Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3031172 - 11/13/12 10:58 AM Land Clearing Question
Stick'n'String
10 Point

Loc: Nashville

Purchased 40 acres of mature timber and want to make some openings for a few plots (Probably less than 3 acres) and a road into the property. The plots would preferably be 1/4 to 1 acre in size.

When I say mature timber we have quite a few white oaks over 20" dbh with mixed oaks, hickory, beech, etc of the same size and the understory is dominated with small saplings.

I met with a state forester who didn't think we would be able to find a logger but recommended eliminating undergrowth and completing a crop tree release. All that said I'm considering my options for opening up a few spots.

Here are my thoughts -
1. Do I try to find a logger or firewood cutter that would potentially get me a little $?
2. Hire a dozer operator to just push timber?
3. Hire a group with a bobcat mulcher to shred?

The property is in Hendersonville (Sumner County) if you have any recommendations. And I'd appreciate any pros/cons of each option.

>>>--------->

#3031204 - 11/13/12 11:15 AM Re: Land Clearing Question [Re: Stick'n'String]
tn droptine
8 Point

Loc: Chester Co, TN/Afghanistan

I have been looking into the same thing, however my woods is not as established as what it sounds like yours are.

For the small amount of clearing you are looking at doing it will probably be tough to find any loggers to take on that small of a size in acreage. Maybe consider doing a select cut on 10-15 acres in addition to the small clearings?
The dozer operator would be my choice, however, I would look to have a trackhoe hired to do the stump removal, from what I have seen they cause less damage than a dozer as far as topsoil goes.
I would assume that the bobcat mulcher would work for areas that have mostly young trees and underbrush, but not much as far as tree removal and opening up the canopy to allow more sunlight to the plot.

#3031547 - 11/13/12 03:16 PM Re: Land Clearing Question [Re: tn droptine]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: tn droptine
I have been looking into the same thing, however my woods is not as established as what it sounds like yours are.

For the small amount of clearing you are looking at doing it will probably be tough to find any loggers to take on that small of a size in acreage. Maybe consider doing a select cut on 10-15 acres in addition to the small clearings?
The dozer operator would be my choice, however, I would look to have a trackhoe hired to do the stump removal, from what I have seen they cause less damage than a dozer as far as topsoil goes.
I would assume that the bobcat mulcher would work for areas that have mostly young trees and underbrush, but not much as far as tree removal and opening up the canopy to allow more sunlight to the plot.

X2

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3031576 - 11/13/12 03:37 PM Re: Land Clearing Question [Re: BSK]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

I figure out just how much board foot of each grade and each species Im going to lose by just pushing it over. Then check the weekly timber report, take about half the value of the timber im going to be clearing(because you would generally get 50% of total value from a logger) and see if Im willing to lose that amount of money or not. Right now Im holding off on expanding a 1.5 acre plot into a 3 acre plot because it would mean pushing over about $1500 (to me) worth of timber and just wasting it. So I will wait on that until I have enough acreage ready to cut for a logger to come in. On another spot, I sold 20 acres of timber in 2 different patches and cleared 1 acre in one of the logged areas after the fairly valuable white oak was removed. On another, I just pushed everything away on 5 acres in 4 different plots because there was little timber value there. It is hard to answer anything specific on your question without really seeing the timber in question. You have to think about this also, it is generally cheaper for a operator to push over bigger trees than it is to dig out stumps. The top weight of the tree gives more leverage for getting the stump to come up and out. So with a bunch of stumps you may actually pay more to have it cleared than if you would have just pushed it over.

#3031642 - 11/13/12 04:22 PM Re: Land Clearing Question [Re: Stick'n'String]
Hawk
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: west tenn.

If you have 40 acres of timber that averages 20' dbh you should not have any trouble finding some one to cut the timber that is unless you just want a few here and a few there cut. I would cut it all and use some some the money to make some openings for food plots.

You could just poison the beech and hickory trees to make more cover.

#3031704 - 11/13/12 05:00 PM Re: Land Clearing Question [Re: Hawk]
jar
4 Point

Loc: tn, rutherford county

I had a guy cut about 5 acres of hard maples on my place. I didnt make much money but it got the trees out of here. Went back through and planted clover and chickory in the roads. I dont hunt back there much but last week I did and saw 6 does and a small buck. The year before I didnt see 6 deer on my place all season long.
#3031773 - 11/13/12 05:55 PM Re: Land Clearing Question [Re: jar]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

The problem would be finding a logger that would be interested in cutting such a small area.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3034734 - 11/15/12 01:25 PM Re: Land Clearing Question [Re: BSK]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Dont mulch it all up,unless you have a way to get rid of it,not a good seed bed

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3034786 - 11/15/12 01:52 PM Re: Land Clearing Question [Re: Football Hunter]
Urban_Hunter
8 Point

Loc: TN

I wouldn't do the dozer. Makes a mess and leaves a bigger one. I would find someone who sells firewood, tell them they can have it all but must take it all. Thats what we did and it worked well. He sold the good wood and burned the rest in a big pile at his place. We blasted the stumps... but this was years ago... and not in Hendersonville. Which side of H-Town is your property on? The guy that did ours may be interested if you are.

You're never to old to learn something stupid.

#3043815 - 11/21/12 03:13 PM Re: Land Clearing Question [Re: Urban_Hunter]
Stick'n'String
10 Point

Loc: Nashville

The property will eventually become our home site so I definitely don't want to clear cut the entire place.

However another question to those with experience (even if I would accept a 70/30 or even 80/20 split) you don't think I could find a logger to cut 5 acres of 100 year timber? It would only take one road to cut all the areas I'm interested in clearing. Main goal would be opening up canopy and I hate to see such great timber rot in a big pile. If I could get a little money to pay for stump removal would be a bonus in my eyes.

UH - property is on north side of Hville. Near Tyree Springs road.

Edited by Stick'n'String (11/21/12 03:16 PM)

>>>--------->

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
89 registered (broncohunter, TDW05, easy45, muzzy76, kornbread, Poleaxe, 10 invisible) and 165 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
96146 Topics
1125840 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.063 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.