Tndeer Logo

Page 21 of 23 « First<1920212223>
Topic Options
#3025250 - 11/09/12 02:52 PM Re: Post here - you don't need a link [Re: DntBrnDPig]
waynesworld
8 Point

Loc: Mboro, Tennessee

you would be surprised the number of people think that when they go to a H&R block that any mistakes that are made that H&R will pay for under that guarantee but we are a gullible nation \:\) we just proved that.
#3025272 - 11/09/12 03:12 PM Re: Post here - you don't need a link [Re: DntBrnDPig]
Bambi Buster
14 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Originally Posted By: DntBrnDPig
So you did read too much into it. Awesome. I didn't say it wasn't a good deal or a viable option - i said it wasn't a first choice for 'a lot'.

There is definitely a generational divide. Have you seen the elections? Where is the youth vote?

God and Country are GREAT reasons to join the military, but I have to say that the number of those enlisted due to this reason is a small percentage. 9/11 attacks were 10 years ago. Those people who signed up have served and are out. Did 'God and Country' peak during that time - I am 100% sure it did. But kids signing up now were less than 10 years old and learn about 9/11 in school.

'A lot' of these sign up because its a job and they can get a better education. Some sign up because they get to shoot guns and blow stuff up. Some sign up because of God and Country. Some sign up because its what their Dad did and it's kinda expected. Some sign up because they want to help other countries. Some sign up because they can get citizenship.

I'm repeating myself I know. But reading and comprehending is tough to come by these days.

...As is the ability to write and speak concisely. The same can be said for any understanding of the concepts of service, obligation and earning worthwhile things rather than being entitled to them. It's all part of the cultural/generational divide of which I wrote.

#3025336 - 11/09/12 03:46 PM Re: Post here - you don't need a link [Re: Bambi Buster]
DntBrnDPig
8 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN

I understand that you're a military guy, and obviously proud of it. And that's awesome. But the fact remains - people sign up for various reasons. I'm not sure why that upsets you or how that makes me entitled.

I have a friend who served in the Marines. He joined because he had lost his job and his wife and needed a 'fresh start' and a job. He went to Iraq - the second time.

He is a devout Christian but didn't join for 'God and Country' as his primary reason. Is his service any less righteous to you?

#3025401 - 11/09/12 04:34 PM Re: Post here - you don't need a link [Re: DntBrnDPig]
Bambi Buster
14 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

I understand that you're a military guy, and obviously proud of it. And that's awesome. But the fact remains - people sign up for various reasons. I'm not sure why that upsets you or how that makes me entitled.

I have a friend who served in the Marines. He joined because he had lost his job and his wife and needed a 'fresh start' and a job. He went to Iraq - the second time.

He is a devout Christian but didn't join for 'God and Country' as his primary reason. Is his service any less righteous to you?

First and by far most importantly, I am not a military guy. I detest posers and never want to be mistaken for one. Though that was an incorrect assumption on your part, I can understand how you might have made it since I post frequently on military topics. Never once have I claimed or even hinted insofar as I know, here or elsewhere, that I served in the military. I do have the privilege of counting among my friends a great many who did and currently do. I make no apologies for being supportive, defensive and protective of them.

Having made that clear I hope, on to the matter at hand. I have literally several dozen friends who served in the Marine Corps and nearly as many in the Army. Nearly all are combat arms MOSs if you know what that means. I know of not a single one among them who was "forced" to join the military because it was his only other option for college. If you recall it was that contention of yours that prompted my original post. According to your story , that was not your friend's motivation either.

As for the "righteous" of your USMC friend's service, I do not recall having previously made reference to righteousness, nor in the case of the service of someone I've never met and know nothing about, would I presume to. Something about "reading into" and reading comprehension comes to mind here.

One other thing. Although motivations for enlisting vary, those who have seen combat, fired shots in anger, and returned fire will tell you it is ultimately not about God, country, apple pie, flag, baseball or tuituion assistance. It is about the men fighting alongside you. That, however, was not the subject of this discussion.

#3025486 - 11/09/12 05:59 PM Re: Post here - you don't need a link [Re: Bambi Buster]
FLTENNHUNTER1
16 Point

Loc: Tampa FL

Originally Posted By: Bambi Buster

First and by far most importantly, I am not a military guy. I detest posers and never want to be mistaken for one. Though that was an incorrect assumption on your part, I can understand how you might have made it since I post frequently on military topics. Never once have I claimed or even hinted insofar as I know, here or elsewhere, that I served in the military. I do have the privilege of counting among my friends a great many who did and currently do. I make no apologies for being supportive, defensive and protective of them.

Having made that clear I hope, on to the matter at hand. I have literally several dozen friends who served in the Marine Corps and nearly as many in the Army. Nearly all are combat arms MOSs if you know what that means. I know of not one who was "forced" to join the military because it was his only other option for college. If you recall it was that contention of yours that prompted my original post. According to your story , that was not your friend's motivation either.

As for the "righteous" of your USMC friend's service, I do not recall having previously made reference to righteousness, nor in the case of the service of someone I've never met and know nothing about, would I presume to. Something about "reading into" and reading comprehension comes to mind here.

One other thing. Although motivations for enlisting vary, those who have seen combat, fired shots in anger, and returned fire will tell you it is ultimately not about God, country, apple pie, flag, baseball or tuituion assistance. It is about the men fighting alongside you. That, however, was not the subject of this discussion.

Bambi Buster might not have served in the military, but he serves those who do. Bambi Buster had a long career in law enforcement and was on the front lines in this country on a daily basis and was willing to sacrifice his life for guys like me; nonmilitary and not in law enforcement. That in my eyes and heart is as good as our troops.

My son is in the military and is surrounded by young men who joined the service for love of country, nothing else. Now he is looking to exit the military because of his unwillingness to serve under the command of our current and future CIC.

My father and father in law both served in the military for their love of this country. My father in law was a P.O.W. in Germany. He is buried in the Florida National Cemetery. We will make our annual Veterans Day trek up there this Sunday out of respect for his sacrifice and all of the outstanding Americans surrounding him I have multiple cousins who are currently in the military for love of country. To say "most" of our troops sign up for "free stuff" is an insult to them and an insult to my family.

But then again, you are right. Here is some of the "free stuff" he received:

#3025546 - 11/09/12 06:51 PM Re: Post here - you don't need a link [Re: FLTENNHUNTER1]
DntBrnDPig
8 Point

Thanks for your son's service and families sacrifices. My intention is not to insult your family.

Based on my own experiences and my own conversations with newly enlisted kids about why they joined the Navy, Reserve, Air Force, Army, Marines - the amount of kids who said 'I love my country' can be counted on one hand (maybe even one finger).

If that is true about your sons peers, that's awesome.

#3025580 - 11/09/12 07:12 PM Re: Post here - you don't need a link [Re: DntBrnDPig]
Wildcat
Non-Typical

Loc: Western Ky.

Not one path is good for all. I'm 30 years old. Have a house with some acreage, couple cars, family, 2 kids, and a good job. The path I took worked great for me. The only debt I have is the remaining student loan and my house.

I know of lot of people I went to High School with that took the route of getting a job and trying to go to college when they can. They are still in the same job and don't have enough credits to get an Associates. On the flip side my Dad doesn't have a degree and makes more money than I do working on the railroad. But what gives you a better chance in life. A degree or not having one?

Oh and I never once flip flopped anything I said and I stick to it. Go back and READ with those paid off college degrees and experienced business minds you are so proud of.

It's like reading Fox News in here. Is Karl Rove still saying Romney can win Ohio?

BS.

You went from 85K to 35K and said you was a Republican and then a Libertarian. That's just two things, the rest of your posts are the same over and over. You backpeal so much that you seem to be trying to pass Rachel Maddow record of bacpealing.

#3025611 - 11/09/12 07:20 PM Re: Post here - you don't need a link [Re: Wildcat]
DntBrnDPig
8 Point

Again you're deaf not blind. Read. Which is what post over and over.

Quote me where I said I had 85k in debt, please. I vote Republican but would have voted Paul if he had a chance in Hades.

Glad to see the bitter old man is back though.

#3025633 - 11/09/12 07:27 PM Re: Post here - you don't need a link [Re: DntBrnDPig]
Wildcat
Non-Typical

Again you're deaf not blind. Read. Which is what post over and over.

Quote me where I said I had 85k in debt, please. I vote Republican but would have voted Paul if he had a chance in Hades.

Glad to see the bitter old man is back though.
Nope, I'm not the only one that called you out. EVERYBODY did. YOU are the blind one. The sad thing about it is you are blind to yourself while everybody sees it and has posted about it. no wonder your complaining about your school loans, they didn't teach you anything.

#3025639 - 11/09/12 07:29 PM Re: Post here - you don't need a link [Re: DntBrnDPig]
Wildcat
Non-Typical

Hey, I'm Republican.. but really? How can you deny that this is the least productive congress...

See this???

YOU did say you was a Republican.

I'm watching the UK-Maryland game

Page 21 of 23 « First<1920212223>

Moderator:  Crappie Luck, Tennessee Todd, RUGER, Unicam, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Bobby G, Kimber45, Kirk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Fish N Hunt, bowednlazy, ULTIMATE TARGETS, Philski, Original Booger
13295 Registered Users
Who's Online
24 registered (BHC, deerhunter10, redblood, Blue5, stryker, Master Chief, 1 invisible) and 77 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13295 Members
42 Forums
85655 Topics
1035054 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.287 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.