the second buck did the submissive thing and after that they got along without mishap.

Shortly after they walked off, I had a couple of smaller bucks come by and then, I looked up in time to see 2 bucks running the far edge of the field before they entered the woods. At 450 yards, I had no problem seeing their antlers but I can't swear exactly how big they were.

I had a tree on the other end of the field I wanted to pre-climb and had some more limbs to cut so I climbed down. Just as I got there I noticed a doe standing in the small cove. Since that's what I was after this morning in the first place, I knelt down and started to shoot but she was so small I decided to let her go. She walked into a thicket on the other side of the field and I proceeded on. I glanced up briefly and thought I saw her going back across the cove before I did a double take noticing that was not the doe. I got my binocs up just in time to see a 140" deer disappear. He never saw or heard me so I sat down to see if he'd come back out. Not today.

While I was sitting there another smaller buck walked within feet of me never realizing I was there. When it quieted down, I climbed the tree I wanted to get ready (about 75 yards from where these deer were). After I climbed down and headed to the truck, another small buck walked out. (I think these bucks like the sound of me sawing limbs). I called it a morning after that. No deer but enough to begin getting interesting. Back again in the morning.

Edited by Mike Belt (Today at 03:46 PM

Edited by bowriter (11/14/12 05:16 PM)

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
piglet84, Bowfire985, TieCampBuckSlayer, ChuckNorris, Breesor1
13085 Registered Users
Who's Online
123 registered (rem270, SES, adirondack46r, TX300mag, Poser, Mr. Hawk, 16 invisible) and 170 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13085 Members
42 Forums
88240 Topics
1033675 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.244 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.