Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3030747 - 11/13/12 07:28 AM SAFETY REQUEST
backstraps
12 Point

Loc: NE Tennessee

I have never used a rope or strap climbing up or down. Once I get to my position on the tree I am going to hunt I lock my harness. Unlock and climb down....now here is the PROBLEM with this scenario:

This pass Saturday night, after sitting for hours 33' up. Closing time arrives and I unhook to begin my descent. I actually climbed about 20 feet or so down the tree when (for what ever reason, no one has figured it out yet) my Summit platform came unhooked and left me on the ground from around 10-12 feet up.

Doesnt sound like much of a big deal to some I suppose. However I was Blessed with only some bruising, slipped disc, inflamation from a twisted spine, irritated sciatic nerves and some really sore muscles.

POINT BEING!: Use you safety devices as they were intended. I was able to walk away, still live my life day to day as usual.

It could have been the exact opposite and much much worse. I was hunting very remote area in Ohio. Easily over an hour and half from the nearest hospital.

DO NOT TAKE THE CHANCE! I didnt like using aids up and down due to the added noise...listen how rediculous that sounds now looking back at what it couldve cost me!

#3030756 - 11/13/12 07:30 AM Re: SAFETY REQUEST [Re: backstraps]
htnseymour
8 Point

Loc: sevier county Tn

Glad you are ok, I just invested in a system for ladder stands that is usable from the ground to the top and also on descent, just to make sure nothing happens

#3030839 - 11/13/12 08:02 AM Re: SAFETY REQUEST [Re: htnseymour]
Hill Country Hunter
10 Point

Loc: Chattanooga, TN

So sorry to hear about your injuries, but glad you are not any worse!

Great reminder!

#3030849 - 11/13/12 08:08 AM Re: SAFETY REQUEST [Re: Hill Country Hunter]
TNDeerGuy
12 Point

Loc: Old Hickory/Mt.Juliet, TN

Glad you are alive to tell the story—that hopefully someone will benefit from! Were you using a climber, or a lock on?
#3030850 - 11/13/12 08:09 AM Re: SAFETY REQUEST [Re: Hill Country Hunter]
Backwudz
8 Point

Loc: Jefferson County, Tn

I use to do this same thing until last year when my platform slipped a foot or so down the tree....It was enough to change my mind real fast! Thanks for the post, we all need to think of our loved one's when we are making these decisions !

#3031038 - 11/13/12 09:49 AM Re: SAFETY REQUEST [Re: TNDeerGuy]
backstraps
12 Point

Loc: NE Tennessee

Originally Posted By: TNDeerGuy
Glad you are alive to tell the story—that hopefully someone will benefit from! Were you using a climber, or a lock on?

A climber

#3031568 - 11/13/12 03:30 PM Re: SAFETY REQUEST [Re: backstraps]
TNDeerGuy
12 Point

Loc: Old Hickory/Mt.Juliet, TN

Originally Posted By: backstraps
 Originally Posted By: TNDeerGuy

A climber

20feet up makes the neatest thing since sliced bread when going up and down the tree with a climber and wanting to stay attached >>>>>> http://20feetup.com/Product_Details.html <<<<<<. Just slide your strap into the slots of the little "buckles" and up you go—no more pia stopping everytime to readjust the strap...just climb as you normally would. When you get up to your desired height, just take the strap out of the slots and cinch against the tree as normal. Do the reverse going back down. If you fall, the weight on the strap cinches against the tree and pulls out of the slots preventing your fall. Here's the video.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiKZLHSmydM&lr=1

#3032006 - 11/13/12 07:33 PM Re: SAFETY REQUEST [Re: TNDeerGuy]
Knothead
12 Point

Loc: Middle TN

People (myself as one of the more 'vocal' ones) on this forum have preached, screamed, posted, lectured, and re-emphasized-----for YEARS---the need to wear a harness FROM THE MOMENT YOUR FEET LEAVE THE GROUND, TILL THEY ARE BACK ON THE GROUND.
Glad you are OK, but I do wish you had heeded the advice that so many have given.
Not trying to shame you, really. I seriously am glad you lived to tell the story and remind others how important it is!!
Statistics show that 75% or greater of the falls happen during ascent or descent.

Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)“The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.”

#3032016 - 11/13/12 07:36 PM Re: SAFETY REQUEST [Re: Knothead]
Knothead
12 Point

Loc: Middle TN

According to statistics, nearly one out of every three hunters that hunt from an elevated stand will fall at some point during their span of hunting. Too many hunters die every year, plus many more are injured as a result of a fall from a treestand. Reports show that simple carelessness appears to be the main reason for treestand accidents. Research also shows that most falls from hunting are, in fact, NOT while you are sitting in the stand, but that nearly 75% of falls happen while the hunter is either ascending or descending the tree, or the ladder. Securing yourself to the tree and keeping at least three points of contact on the ladder or steps at all times are crucial to keeping safe.

Climbing ropes designed with special Prussic knots that allow the hunter to tether themselves to the tree at all times is quickly become the norm all across the country. The Life Line System with a full body harness is about as good as it gets. As more and more hunters realize that safety systems can provide an extra sense of security without much fuss, many are opting to never climb into a treestand again without such systems in place. Additionally, many hunting clubs and leases are now REQUIRING climbing rope systems on their treestands, as this simple system which provides dramatic increase in safety while significantly decreasing climbing accidents, is becoming the norm. With a lifeline and a harness, there is no excuse. You can be connected from the time your feet leave the ground until the time they are back on the ground. If you are not familiar with the Lifeline system, open the link below to read about and watch the video to learn about the HSS Lifeline system.

http://www.huntersafetysystem.com/store/tree-stand-life-line-3-pack.html

Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)“The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.”

#3032086 - 11/13/12 08:15 PM Re: SAFETY REQUEST [Re: Knothead]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

So glad to hear you are still among the living backstraps. Treestand falls can be terrifying and life-altering if not ending events. Three falls was enough for me to stop using climbing stands (as well as other reasons).

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
kiplrrp, MudIslandMemphis, bcole0305, Browningbelgium7, cw308
13555 Registered Users
Who's Online
155 registered (AllOutdoors, missalot, chasinsmallies, donkey5150, LIL JOKER, spctbone, 11 invisible) and 235 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13555 Members
42 Forums
99420 Topics
1169528 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.053 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.