Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3030992 - 11/13/12 09:22 AM Hunting Roosevelt
OldNewbie
Button

Loc: Knoville TN

Hi all. New to the site, and relatively new to deer hunting. Appreciate the general atmosphere of transparency here - you guys aren't afraid to tell it like it is. I live in Knoxville and typically hunt either Royal Blue or Mt Roosevelt. Either they are both rather scarce on deer, or I just dont know where to look. Assuming the latter, any tips on topography, vegetation, or other landmarks that could help increase my chances of seeing something, would be appreciated. I'm at the point where just seeing a deer in the woods would be a welcome change.
#3031004 - 11/13/12 09:28 AM Re: Hunting Roosevelt [Re: OldNewbie]
Happy Birthday Diehard Hunter
CRAMP
12 Point

Loc: East Tennessee

Sending pm now

#3031017 - 11/13/12 09:36 AM Re: Hunting Roosevelt [Re: OldNewbie]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

on public land with the season well underway (like it is now - and it will get worse after this weekend) you need to hunt the hunters just as much or more than the deer themselves.

The average hunter likes to see pretty far and avoid a lot of work. On public land, the average hunter also has a (relatively) low success rate.

Break that trend by acting different than the average hunter. In an area with large timber tracts, find a thicket and look for trails/sign around it. Be willing to get there earlier, walk a little farther, and hunt in tighter spots. As hunting pressure rises, deer will hunker down and not travel as much in open areas.

Get yourself a set of pruners and a small folding/retractable hand saw (mine is made by Gerber and is very light). Look for pockets/openings in thickets, or set up against the thicket off of the trail - never hunt ON the trails...you don't want the deer in your lap. Extra points for your spot if it doesn't flood and has food sources nearby.

Your main motivation should be scouting for areas that other hunters aren't actively hunting (probably because they are thicker than they would like) and that have signs of being used by deer.

Be willing to hunt later than most as well - many deer start moving around as hunters begin to leave at the 9-10 o'clock time frame.

A GPS unit will be very helpful, as finding these places in the dark can get really tricky, and you don't want to use a bunch of trail markers to advertise your spot.

#3031212 - 11/13/12 11:19 AM Re: Hunting Roosevelt [Re: Crosshairy]
cfmartin1833
6 Point

Loc: Blount Co.

Some great points mentioned right there!

#3031382 - 11/13/12 01:37 PM Re: Hunting Roosevelt [Re: Crosshairy]
OldNewbie
Button

Loc: Knoville TN

Thanks for response Crosshairy
#3031460 - 11/13/12 02:28 PM Re: Hunting Roosevelt [Re: Crosshairy]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: Crosshairy
on public land with the season well underway (like it is now - and it will get worse after this weekend) you need to hunt the hunters just as much or more than the deer themselves.

The average hunter likes to see pretty far and avoid a lot of work. On public land, the average hunter also has a (relatively) low success rate.

Break that trend by acting different than the average hunter. In an area with large timber tracts, find a thicket and look for trails/sign around it. Be willing to get there earlier, walk a little farther, and hunt in tighter spots. As hunting pressure rises, deer will hunker down and not travel as much in open areas.

Your main motivation should be scouting for areas that other hunters aren't actively hunting (probably because they are thicker than they would like) and that have signs of being used by deer.

Be willing to hunt later than most as well - many deer start moving around as hunters begin to leave at the 9-10 o'clock time frame.

A GPS unit will be very helpful, as finding these places in the dark can get really tricky, and you don't want to use a bunch of trail markers to advertise your spot.

Whats left is good advice imo. Good luck.

#3032124 - 11/13/12 08:31 PM Re: Hunting Roosevelt [Re: Winchester]
feathersandfur2214
4 Point

Loc: Roane Co, TN

Send me a PM . I live not far from Roosevelt and have hunted it for 10 + years.I will give you some pointers if you like
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
zatoan, DanParchman3, saddleman1, Jculber301, Mik475
13282 Registered Users
Who's Online
74 registered (Marion deer hunter, SEC, 1 good shot, paradis1142, catman529, memfuzz, 15 invisible) and 129 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13282 Members
42 Forums
93401 Topics
1090560 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.113 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.